Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / ChaseHQ NG *90 sec Playable engine*

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 14:37 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 14:38
Finally i managed to create decent 'demo' of my main engine of the Chase HQ game. Download it here: http://home.planet.nl/~denn1svk/ChaseHq_v01.zip I hope i'm going the right way. Show me some stats like fps and comments please. Controls are easy; cursor and enter keys. Numpad0 wil give you a speedboost. If you don't like the music then just remove them and put in you own mp3 files.

I'm having some troubles with the smokefx, you will see.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 15:53
very nice! i get around 45fps
pentium 4 1.6ghz
geforce 2 ti
256mb ram

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 15:59
Interesting. The front-end is very smart, the main engine needs some optimisation.

However, what about copyright on the music? AFAIK Death Angel are not a band who give their music away for free.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 16:26
Rob - I doubt Taito are ones to give the game name away for free either even so, I like things like this - so often a game will start out being a clone of a classic (with the same name) and then so much extra stuff gets added the title can be changed later. Nice screen shots, hopefully more to come?

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 16:35
Really gret start!! the interface is excellent, and the controls are excellent! I know the level is just a placeholder, so I won't comment on it.

with the wbarret26 car in there, and a cool level, this will be a sweet game!! very, very slick!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 19:28
Very nice Dennuz666 v2. Hope to see more development in this project, for it's coming along nicely.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Clownpaint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 19:37
When i opened it the music on the menu's was playing super fast and all squeeky :S the rest was fine though, bit hard to control properly but i liked it.

2.66ghz, 256mb ram, ATi radeon 9600xt 256mb graphics card, 120gb
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 07:58
Really cool, best car game i've seen in DB yet.. one problem is that the car pivots too much at high speeds. This is what I didn't like about that rally game that was made in DB, but got so much praise. The car rotates too much and realism is lost

----
This is my Kung Fu and it is strong.
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 10:41
Tnx for the comments. Development is slow. But i don't want to rush things and sometimes i don't feel like programming. I think i got the main engine going now and going to need some 'definite' graphics and stuff. I have a couple of things i have to work on like rearranging/rewriting some code wich i crammed in there. I am very happy with the car controls/handling so i will leave that. Maybe a little less pivotting but hey... it's aracade

About the name and the music. I'll take my chances. In the 'final release' there will be no copyrighted material, maybe only the name. Aren't Space Invaders or Asteroids or Pong a copyrigted name? Names i see a lot!

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 11:55
Nice. I get about 40+ fps, P4 1.5ghz, 384mb rdr, gf2mx400 32mb, xp pro. But my system is slowing down

The physics feel kinda simple (don't know how simple it could be to you though ), but it does the trick. Could use some enhancement on the gameplay, like having to cause "impact" to the other car in order to catch it (kinda like in Need for Speed games). Don't know what the rear view mirror is for though, since all the action is in front of you, lol.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 12:44
I get 43fps on the GeForce4MX - I did find the menu faded to black a bit too slowly.

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 18:39
I dont remember what I got, sorry! It was around 50-60 I think. I really like this start! How did you do the car rotation so it matches the mesh?? With Nuclear Glory?

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 19:33
This has a lot of good potential. The Menu fades too slowly, and the car moves WAY too slowly when on the grass, and the turning is perhaps slightly twitchy, BUT this is really coming on well, the presentation is great so far, and the car and track models look cool Well done!

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup, menu does fade too slowly. I got a runtime error at line 1400: could not load music. I don't know why that happened though -- it was after the music was supposed to start looping again I guess?

The textures need work though, I don't like the way they're all stretched out. Looks pretty unrealistic.

Physics are good though, and models aren't too bad either.

Good job so far.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree about the menu fade. I got the same runtime error at 1400 and a pretty constant 41 fps on AMD 2.1GH Geforce4MX

The opening screen (with flame effect) was excellent.

The handling was good, arcadey but the grass felt very slow.

I liked the way the enemy car reacts when you hit it - not so realistic but very in keeping with sprite based games of the time - sotof goes to a set angle - cool. The smoke looked good to me

Overall I was well impressed centainly has the makings of something special.

A few things tho - you're using NG but how is that working out for vehicle based collisions? 1 check for each wheel? Is there any performance hit and I say this because as a demo of the engine (minimal ai & scenery etc) this ran *alot* slower on my spec pc than I thought it would, given what I was seeing on screen.

Is there something else that is holding things up - the extra render of the rear view maybe?

As for the copyright - Are you planning to sell the finished product? If so then you need to be careful but I seem to remember you'll leave music out and provide facility to play your own mp3's? If so thats no problem, and the name - yeah like how many times to you see Pac this and pong that. Maybe just make it Chase HQZ (z for headquarterz) or Chase HQ3D or something?
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 09:51
Tnx for the good and nice comments! I updated some stuff, no new demo though

ANSWERS 2 QUESTIONS:
- I use NGC i only use it for the car collision. The car tilting is a function i created with the help of Phaelax his code. Checking the grass is a quick(?) intersect object. I use a lot of intersect object commands now, about 10 is that too much? Should i use NGC for that? I really have no clue what could slow my program down a lot. I use spheremapping. And the polycount is around 6000. Any hints or tips?
- The game will be free and there will be no mp3's added with copyrighted material. The name... i don't care a lot

CHANGED:
- Know i have serious speed problems, but i'm not that good programmer and i'm a poly abuser. I have a fast PC (3.2 Ghz Athlon64) so it's no problem to me (120 fps!). But i'm always optimising code and bring down polycounts. I not that good programmer so it takes some time and every variable i change, i check. So i played this 'game' like a thousand times.
- I got rid of the rear view mirror, i thought it was nice. But it's a speed eating thing that don't add anything to gameplay.
- Brought the car angle down for (Jimmy's ) realism, less rally. I can change the variables per car so i can make different driving styles.
- Smoke fx are fixed. Added fire if the enemy is almost 'dead'!
- Menu's are now all fast fades

SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but i'm not that good programmer "

Pffffffttttt!! What rot!

No, you are just fine and most importantly have the drive and determination to actually produce results

I am no longer associated with NG so I dunno if you should use their intersect or not. I'm sure the code for the collisions is very sweet now though and I wouldn't imagine the sphere-mapping would be such a big hit so that only leaves:

Quote: "The car tilting is a function i created with the help of Phaelax his code"

Might be worth looking at?

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was keep it up, man - alot of ppl asked questions about Victory Road but this is the most complete demo I've seen
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 11:08 Edited at: 26th Jun 2004 11:09
Change of plans again. I'm going to build my own cars for the game. Don't ask why, you may guess. Cost a lot of time following tutorials etc. But it pays off really well. A lot of texturing and tweaking has to be done on this one. But i like it already. Comments are welcome.

I used the Lexus as a study object but i think i will use it in my game.

O! And i almost doubled the fps on my code. Tweaking tweaking

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 15:37
absolutely beautiful start on that model!!

glad to see you're still working on this one!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:31
Finished 2 cars including the Porsche 928 from the original game The Lexus took me a couple of days, while i did the 928 in a couple of hours. That's progress.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2004 18:33
smooooth

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 21:43
This is a great project and I'd like to see it done

Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service