Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / for any halo fans..my game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 04:47 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 04:48
I just finished up my first game ever...other than a pong game i had to make for a class..its a 2d version of halo. I did not make it in dark basic though, i know this place is all about that but i can not find any gammer forums for Java, and i havn't tried learning DB yet, I'm just starting to teach myself some C++ then ill prolly look into DB...but heres a link to some screens of the game, and if anyone knows where I can upload an 8mb download for free let me know..
http://www.2dHalo.cjb.net
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 06:58
looks great, but I think you might want to replace the yellow blocks with something more haloish.

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 08:14 Edited at: 6th Jul 2004 08:15
Looks very nice, apart from the blocks and ground. They need to look more organic, maybe just tone down the vivid colour on the texture. Check out gamedev.net for some forums that are for anything, and also LLRGT is made for stuff in any language .

http://gamedev.net/community/forums

http://www.dannywartnaby.co.uk/rgt/index.php

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
Java Programmer19
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the advice! I'll work on the blocks and stuff and see what i can do.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2004 11:37
Java Programmer 19,

No. Your ready for DB now. If you now java then you will crank through DB, (it also won't be too far of a stretch to work wit C++ at the same time). I guarantee that once you read a couple of tuts on db like Binary Moons, you will be able to port the code over in 1/4 the time it took you to write it in JAVA.

Port to DB! port to DB!

Well whatver you decide good luck. Looks good.

~Zen

LordSorcre
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmmmm I started a project like that a little while ago but never got sidetracked by my hosting business. If you want Halo2D.net i can get it to you for 10 dollars.
eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 01:07
I can hear law suits ...

Checkpoint Router: my very own AI routing program: http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/eatmuchpie
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
My web server is not up yet, But it shall be up with in a week or so, then you can upload it there.
speak to me over aim- epo35 This game looks interesting and i want to play it. : ).

LordSorcre
Years of Service
User Offline
Java Programmer19 contact me. Although i have a size limit of 5 mb i will raise it for you. Aim me at sorcre or MSN sorcre@hotmail.com
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 04:30
Quote: "I can hear law suits ..."

Lol, like the makers of Halo are going to waste their time sueing a small 2D fan based game .

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 04:57 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 04:58
Quote: "Lol, like the makers of Halo are going to waste their time sueing a small 2D fan based game .
"

I dunno Hamish... look what happened with Codename Gordon The maker of that game must be regreting the day he ever thought of starting that project.

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 05:10
What? I googled Codename Gordon and all that came up with was a load of good reviews and interviews of the game. Infact I found an interview where they said the makers didn't have a problem. I can't find anything suggesting they got sued :S.

Quote: "Doupe: And the final question - what´s your opinion about Half-Life 2? Have there been any trouble with Valve Software and their attitude towards your project?

X-Tender: We allready talked with Gabe Newell and Erik Johnson, they get a demo and Gabe send it out around in the company, and they like it. =o). So we don´t have to worry that they sue us. "

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 10:45

Silly Hamish

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Java Programmer19
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 17:40 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 17:43
haha yeah i hope i dont get into a law suit for making this game...that might suck..

thanks for those who offered to let me upload this game on to their space also, but I was just on another forum and another guy let me load it on to his ftp earlier today..

heres the link for all those who wanna try this game out:

http://65.78.106.191:88/halo2d.zip

about porting to DB.. I'll look into it, I am fairly new to JAVA, I have only taken one basic course and pretty much everything i did in that game i just made i had to learn myself this summer since i don't have a job yet.. but i guess since i am taking a C++ course next year in college I could learn DB now and just worry about C++ while i have a class for it..can you recomend any good books about DB programming? theres prolly some on this site id imagine so after i post this ill go check it out, but any info you could give me i can't find here would be great..

