Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / WOLF Rag-dolls v2 + photo contest!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 22:41
There is a new version of the rag-doll demo available on my site. Some of the fixes/updates are:
-Optimized performance
-More realistic limb rotation
-Fixed collision problems
-Gravity Switch
-A brick wall to smash into
-and a few other things...

There are still a few quirky problems that I haven't fixed yet. One of those being the vertex weights of the model (but that has nothing to do with the physics) and the other is some jittery-ness still remains.
I'd like to get some feedback to see if there are any other "problems" that anyone can see.

I thought it would be a cool idea to have a photo contest of sorts. Pose him however you want and submit the picture here. You can even "enhance" it in photoshop if you'd like to add some "originality". Just don't get too carried away. What is the prize?
If and when I ever release this as a tool of some kind, the winner will get the tool for free (even IF I don't charge anything for it ). OK, so it is more just for fun.

http://www.ericksonline.com/db-tok/WOLF_rag-doll.zip

Let's see some pics

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 23:16
okay here's what i got

and...

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 23:17
Cool! VERY NICE! I'll see if I can muck up something nice

http://www.cysteine.tk/
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 23:32
Laying him down on top of the blocks like that couldn't have been easy
Cool!

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 00:08 Edited at: 24th Apr 2004 00:09
Help! I'm Stuck!!!

Currently coding: MAG
Recent coding: Video Capture Plug-in
I used to be Proteus 1935
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 00:14
lol!

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 03:20
Quote: "Laying him down on top of the blocks like that couldn't have been easy "

ya...took me long enough...you just have to use the timing of switching back and forth between no gravity and gravity

DEANO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 05:46
Got beer?

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."
-ALBERT EINSTEIN
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 08:06 Edited at: 24th Apr 2004 08:21
Using self as bowling ball down stairs = NOT CLEVER

I got my arm stuck behind my leg, and i just keep rotating

Athlon 2600+ @400MHz FSB, Asus A7V600-X & 512MB DDRRAM running at 400MHz, GeForce 4 MX 440, 4x 120mm fans
http://www.jellystudios.tk
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 08:29
I think I can "cure" the getting stuck problems.
The spinning part is easy. If the body has no linear movement for a certain amount of time, I can set the angular velocities to zero.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 16:04 Edited at: 24th Apr 2004 16:13
Is my comp too speedy? He is flying all over without any keypressing! So its impossible to handle his movement. I get fps 330 so he flies away from screen in couple of seconds.

And I also have to press Enter all the time to pause !

And is there a button to start it from beginning?
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 17:27 Edited at: 24th Apr 2004 17:28

fun as hell.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 19:02
Reminds me of stair dismount.

Somebody should make a DB version

Looking great Wolf, real physics in DBPro would certainly make FPS games more enjoyable!

"To do is to be" - Descartes
"To be is to do" - Voltaire
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 20:44
Wow, this is a massive improvement over v1. Weight feels better, rolling down the stairs is faster and more realistic. MAn, Ive wasted so much time playing around with this. Adds massive replay value to games too - Ive spent a good few times on Deus Ex: IW throwing bodies in bins and on fires. Hehe

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 01:01
in Dues Ex i enjoy picking up bodys and throwing them at people

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 05:43
Juso,
I think that might be your problem. Someone on the LLRGT forum has posted the same thing.
I have programmed this so it is "should" be frame rate independent. There may be an issue with the advance function in Tokamak that I was unaware of. I am going to do some more digging to see if it is error on my part. If it is not, then I might have to start looking into a different physics system all together. Maybe the Newton physics system that Walaber is working with, or MAYBE even write my own. That would be a large, difficult task, but could be very worthwhile

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2004 19:06
Wouldnt writing your own take too much time - plus all this work you'd done on Tokamak would effectively have been a waste of time?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 01:49
Well, I've done some more optimizing and it seems to be working a lot better. I've tested it on my pc (P4 1.5ghz w GeForce2) and it is running pretty well. I want to test it on a fast PC now and see if it is cleared up there. I've also been able to elimitate "most" of the jitters/shakes that happen.

