Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Scott the Malformed Coshy's Big Adventure [Battle Engine]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 15:08 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 12:52
Hey everyone.
I've been working on a battle engine (JUST A BATTLE ENGINE) for STMCBA. So far I have one screenshot, I'll get more as the project progresses.

(About the 25 FPS: I had four instances of IE, Adobe Elements, and DarkEdit running in the background it normally runs quite fluently.)

UPDATES:
07.19.2004 :: 10:31 PM
Been a little while since I've updated. (Well, a day...that's a while to me.) Thanks to the awesome suggestions from Anime BLOOD, a lot has been changed. I *promise* to have a demo out by the friday after next, July 30th. ( It will most likely earlier, but I want some leeway so in case theres an error, no one will be disappointed. Look below for some info about the demo.

Things to come in demo version one (July 30th):
Arena-style, flat matrix
Two HUDs: Health, Stamina (each 20 bars)
One "enemy": a stationary box in the middle of the map (demo v1 will be focused mainly on getting Scott's attacks to work.)
Four attacks: Punch (takes no stamina, weak) ; Headbutt (VERY little damage, can be done continuously, drains stamina at a medium pace) ; Seismic Shower (splash damage, multi-target, flashy attack, drains all stamina) ; Slingshot (long range, medium damgage atack...doesnt drain stamina, depletes rocks)
Two means of defence: Forcefield (blocks 85% of all incoming attacks, lasts as long as you are holding the button, but as long as the forcefield is on, your stamina stays at zero,) ; Evasion tricks (jumping, strafing, sidejumping, backflips, counter attacks/parrying [*])

*=possibility

(Once demo v1 is releasd, I'll decide whats to be done with v2...so no information will be posted on v2 until we release and get feedback on v1. It will most likely be focused on AI development, and v3 will be camera, optimization, and touchups.)

Final version of Battle Engine:
Scott is equipped with four tricks: punch, headbutt, seismic shower, and slingshot.
A HUD featuring stamina and health (20 bars each.)
Simple AI with pathfinding and randomized attacking
Battle animations, particle effects, and sounds
Randomized AI Behavoir -- never fight the same creature twice, each monster has its own ways of fighting (well...to a certain degree )
Camera modes [Free, Third Person, Lock-on target]
Multiple defences -- block monster's blows by summoning a temporary forcefield, or evade the attacks altogether by jumping, strafing, etc

APPLY TO WORK ON THIS PROJECT:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=35197&b=9
To read the story taster. (The thread includes a storyline taster and some other good stuff, so even if you aren't interested in working on the team, check it out. Donations are also welcome [models.])

Check back for updates!

Concept Software
STMCBA Battle Engine
Team positions open!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
This game looks to have great potetntial.

Got anime?
I do.
C l a r k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 01:20
Thanks! Anything you'd like to see in the demo other than the features listed above?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Allow Scott to punch with his two red fist things... whatever they are.

Got anime?
I do.
C l a r k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:25
Will do.

Anything regarding controls?

Concept Software
STMCBA Battle Engine
Team positions open!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't help you there. Maybe the two mouse buttons left punches the left fist, right punches the right fist, move the camera by moving the mouse and move with the arrows or wasd, and jump by using spacebar ,ctrl for the headbutt, and shift for that special attack. Hope you like it, cuz I'm much better at mapping controls on a console...

Got anime?
I do.
C l a r k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 12:26
hmmm...I like that idea. I tried placing my fingers over the keys that way, and its quite comfortable.

I also like the idea of an arrow system, but it has to be more cartoonised....slingshot?

I'm about to update the post, so read it after you read this post.

I think that in the first beta version, instead of any AI, there wil just be a box in the middle of the world that you attack, and it will count the damage dealt to it.

Thanks for all your feedback, it helps a lot. Try to get others to come here, too...the more feedback the better.

Concept Software
STMCBA Battle Engine
Team positions open!
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
By arrows I meant the arrow keys, but a slingshot is a good idea.
And the box thing sounds good to see how damage is dealt.

Got anime?I do.

C l a r k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 01:46
Ah-ha. I like WASD for movement...its comfortable.

Nuclear Glory & Concept Software
STMCBA Battle Engine
Team positions open!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 12:32:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 12:32:32