Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project "Immersia" - Using the new uLmerSIA engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 00:55
OK, how to describe... Start with System Shock II. Add a touch of Half life. Insert Tetris in it somewhere, and then sprinkle lightly with Generic 3D Platformer. Serve with a side order of Uplink.

You may remember a few years ago I posted a message talking about "Project Glide", and then a year later I restarted with the new title of "Insomnia". Well, that was an INCREDIBLY old version of the game that I am working on now.
My aim is to try and create a game that could possibly steal STRUTT YOUR STUFFs' title as the possibly the best dark basic game ever. And I think that after years of refinement, I may just have a chance.

- The old "Block" map system has been replaced with a new Deus Ex style one. No map editor yet, though.

- Fully 3D. None of the single level problems of the old map systems. Now you can climb on crates, etc. to reach higher platforms.

- Frame skip. No more slowdown.

- Sprite guns are gone. Now they are 3D.

- A System shock 2 "HACK" system is currently 50% complete. This allows you to open security doors, etc.

- 6 weapons: Crowbar, pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, plasma cannon and laser rifle.

The BETA edition is currently 1.06MB zipped, and it is written in DB Classic enhanced. I will post it after a few more things are finished.

I hate these new look forums.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 01:00
Ah, I forgot to mention: You may have noticed that the health and ammo counters are missing and that the interface is looking rather drab and unfinished. These are the things that I am working on right now.

Please comment. I appreciate helpful advice, especially as I am going to attempt to sell this game once it is finished, but please remember that these are very early screenshots; the game will probably not be finished until 2005. The textures etc. are going to be overhauled.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 01:32
This looks like a very impressive project. I do remember saying something similiar about Insominia, but this is a much nicer re-build.

Could very well claim the top shooter catagory. Looks like a game with a lot of depth. Or perhaps "very open"(non-linear) with all the options you've included in feature list.

I'll watch this post for a demo.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 11:02
Looks great!
It's good to see someone who has stuck to one project for so long I'm not saying you didn't have others along the way, I'm saying that this big one is your main one for a while.
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 11:40
Wow cant believe it, one of the best looking fps around here Ive seen and it was written in Classic too That pistol could use a bit of work, but other than that looks like a game I would probably buy
Ill be on the lookout for a demo

-Vash the Stampede

"This world is LOVE and PEACE!" -Vash the Stampede

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 21:42
I've decreased the colour depths and sizes of some of the larger pictures, but they still look fine. I'm just about to upload an early version for you all: source code only, no exes, i'm afraid. I'm hosting it on AOL, see, and all files must be <=1MB. It's about 850KB - you need classic for this to run, hopefully enhanced, but it won't matter too much, just a few weird title screens, etc.

I haven't tried this on Pro yet. Please tell me if it works.

Also, I'm at the stage where I am adding various "Interactive objects" (collectables, computers, etc), so please suggest some.

Another point You might be wondering about is the hack skill. All deus ex fans go boo: Hack is the only upgradable skill.

Yet.

Back in 5 with a tech demo.

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 21:51 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2004 21:52
READ THE CONTROLS.TXT AND ALL THE REM COMMENTS BEFORE RUNNING.

Tha' Link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/gordonpythagoras/Early.zip

If you want to steal my source code, just ask. I can tell you about how it works; Just mention me on the credits. The engine, though incomplete, is easily adaptable. 3D platformers would work fine with this (especially as very thin ceilings can cause the player to fly through themselves if the player jumps at them from below.)

Yet another thing I forgot: None of the models are external, so nicking the .x files is out. just look for the subroutines I used to make the guns and stuff, they're all in there somewhere.

PS: If your computer<>REALLY GOOD then goto FAIL

Even with frameskip, it can still overload your computer with concentrated "meh" if you tax it too much. There are various methods of Skip, but 3 works best. the others all go funny sometimes.

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 21:57
I'v just realised...

Quote: "ceilings can cause the player to fly through themselves "

Sounds painful.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 22:01
You left the code for NG in that source code!!! (i already have it but other people may not!) so remove the code and put 0s it will still run for a few minutes...

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 22:39
"NG"?

I am very busy. Go away.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 22:42 Edited at: 24th Apr 2004 22:44
Some newer images.

EDIT: WORK, damn you...
EDIT2: ^£$%&£"$!!

I am very busy. Go away.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 01:00
Nuclear Glory! you left the activation code in the source (if you are using a version besides 2.03 then please forgive my foolishness )

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 14:52
Nuclear Glory? What's that?

I am very busy. Go away.
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 16:14
Nuclearglory is the guy who made the 3D collision 3rd party commands. You have to download it from his website, at http://www.nuclearglory.com. Its really helpful for 3D collision, check it out sometime.

