Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Pool/Snooker Simulator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 20:55 Edited at: 29th Apr 2004 21:01
Hi There!

I have been playing aroung with the Tokamak plugin, (Thanks Wolf!) and have been using it to make a pool or snooker simulator.

It is playable in its current state but far from complete.

Things it will do now:

1) Rotate and zoom to get the best view
2) Target your shot with a line of small ghosted cue balls.
3) Get a 'Cue ball view' and line up your shot with a cross hair
4) Set Power of Shot
5) Make shot and pot balls (maybe!)

Things it wont do yet

1) Detect a foul shot
2) Detect a win/lose situation
3) AI

It is a work in progress and before you say it - I know the cushions dont look right and that they need to be tapered at the pockets. They are tapered as far as the physics engine is concerned and they bounce acordingly - I just haven't got round to displaying it properly yet.

There is one thing I could do with some help on though. It is only an 'eye candy' thing so it's not too important but I have been trying to get pin point light reflections on the surface of the balls but I cant get it at all.

I have tried spot lights, directional lights and point lights. I have used SET OBJECT LIGHT lightnum,1 and I have SET OBJECT SPECULAR POWER to several ranges between 0 and 100 but nothing seems to give me the desired result. Can anyone please help?

1001001 S.O.S.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks absolutely amazing! Is this DBPro?
Today I almost started making a snooker game myself. I took a look at some old code by CrappyCoder, but the balls took ages to slow down and stop. So I gave up with it. Keep up the work, and I hope you get round to Snooker soon.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2004 21:05 Edited at: 29th Apr 2004 21:07
Thanks Pincho.

Yes it is DBPro using the Tokamak wrapper.

I have only spent about ten hours on it so far and most(?) of that was drawing the pool table. I can't do any 3D modelling at all so I have drawn it entirely with code within DBP.

My shifts at work are pretty silly at the moment so I have a lot of time on my hands. I will keep you informed.

1001001 S.O.S.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 06:19
I'm sure if you asked nicely someonw here would whip up a nice pool table model for you!

it would be nice for the final version to have several different tables to choose from.

excellent start!! nice to see a project with Tokamak!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2004 23:12 Edited at: 30th Apr 2004 23:24
I started a pool game with Tokamak. Its ok though, because I wasnt going to finish it anyway (I never finish anything).

I might as well give you some eye-candy tips though!

To add shadows, make plains textured with a black circle, then position the on the table surface, where the balls are like this: Position Object Shadow, BallX*.1, TableSurface, BallZ*.1
*.1 makes it offset to look like its cast from a center light.

To make a center spot light, make a plain a little smaller than the table, on the surface, and texture with a black/yellow radial gradient. Very cool effect!

Also, I could send you some media if you want. I have a very good pool table w/legs that I made, if you want, and got Scott Joplin MIDI's for really good music.

I could post a screen shot if you want.

I hope you finish this! Good Luck No hard feelings! Im used to people doing projects I started already lol I hope i didnt discourage you!

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 13:45:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 13:45:24