Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Game in a week!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
In light of the person that says he's making a FPS in a week, I'm going to do something a bit simpler... I'm not that advanced, but I do know basically all I'll need to know to finish it in a week I think. It's going to be only 5 levels long with a fantasy premise. You have to save your wife from the evil king. You'll have to fight through 5 levels of the castle until you fight the boss and have to kill him and get the key to set free your wife.

I already started today, so I'll count this as my first day. I'll post updates and screenshots here as I progress.

So far:

The first level almost set up.
Movement implemented.
A chase camera implemented
An obstacle finished. If you touch it you lose health and will eventually die.

Working on right now:

A menu.
Walking animations for the character.
Finishing up the first level.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 06:15
hehe. maybe they should make a "game in a week" competition... that would be interesting, and serve those of us with short attention spans

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
I added in the menu, added in music for it, added in a box that will serve as the castle, and found a problem...

Thing is, I'm building all the levels manually right now. And while it is long and tedious it's the only way I can do it with the current collision system I'm using. Just using collision boxes. So, what I'm going to do is finish this game up by just using all the collision boxes, and most likely building it manually, and then in future games I'll do better.

This will be the first game I've ever completed and I WILL complete it. Tomorrow I'll have the first level done complete with enemies and the courtyard of the castle. I'm going to populate that with some graves most likely and also some trees.

You're probably only going to have one or two weapons. First being a sword that will swing from your body when you hit space. That will be easy to make it hurt enemies.

I'll just have it check for a collision between the two, if there is one then it decreases the hit objects life away. If that causes the hit objects life to be less than 1 then it will destroy the killed object and then replace it with a blood spatter on the ground.

Come to think of it, I may turn this into a survival game. Just have enemies randomly spawn in at various points and it will slowly get harder and harder. I can base the score on how long you survived + how many enemies you killed. Ahh yes, I think that is what I'll do.
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 09:33 Edited at: 5th May 2004 09:33
Screeeeens!!!

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 11:04 Edited at: 5th May 2004 11:05
Quote: "hehe. maybe they should make a "game in a week" competition... that would be interesting, and serve those of us with short attention spans "

That would be awsome... though it would have to be just a fun little compettion with a long advanced warning, seeing as when it starts there only a week and you dont want to join half way in.

ahhhh... I can see the chaos now... though be interesting what people could turn out....

LOL (fun food for though)

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 17:47 Edited at: 5th May 2004 17:48
a game in a week compo would be really fun!

Quote: "long advanced warning, "

unfortunately then they would have more then a week to prepare they're game (unless there is a theme for the compo you have to use...that would work )

to keep slightly on topic...good luck Izzy545 i hope you finish it! (i may do a game in a week game after the acoder compo... )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 18:06 Edited at: 5th May 2004 18:07
yep, i agree too, "a game in a week" competition would be really cool, with advanced warnings that is the theme of the competition won't be announced until the start of the week to stop people from cheating .

good luck Izzy!

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's some screenshots. Yes, I know it doesn't look great or anything, but remember, this is my first game.

This first one is when the "castle" was just a textured cube. And yes, you are still a sphere in the second one. I'm working on it!

This one is a bit more advanced. I added in towers on the castle and some extra lighting to make it look a bit nicer.

There ya go!
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I textured the sphere so that it looks like a round person sorta

I also added in a basic sword and it can swing, but I'm still working on making it look nice when it swings.

Mainly what I want to do is make it WORK first, and then make it look nice and spiffy in the last 2 or 3 days if at all possible.

What I'm gonna do right now:

Add in some sound effects for when you hit the trees, when you hit the castle, and when you swing in the air.

Make it so you can destroy the trees in three swings. Then maybe I'll add in some basic enemies.

Wheee, off I go!
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 20:06
Lookin good keep up the hard work!

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
I've run into a big problem...

I can't get the sword to rotate with the character. So I guess I'll just leave it staying pointed the same way until I figure that out. I would've thought it would've been simple. But it's not. So it might look a bit funky. In other news, I made some trees bigger than others, and you can kill the big trees. I just need to make them disappear when they're destroyed. Like I said, I'll make it look fancy when I'm done.

Soon will come enemies. I'll post some new screenies when I add them in and actually have something to fight with my non-turning sword
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a screenshot showing the sword, different sized trees, and also the enemy system I implemented. They are just the little spheres on the ground, but you can kill them and they now give you score!

I got a little gameplay going on now. I almost have the basic system done, and then I'll have the rest of the week to tweak it and make it look pretty. And fix all the bugs I have. Like the fact that when you swing your sword you loseup to 10 fps while it's swinging from the collision checks
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 21:31 Edited at: 5th May 2004 21:33
Try designing your sword so that the point of rotation for the player and the sword are the same. That way you can position both models at the same spot and use the same rotation values.