-Vash the Stampede

Need help? Ask me via email, msn, aim, or forums and Ill see what I can do.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 19:29
Crashes in DBPro for me.

@Magellan - This game doesn't even use Nuclear Glory's collision dll, so why are you saying the activation coeds are in there???

Boo!
Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 21:31
Spooky- I think it's for classic, not pro.

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 23:30 Edited at: 26th Apr 2004 23:44
It is for classic. And now it is exclusively in classic enhanced flavour. I am just uploading the new tech demo (the other one was a little boring, no?) which is about 2.06MB big, and still only in source code form. I am NOT turning this thing into an EXE and then uploading 3MB over a 56K onto Geocities.

Not uploaded yet, but it should be here when uploaded:

http://www.geocities.com/machinaregime/File.zip

Make sure you spell it in the correct case, or it may not work.

Note that geocities doesn't like file linking, so you'll just have to type it into the address bar. Sorry. I can only console you with the fact that this game will RULE when it is finished. I hope you'll agree with me after playing this short demo. I'm bored waiting for it to upload right now, so i'll describe it a little while I wait (and to give you a good reason to download 2MB of my crud).

- Jump sound FX, background noises, an "Object recognition" sound, and a nice atmospheric Half Life style explosion have been added. No music yet, but i'm probably going to do that near the end.
- New object: PDA. Pdas work like the datacubes in deus ex, or like the... um... pdas in system shock 2.
- New title screen, plus all of the interfaces have been redone. Now they look all pretty.
- The hacking interface... is NOT done. Sorry. But on the plus side, it now looks a bit better and I have talked with a few friends about ideas for how it will work. The two ideas i most like are the "MineField" game (originally written by Karpets of Blitz2D fame) which works along the same general lines as minesweeper, and also the much simpler "Stop the arrow when it is in the middle of the coloured bar" idea.

Ah... upload complete. Tell me what you think, guys.

Edit: Oh, and I thought I recognised the name "Nuclear Glory". But I don't use DLLs at all. I made this all myself.

And again: Oh, and also: Invisible wall objects and extra light controls. And a bit of AI. And the crowbar swings. Is that all? I think so...

And AGAIN: And a new level design. And new options in the source code: max sync rate (0 to 60), toggle walk/run, and show FPS. That MUST be everything now...

But it isn't: And you have t right click to bring up the main menu. I thought I'd mention it in case you all sat around waiting for the menu to appear.

I am very busy. Go away.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 01:25
i'm sorry i got your game cunfused with another

i got a error
Quote: "could not find node function "blah blah"..in "blah blah""

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 01:44
It looks great! Very System Shock 2ish. I'm impressed. Will download as soon as I have time to play it !

WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 10:18
Oh, can somebody post it as an exe? My trial version has expired.
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 10:26 Edited at: 27th Apr 2004 10:37
Ok, is it supposed to look like this? There doesn't seem to be a level. Where's the light. I don't know where to go.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 13:43
Ah. It seems to be ignoring all of the static objects that make up the level. Try switching static rendering off in the options at the top of the source. Alternatively, try it on another computer or wait until I have finished the rendering options etc. ingame.

Your problem has given me an idea, though... maybe I should include a render test in the options of the final version, to see if your current setup works. I'll post a few screenies of what it's supposed to look like.

I am very busy. Go away.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 13:57 Edited at: 27th Apr 2004 14:09

I have to say that they don't really do the game justice; You'll have to play it to see it properly.

PS: My computer is a 2.6GHz with 64MB graphics and 256MB RAM, and it runs fairly well. So bear in mind that this game is not going to run well on older machines, especially as the frameskip goes funny if it slows down too much. Any suggestions/examples as to how I could improve the frameskip are welcome. The code I use can be found in the SCYN subroutine.

Edit: Damn jay pegs.

Edit2: RPG_Freak, your interface seems to have run away. did you change the code? If not, then that is just too weird.

I am very busy. Go away.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 19:56 Edited at: 27th Apr 2004 20:00
Progress report.

- I have now added the long delayed ammo counters and health-o-meter.
- More AI has been completed, and all enemies are now there.
- Guns can now run out of ammo. Though you can still equip them when they run out of ammo... something I have to fix.
- A pain effect has been added. The screen turns a reddish tint, and a sound is played.
- A new skip method. Not a terribly good one, but it's there.
- New textures and sounds.

I am very busy. Go away.
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 12:39
I didn't change a single line of code, I just hit make exe button and played.
P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAm, 64MB GeForce4, 80Gig hardrive.
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 12:45
I think it was something to do with the fact that I'm using DB Classic Trial Version.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 19:58
We don't take too kindly to trial versions around here... But don't worry, the next demo will probably be an EXE.

Another progress report, so you all know that i'm doing something.