::EDIT:: LordSorcre I dont think I'll need a nice site for this game, its pretty basic and I don't think it'll get anywhere but thanks anyways for the offer!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 18:02
Great Jimmy, stop talking crap, how am I to know whether you're joking or not if I've never even heard of the damn game. Stop making me look like a fool, stop laughing at me! *hides in corner while being prodded with sticks*.

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
i played the game and it was pretty neat.
You won't need any books for Dark baisc. Only the help file it comes with and the examples.

Java Programmer19
Years of Service
User Offline
cool, I'll have to look into it.. I really want to learn some 3D game programming and I have a book for it in JAVA, however its just alittle over my head right now, so maybe I'll try it in DB and see if i can get alittle farther with that..
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 22:50
Quote: "You won't need any books for Dark baisc. Only the help file it comes with and the examples"

the Binary Moon tutorial is still helpfull...(speeds up the learning process)

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 00:58
I've downloaded the file and extracted it, but where's the java application?

It may be that I need to download a java player (if ever such a thing existed). If so, could anyone give a url?

Cheers! (and by the way, the lack of intelligence that I'm currently exhibiting is merely a fabrication to stop Hamish from being prodded some more)

Checkpoint Router: my very own AI routing program: http://eatmuchpie.dbspot.com
Ocean Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 03:19
Quote: "
Lol, like the makers of Halo are going to waste their time sueing a small 2D fan based game"

Look what happened with MikeRoweSoft...

"Computers in the future may weigh no more then
1.5 tons. - Popular Mechanics, 1949
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 04:35
WTF? Codename Gordon? Law Suit? Huh? Dude, Codename Gordon you can download for free with STEAM, STEAM = the offical game platform launcher for Half-Life, it loads Counter-Strike/CZ, HL, DoD, TFC, ect and provides updates.

If Valve or whoever runs HL/CS would host Codename Gordon on their servers and help distrubute it, Im sure they dont have a problem with it.

"Think what you like, You'll all be mine in the end."

[href]www.DotBinary.dbspot.com[/href]
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 12:45
Lol, Jimmy was just being silly. Silly Jimmy.

Btw, your link doesn't work, you might want to check that.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 15:27
I tried downloading other java apps like Art of Illusion from SourceForge, but the process for helping you download java from Sun systems (I think that's what it's called) was practically useless. What java utility(?terminology?) do you use Java Programmer19?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
The JAR file is the java excutable if any one wants to know.

Xena was hot. Only if she was still on tv.
Java Programmer19
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, alright yeah the guy hosting my game changed the address so here's the new link:

http://65.78.106.191:88/programs/halo2d.zip

Also to play the file you need to have at least a Java 1.4 runtime environment, which can be downloaded at Sun.com, you need the Java 1.4 JRE to play the game...and the executable file is the Halo2D.jar file...hope that helps..

Controls are:
left arrow- left
right arrow-right
up arrow - jump
space - shoot
shift- reload
control-switch to the impossible legendary mode...1 hit death

the version for download now is alittle different than the first version, AI is alittle smarter, has new difficulty modes, and I changed something else i think but i forgot...
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 06:03
looks very nice. You might want to make the crates a different color from the background so they stand out a little better. Right now it isn't immediatly obvious that they are in the foreground Maybe orange?

Buy it
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 12:29
Uh...yeah. Like mentioned above, it's just a mod. Whenever I load up steam I see it right there on the list next to TFC, DoD, and CS.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 14:16
Quote: "You're kidding right? VALVe had NO problem. In fact they gave him some background information about Half Life 2 for use in the project when he was starting out."

You're kidding right? Did you seriously post that after reading through all of the above posts? In particular, the posts that stated Jimmy was JOKING.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 11:59
good lord man !! u just made a crappy version of halo

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 03:28
Alpha Zero - I'd like to see some screenshots of your 2D side scrolling shooter please.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 04:21
http://www.the-junkyard.net/files-halo.php?action=download&id=15

go there and u can get the halo theme music

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 23:34:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 23:34:41