Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / 3D Reversi (DB Pro only)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 16:07
A long time ago in a place far, far, away there was a Bear. Somewhat unusually he could speak English but found programming difficult because keyboards are not designed for paws. He liked lunch hampers and disliked all the music of Wet Wet Wet. But we digress.

As I just mentioned in my post on the General forum (http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=32260&b=2) in April, before I came home, I saw a profusion of moaning posts along the lines "you can't write a game in DB Pro". What rubbish! I decided to prove this wrong and, as I'm quite, quite mad, I decided to go one better and see if you could write a complete game in DB Pro without using any external media at all. Yep, not so much as a pixel loaded in from an external file. Barking.

The result is 3D Reversi. This is a complete version of Reversi written entirely in DB Pro. You can find it in the attached source box. It boasts:

1. no external media at all (I'm making a virtue of this);
2. three different board colours, two of which are violently sickening to the eyes;
3. three game modes: human v human, human v computer (the human can chose which colour he plays) and computer v computer (the computer plays itself);
4. full set of rules displayed by the game itself;
5. detailed comments in the code explaining what the bejesus is going on.

In terms of development feedback, you'll see a couple of chunks of the attached are commented out. I tried to implement a "best move" feature whereby the computer would show the human what is theoretically the next best move to play. However, I ran into the weird bug with the clone object command that causes DB Pro programs to hang after the command is used too much. This is a reported [confirmed] bug in the bugs forum so not much I can do about that.

Also, I ran into the [confirmed] bug relating to the pitch camera / point camera commands, i.e. pitch camera "breaks" any point camera commands.

Its also interesting to see the speed slow down that occurs in the rendering of the board / pieces when the text command is used a lot. Take a close look at how much slower the board rotates when an "invalid move" warning appears on the screen.

Finally, whenever I post a program I always get at least one post from someone saying "it doesn't work". Let me just preempt that for once by saying I've tested and tested and tested the attached code and it does work. If anyone can't compile it, the problem is local to their machine.

Cheerio!

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 16:09 Edited at: 27th May 2004 16:13
By the way if someone could post a screenshot I'd be much obliged. I'd do it but I don't have any webspace.

Also, I've just had a quick glance in the source box above and I see some of the code's formatting has gone a bit weird. Sorry about that - it looked ok on my screen.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 17:53 Edited at: 27th May 2004 17:57
cool! though i couldn't figure out what in the world was happining

Your Screen

P.S. i cut of the edges of the screen becuase of the size...

[edit] BTW you can go to http://photobucket.com/ and upload pictures for free!

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:40 Edited at: 27th May 2004 18:41
Can u build an exe file for me to download it?, cuz I don't have DBPro

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:42
Bears...tsk! All they do is complain about humans complaining.

Nice work, I would be tempted to have it Stickied it in the Newcomers thread too.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 22:25 Edited at: 27th May 2004 22:26
Thanks for the screenie Magellan.

Comando, when I eventually get a website, I'll upload an exe. In the meantime you can either compile the code with the free trial version of DB Pro (assuming it is available - I forget if it was withdrawn after the Alienware compo) or, alternatively, one of the friendly forum people might want to put a copy of the compiled exe on their website for you to download. I'm very happy for people to spread the exe around - I wrote Reversi as a demonstration and happily waive all copyright in it.

BatV, good idea! I'll go and put a cross-reference in the Newcomers forum.

Philip

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 14:17 Edited at: 28th May 2004 14:18
For those that want a compiled version, you can download it here:

http://www.dbhut.com/zips/reversi.zip

It is in zip format 2.2mb

I like reversi games and this one is pretty goood except some of the AI is a bit naff. It is all too easy to get the corners which makes winning game so much easier.

Boo!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 23:53
Thanks Spooky.

Actually as you say the AI is fairly stupid. All it does is calculate what move would get the most opposition pieces reversed and then picks that move. So it works on a system of weighting. If there are a couple of moves all with the same weighting it randomly chooses one of them. So to write a more strategic version which always captures the corners (if available) but avoids the dangerous 3 squares around each corner is quite easy. You just artificially change the weighting the computer is allocating to those squares.

If there is any interest in this I'll write a further bit of code to give you an option to tell the computer to play "strategically" or "aggressively" (like it plays at the moment). This won't happen until the end of June though. I've got plenty on at the moment.

Philip

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 23:56
Is that "Othello"?

Amist the Blue Skies...
Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
This is Othell o by other name!!! Some werid rules for starting!!!
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 00:07
This is a cool version of the game. I never saw it like this before.

Anxiously awaiting BlueGUI v2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 19:05:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 19:05:41