There are other ways of doing it, but that should be a quick and easy solution since you're on a deadline.
--
TAZ

On the collision checks, remember not to check anything that is too far aways. A simple distance check is faster than a polygonal collision check any day.

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
I would, but I'm using the one that comes with darkbasic. Any .x editors out there?

Because right now I had to rotate all angles 90 degrees in the beginning to get it to work, that's why I can't just rotate around the yangle like I do the player. If I could edit it I could have it working already.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2004 21:36
Use any of the freebie or cheap editors out there and make a sword with the correct orientation. DoGA L2 can propbably do it in a few minutes even without any previous experience.
--
TAZ

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Now I just have one question: How do I change the .LP2 file to a .X file?
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I got it working. I found a new sword model from 3dcafe and it was aligned right. It now turns with the player. Now all I have to do is get 3dstudio and make a swinging animation, since I can't do that manually anymore. Until then you'll just be able to thrust your sword, and that's it
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Thought I'd go ahead and post my new screeny because I like how it looks

Here I am killing a bad guy with a sword. Notice how I added in hands, and I glued the hand to the sword object so it looks like he's holding it. I know that the enemies leave much to be desired but I'm working on it. By tonight I should have them running around trying to run into you and hurt you.

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, I'm sure you guys are getting sick of my constant updates by now

Here's another screenshot:

I implemented a hud, you now can see your health there, and soon the score will be right above it. I'll end up shrinking them down, but this is just how they are for now. Enjoy!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 00:31
Suggestion: Maybe those hands shouldn't be quite so far away from the body...

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Code Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 01:08
Y'know, the character looks cool just as he is. Maybe add some feet and you'd have the perfect character. Looks good...

Dragael Software
Current Project: 2D RPG Editor (DragnEdit 2D)
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, I was thinking about adding feet, but the problem of the walking animation was giving me problems
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 01:47
hey its rayman's brother!

Amist the Blue Skies...
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 06:13
Just to get back to DoGA L2 for a sec. File > Export and then select either Direct3D or Direct3D (triangulation) for .X export.

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, thanks! I'll probably end up using that to make the enemies... How do I know which limbs are which? If I knew that I could use that to manually animate them for their attacks, right?
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I implemented the options screen, and I was going to start the enemy ai but decided to wait until tomorrow. I ran into another problem, if anyone knows what is going on and happens to read this, can you tell me?

What happens is that when I change resolution using this code:

set display mode 640, 480, 32

or so on and so forth the entire world goes pink and I lose all the textures! Anyone have any ideas?
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 07:41
when you change display modes, all data loaded into graphics memory is lost. this is textures, images, etc. you should delete all objects and images before calling the command, and then reload afterwards.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, then I'll just have to make a function that clears out all the textures, and then reloads them and retextures all the objects. Thanks!
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I'm late starting today! Better get to it then.

What I'm gonna put in right now:

Fix the option to change resolutions so that it actually works.

Going to at least get the enemies moving randomly and get them so that they can't walk through the castle.
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I have the enemies moving towards the player, and I even have it so that they can't walk through you anymore. I have it so you can basically not move through the trees too, but it doesn't work so great. If I ever get the money, I'll invest in NG dll, but until then I'll make do with what I have. One thing though, if anyone reads this and can help me to use this function, I'd be grateful:

Basically, I'm trying to get the distance between two objects using this function I found on the forums:

function distance(obj1,obj2)
dist=sqrt(((object position x(obj1)-object position x(obj2))*(object position x(obj1)-object position x(obj2)))+((object position z(obj1)-object position z(obj2))*(object position z(obj1)-object position z(obj2))))
endfunction dist#

I call it using: dist# = distance(1000, i)

but dist# ALWAYS = 0. Any reason why?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 23:41
Try this:

dist#=sqrt(((object position x(obj1)-object position x(obj2))*(object position x(obj1)-object position x(obj2)))+((object position z(obj1)-object position z(obj2))*(object position z(obj1)-object position z(obj2))))
endfunction dist#

You missed the # in the assignment

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 23:41 Edited at: 6th May 2004 23:42
dist#=sqrt(((object position x(obj1)-object position x(obj2))*(object position x(obj1)-object position x(obj2)))+((object position z(obj1)-object position z(obj2))*(object position z(obj1)-object position z(obj2))))
endfunction dist#

the dist in the function needs a # or else its a different variable from the one being returned by the function
#edit, heh nearly beat you ian

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys!
Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I got it working! It's not perfect yet, I'm still working on making it so they have to be really close to the tip of the sword, but I'm getting there! I can't even notice a drop in frame rates when I'm just checking the distance from the sword instead of checking if it hits them. It's much easier this way too

Lets see, next thing I want to add will probably be some texturing for the enemies, and then make them have a sword and slash at you in the same way that you can slash at them.
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 17:28
Just saw this post about a game in a week - oops I've started something

Looks like you're doing a good job though, keep it up and good luck

The forum user formerly known as...?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 07:53:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 07:53:21