Moonshine,
I am hoping to continue using Tokamak for the reasons that you mentioned. Even IF I started playing around with another system, I would continue to develop the Tokamak wrapper. The only way that I would start looking into something else is if I PROVED to myself that Tokamak will not work for what I want it to do. No matter the case, the work that I have done with Tokamak would be far from a waste. It is my first C++ project and I am learning a lot from it.
My own physics system WOULD take a long time to write, but I would have full control of it's "development" as compared to working with something from another source. Before I started work with Tokamak I had already started a "little" bit of my own thing and had a good bit of the collision stuff done already.
Anyway, from the looks of things right now, Tokamak IS going to work. I'll know for sure soon.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 21:23 Edited at: 26th Apr 2004 21:23
Thanks for the reply, Wolf.

Quote: "It is my first C++ project "

It's certainly a fantastic system and I hope to see further developments of it. Keep up the hard work

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 18:12
Thanks for the compliments...

A new version is ready. The main reason is to see if I eliminated the problems that some people were having with the guy just randomly floating/spinning around that seemed to happen on fast computers. I put a couple of different things in there to catch what I believe the problem was. If this demo does eliminate that problem, then I'll expand on what all I did to make it work. So, test this one out and see if it works.
Also added to this demo:
-The arrow keys now move the player relative to the camera's facing.
-BOMBS! That is right... You can now select a brick from the wall and send out an explosive force form it. You can also take control of them and move them around.
-A bunch more optization.

You can't reset the player yet. Maybe next version.
Please let me know how this one works for you all.

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 20:31
It still slips and shakes around the surface in my 3200 GHz/Radeon 9700 comp.

However Wolf you are the king of rag n' doll
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 20:36
This is pretty frustrating. grr....

Did it work any better than the last version?
What FPS are you getting?

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 20:57
hehe that bomb thing is fun...

Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 22:15
Maybe it acts slightly different, but always in the beginning it falls down from right side of stairs, not along stairs at all.

FPS is 240.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 23:02
That has to do with your sliding problem. Mine usually falls off of the right side of the stairs about half way down (I should add a handrail for the poor guy. lol).
I think I've nailed the problem. I did some research on the Tokamak forums and found people having similar problems when one of a couple different things happen. One thing that can cause it is too slow of an update. Another is more than a 20% difference in the advance call from iteration to iteration. Nothing has been said about too small of a time step but I think it is a combination of that and the variation problem. No one had any problems with the first demo that I released. In that version, the camera was fixed, and therefore there was little variation in the frame rate. There is a huge difference in frame rate if you look at the ground compared to looking straight up in the air. To fix the problem (temporarily) I capped the frame rate at 80fps and +or- 20% of the previous frame.
In the future, I might change the way the Advance funtion is called in Tokamak. Instead of telling it to advance so much each loop iteration, I'll have it advance a constant amount at a set time period from within the dll. I think that will solve everything, but won't be easy to do.
Anyway, try the new version and see if it is fixed for you.
Thanks,
Ron

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 00:52
Very Good! That last version fixed all the spinning around that was going on in the previous versions. You can also place bloke on top of blocks now without him jittering all over the place.

PS. You forgot to put on screen instructions that CTRL lets you cycle between blocks.

Boo!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 03:51
Doh! Oops! Thanks for telling me that Spooky.
I'm glad to hear that it is working smoothly for you.

Next thing for me to do is to get it working with some animations.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 10:30 Edited at: 28th Apr 2004 10:32
Wow, all problems have gone! Now its perfect. FPS dropped down to 76, but its still enough.

When can we make our own rag-dolls?
Apollo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2004 23:13
Wolf, this code is truly inspirational, Good work! Now some source code would be even cooler.

elliot
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 00:58
amazing, this is great work wolf no doubt, it would be good to see some source though, then we might see a few ragdol physics games in dbp coming out

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 04:04
OK, ok, ok....
lol
I have some prior comitments that I need to finish up. After that I'll get something together with the rag-dolls. I may re-write it for Newton instead of Tokamak. The Tokamak physics system isn't being updated nearly as much as Newton, so I think people would be much further ahead with it in that form.
I'll do what I can as soon as I can

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 05:35
very impressive, heaps of fun to throw that guy around and whack him into cubes with gravity off.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
that dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 18:57
sooooooo much fun. ya know, it used to be that when i was so angry i through them down a flight of stares or twist them into a pretzel, etc etc, i had to go find a hobo. now i can kill hobos on my computer instead! it's no where near as messy.

http://www.nuclearglory.com/?u=fearik = sweet as hell collision system. easy on that leather thing in your back pocket too.
the left side of my head isn't bigger, the right side is just smaller

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 12:24:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 12:24:06