Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / space trading game (darksky - temp dev name) early days

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 17:51
Ive put DT aside for a while and have been working on a space trading game. Its very early days so far but you can see some progress with these shots, 2 are superimposed on the larger one.

Its really early days so far but im happy with what i have at the moment. Goin to think of a decent name later as well because the working dev name isnt as good as I could think up of at the moment.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 02:41
Hey looks good Indi. Space games are some of my favorite to play, so tohis should be interesting.

If youve ever played FreeLancer, you should take a look at the demo. It has some interesting elements that you might be able to adapt to your game.

For instance...

-You can travel inside planets. Each planet has essentially the same options(shop,repair ship,go to cafe,etc.), but different characters/design/items/etc to keep them fresh.
(Can't tell much from your screenshot, but it seems you already have something similiar implemtned)

-Jump gates are a must.(Especially in huge worlds)

(Might be worth a look)
http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/default.asp

I'll look forward to seeing progress soon.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 04:03
Im looking most forward to playing this. It should be great fun to say the least!.

Visit the Db chat room, ask me for details!.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 23:56
i own freelancer and it was fun for awhile after you finish the story line...but after ahwile it got boring... (as in after i discovered the pirates planet and bought the best possible ship in the entire game...and the class 10 weapons that i got from wrecks...)

anyway...nice to see another space game being made

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2004 03:26
Fascinating. Knowing a bit about your design principles with DT, I'm sure this has already gone far to be so graphical already.

Just to clarify, is this a 'space trading game' along the lines of Stars! and Galactic Empires, or along the lines of Elite and Freelancer? Most of the people above in the thread seem to think the later, but the screenshot just implied the former for me.

Cheers.

The new developer network updates and beta downloads kick ass.
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2004 07:16
Looking nice, mate. I like the planets and overall design.

The one thing I'm not sure about is that - pointer? spaceship? butterfly? thing above the central planet. What is that?

Anyway, good luck. I would like to see a really good strategy game made in DBPro.

Have you lost enthuisiasm for DT, though? I was really looking forward to that one.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2004 11:42
thanks guys, I had to redo the large background plain as it was detrimental to the fps. now for some reason a lot of smaller plains runs a lot faster.

the butterfly thing in the middle is a temp ship, once i have a good working engine I will feel more inclined to make better media.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2004 15:41
Looking good indi. Hope you get it finished soon, games like these are addicting (though...I only played one of them, but it was pretty fun).

A few questions though:

1) Are crystals the only thing you can trade? You should expand the list, put different goods on different planets, each planet needing a different demand for different items, etc.

2) Are you going to include items for trade that are "illegal" in the game that you can trade with shady merchants, pirates, etc. Maybe some kind of illegal metals, or gasses. Or maybe certain items in our present can be illegal in the future. Like some people have found ways to turn coal into some form of high density explosive that is highly poisonous or something (I know its far fetched, but hey, games dont have to be realistic all of the time). Heck, maybe the governments of certain planets will pay higher for these sort of things

3) Is combat going to real time, or maybe turn based (like the one I played, was a bit slow though). Or maybe no combat at all? Maybe you just avoid other ships or maybe comets or asteroids while traveling in space? Or both

Well, anyway, looking good, and I can't wait to play it.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2004 15:51
1) Are crystals the only thing you can trade?

there will be about 10 things to trade, crystal is just the precursor to get things started.

2) Are you going to include items for trade that are "illegal" in the game that you can trade with shady merchants, pirates, etc.

interesting idea i will ponder slim shady materials

3) Is combat going to real time, or maybe turn based (like the one I played, was a bit slow though).

real time combat, you can shoot one type of bullet/missile so far.

Orgull V2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 11:55
Nice job indi.

Good to see you're still hard at work here. How've you been? I've been away for a very long time, dunno if you'll even remember me.
stealth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 16:06
Heh , good to see Indi still codes heh , I was wonderin what happened to DT , I remember the models for that were hot , looks good
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 02:36
FYI, Eric Henry is the author of several sci-fi space games: Dark Skies and Dark Suns which are both part of his Dark Matters Universe.

Just thought you might want to know.
--
TAZ

The "it" is a kind of force that gives rise to technology, something undefined, but inhuman, mechanical, lifeless, a blind monster, a death force.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 11:48:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 11:48:47