- As well as the red flash and sound for damage, i've added a neat little bit of code that causes the camera to rock slightly.
- Yet more AI... It's going to be a long haul. The next demo you see will probably have a very simple version of the AI in place, as details will probably take ages.
- Settings are no longer part of the source code. They are now stored in USER.INI along with handy explanations of what each flag does.

A note about the gravity/falling damage. I may leave that "unfinished", as it is probably going to be a spacey game. But if you all want me to work even harder, then i'll fix it properly.

A note about the AI. At the moment, each mobile enemy (ie, not turrets) is given a little box of movement. So, they can't leave wherever the level tells them to. It works pretty well, no getting stuck in walls or anything, aside from the fact that walls have no effect on them. So, they can only be given patrol routes in open areas. When I have finished a bit more, I may change this to include wall collision (So they can walk around levels), but as that would be more than just a tad too much work for me just now, i'll probably just throw together a quick set of logic routines for them before moving on to other areas of the game.

Like... the interface and menu buttons actually doing something.

I am very busy. Go away.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 20:08
I think maybe a new screenshot is called for.

I am very busy. Go away.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 18:08
Progress Report:

I fixed a few bugs. I also did some ICT work for A Level. I Also ate some sandwiches. Uh, That's it for today.

I am very busy. Go away.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 18:58
so is your IT deadline here too? i spent the last two nights typing up my Excel project... well, AS level...

Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
Evil AS level!!!!!!!!! I did they two years a go. I did ICT over 2 years. Every one mess round in class playing chess in Excel!!!! Not me that why I was only rerson to get a B!!!!!!!!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 22:13
I'm afraid I don't have Classic installed on this machine. I'd like to play it, but if you want most people here to be able to, you'll have to put an excecutable version online.

(long live system shock 2)

Cheers!

carpets
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 18:06
hi engo can i make a load of sound effects for this game?

AND THATS WHY YOU ARE NOT CARPETS
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 00:39 Edited at: 1st May 2004 00:42
Greetings, Carpets, my main source of 60 coins.

Another update. I have fixed the AI so that it now goes wherever it damn likes... though there are a few minor glitches such as gravity having zero effect when the enemy wander off ledges. Ohh Dear.

Also, I am getting to work on making the guns look more realistic. Maybe. If I can be bothered sometime soon.

And I edited the test level a bit more, to show off the effects you can add to it to make it less static.

As for an EXE... well, you'll have to wait until the next update, which ought to be the best example of the engine anyway. And also: An exe version would have no editable options, as I only made the preferences flags external a few days ago.

Carpets: As for sound effects... weeell, I have a fair few at the moment. But more would be welcome, sure. I made the big half life explosion effect with Reason, by the way. I assume you also used it to create all of those sound effects ages ago when I was working on the very first version of this game.

PS: Also, what do you think of using MINEFIELD as a hack system? Matt suggested it, and I could probably port it over from blitz fairly easily.

I am very busy. Go away.
carpets
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 00:56
heheh, yeah that's an interesting one.
maybe you should make it so you're playing 'against' the computer you're trying to hack, like in paradroid (which i don't think you've played, but i went mad about a shoddy paradroid clone on that homebrew playstation disc).

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 04:00
CROWBAR!
(crowbar crowbar crowbar)

No game should be without one.

Looks sweet from the screenies though, too bad I don't have DB. Guess I'll just have to wait for an .exe. Anyway, keep it up.
carpets
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2004 15:05
i think there's already a crowbar, and considering the immense connection to half-life, it would be wrong to miss out such an item.

i'll be going totally with making sfx for the next week or so...

Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 00:26
A certain Mr.Dictionary of http://www.mrdictionary.net has suggested a weird hack system based loosely upon the same principle as minefield. He suggests a hexagon grid with start and finish points, and tiles with numbers such as "+5" or "-2" on them. Each time you tread on one, your Score changes depending on what you stepped on, eg. points(7) + tile(-4) gives 3 points. You have to get accross the grid without going over 10 or under -10 points. I think that it would be an interesting idea, but programming a haxagonal grid array doesn't sound as simple as the square based mninefield one. Oh, and Carpets: Do you have a version on Minefield on the internet anywhere? I Want to try it on my new computer, to see if it'll work OK and not freeze up the keyboard every 10 seconds.

I am very busy. Go away.
Teh Missingz0rs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 00:28 Edited at: 3rd May 2004 00:31
Oh, and a new screen shot.

http://www.dx2rebirth.offtopicproductions.com/Screenshot5.jpg

OK, so maybe it isn't from my game, but i've been doing other things all weekend.

Edit: Also, the crowbar, along with most of the other weapons, looks a bit naff because i'm busy getting the engine working first. Simple AI is easy, but GOOD AI isn't.

I am very busy. Go away.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 04:31:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 04:31:08