Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Kreallian Empire Demo Released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 00:04
Hey Everybody,

Kreallian Empire Demo

The powers to be gave me permission to release this little demo last night. It's 119 megs uncompressed and 48 megs zipped. I have thrown it up ratherly quickly so no one could have a change of heart here and tell me to stop. The zip has been fully tested with XP and works 100 percent. It is in Dark Basic Classic.

What this demo has is full source code to everything on the demo and full graphics package, I had to strip out the dialog section, some of the animation stuff, some other secret stuff and so on. I made all the waypoints visible so you could follow what the characters are doing and threw in a quick instruction set in the beginning and a brief story description.

This is a brief preview of our living world we are creating including the way the portal to jumps to other worlds if you can figure out how to make it work (It works but is complicated).

The demo is in no way up to par on the full version, this is a teaser to get you guys and gals interested in helping us or me. My plan is to open a massive website with free downloads from us and you available to anyone free for the new game when it is released. Instructions on how to modify the game way beyond what it is designed for at the moment. NOW=What to look for in the demo - John a non-controllable character (ncc) is in a yellow coveralls he is an aircraft repair person. He is carring about 15% of his animation library. We have developed a way to mass produce this little guy and found all the software websites to let you make these little guys free, with no animation experience. They will change how you are doing animation.

For the moment make your comments to this post. I would really like your input on how to improve whats here in this demo. I might get to add more stuff if comments are constructive.

http://uksoft.planetdns.org/empire.zip

Beth=The ditsy blonde. I like men and programming, but mainly programmed men!
Neil19533
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 00:27
could you put some screenshots up plz?

Any spelling mistakes are totally In tensional.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 01:40
Yeah some screenshots.. of you

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
3beth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 07:43
Jimmy,

The real me or the character of me in the game?

Beth

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 08:03
@Jimmy: That's a nasty thing to say. Have you learnt nothing from the Girl Coders thread.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 08:19
Beth: Well of course the REAL you...

Manticore: No... I did not, I never learn. I like to scare women away, so BE IT.

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free subdomain hosting. Unlimited space/transfer. It's nice, I like it, you should too!
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 08:32 Edited at: 16th May 2004 08:33
Screenies of the game plz!
I'd like some info and screenies before I download 48MB!!!!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 08:40 Edited at: 16th May 2004 09:10
Yeah, I GUESS screenies of the GAME would be cool.. but to be honest, I find girls more attractive than games, WITH the exception of a few.

Well, I got to try it out and it was just freakishly slow. It seems like you've got a solid game, but I couldn't tell who I was talking to, based on the character's head texture Maybe if you made the actual model flash when you clicked on the image, that'd be cool. And the camera needs to be raised a bit, I'm talking to everyone's belly button

If the game performed faster, I'd actually take more time to play it, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I REALLY wanted to though :/

Ran it on:

AMD 2600+
512 MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

3beth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2004 23:14
Jimmy,

Thats interesting you are the second person that has said the camera angle is at the belly button. I have it set above the head and pointed down a little, this must be a glitch I need more data? What operating system are you running? And I will research something to identify the person that is talking, maybe a diamond or sphere that appears over there head when they are communicating.

Thanks for the help

Beth

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 01:36
Yeah, i'm on Windows XP. Some sort of indicator would be great. And you could also consider having either an actual 3d model of the character's head or just a picture of the rendered head, rather than the exploded head texture

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 02:25 Edited at: 17th May 2004 03:19
get a better host... i've been downloading it for 20mins now and i have broadband :/

EDIT: ok finally downloaded it (took 50mins ) and its pretty good havent played it much yet but might get a chance to tomorrow, i did notice it was very slow though

win2000, 1.8ghz AMD, 512MB RAM, GF4ti4600

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 03:51
tried it twice... crashed twice...

a couple of splash screens come up, it then moves on to a logo that changes colour, i then hear the thunder noise, see the lightning flash then bam! a picture of a matrix in wireframe mode and the lightning image on a black background. anyways, system specs:

Dell Inspiron Laptop 2650
P4 1.7ghz
256 MB Ram
GF2 16MB
Windows XP

using jpegs rather than bitmaps could reduce your program size tremendously, like to about 1/4 of it's current size and still keep the quality. i know dbc has a problem with loading objects that have jpeg images but what about loading the images seperately and using texture object or texture limb?

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 03:53
It didn't crash hex, you just have to wait for it

3beth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 04:18 Edited at: 17th May 2004 04:20
Jimmy,

Can you use jpg in Dark Basic Classic? I was told no and didn't even try. if so It could reduce file size a ton if I can.

Oh I also checked the server today, it has been averaging 30 users at any given time, most have been listening to music so thats why it may be slow.

Beth

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 04:49
Quote: "It didn't crash hex, you just have to wait for it"

4real? arghhh i gotta download it again

Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
you can indeed use jpegs in db, just use the jpg extension instead of jpeg, you can also use png's, which is what i recommend because there is less lossy and they are still very small.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net. we like orange treble clef notes, just for future reference.

no: website for progs yet.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 06:20
If you want my advice I'd say port it into DBPro. Ought to have a significant speed change, plus it's just all around cooler

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 20:28
DBP also allows you to take advantage of DBO formats and cut down on that wicked loading time.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 00:56:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 00:56:34