Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Thunder Death Warrior-(Demo/Test)-Acoder Compo Entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 05:50 Edited at: 21st Jul 2004 03:14
This is my Acoders Competition Entry...

i can't really tell you about the story...or give you any screenshots becuase it would ruin the suprise ...so you'll just have to trust me...

there are only the first 3 levels in this demo(i have made 7 out of 15)

For those of you that Download it Please give me comments and feedback becuase i need to know what's wrong soon so i can fix it...

7.2MBs (RAR file...sorry for you zip users )
http://www.wakehosting.com/upload/files/BYGtwBMS/ThunderDeathWarrior.rar

Comments and Critique STRONGLY encouraged...

P.S. if you REALLY need a screenie then here's a in-game one...
http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v123/DarkWing_Duck/In-Game.jpg

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:39
Dear God! This is the greatest game in the world! Especially with such a great storyline and addictive and action packed gameplay. The aptly named Thunder Death Warrior is surely a winner!!!

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:51
LOL!

anyway the levels past 3 are better...

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 07:09
Thunder Death Warrior + Cat as Main Character = 100% logical

Amist the Blue Skies...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 07:11 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 07:11
sshhhhh! your not supposed to tell anyone!

BTW thanks to Skwrile for letting me use his cat model...

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 07:21
1)You need to improve the controls; they are very "clunky". Responsive controls is very important in this type of platform game.

2) You might want to place bridge buttons in places that player will notice right away (ie, walls near the actual bridges)

Amist the Blue Skies...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 07:36 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 09:58
exactly how could the controls be better?

i need to know soon becuase i only have till the 28th until i have to submit(i leave for a week on the 30th)

maybe tomorrow i'll upload a demo that takes a IQ of >1 to complete ...and then i'll get real answers...

(i only showed you the just first 3 levels becuase there's one tiny detail i need to wrap up before the other ones are ready...)

[edit] by clucky controls did you mean the time period in-between when you go forward and when it allows you to go again? i could make it smaller...but it needs to be there other wise you get a kitty that looks like it is hovering/flying when you hold down the upkey...

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 22:44
You obviously have as much modelling talent as me, being that everything is a cube!

1. You have spelt 'because' wrong in main text
2. Overuse of capital letters in your text
3. Presume you are using demo version of nuclearglory as everything stops after couple of minutes. All you can do is rotate! Can't even play game again because it gets stuck in 'loading.' loop.
4. Keep getting stuck on bridges, presumably because they dont rise high enough, although NG should cope with that.
5. Shading on cat is awful, why isn't is as good as in original kitty game. Looks like you have normalised it or something. Also need to smooth it.
6. Normal forward jump is FAR too long in my opinion, can get from one side of room to other in only 3 and a bit jumps.
7. Score by judges for 'time' element of game will be big fat zero I'm afraid.

That's my comments!

(please don't hit me)

Oh, I'm a ghost, so you can't

Boo!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 22:56 Edited at: 20th Jul 2004 23:08
Thanks for actually responding!
Do you think this game would be better with everything fixed(besides the stupid collision) and more interesting levels? becuase i've already made the better levels just not uploaded yet...i'll do that after lunch...

1 and 2 i whipped up the text in 3 mins and i will fix it...

3 AAARRRGGGG!!! i have the full version and my code for it and everything but for some stupid reason it doesn't except my code and thinks i have the demo version...so unless you have a code that works please don't talk to me about that ....oh ya use ALT+F4 to exit out if it does that...

4 i thought i had set it up so their "collision box" was the right size but i'll go fix that...

5 i just loaded it...i'll try and smooth it or something...

6 i'm going to redo the movement system...

7 it'll be more then zero i'm just not expecting a 1000

(you have to understand i started this game 6 weeks ago...and i had vacation mixed in alot with that...)

BTW i can model now...just when i started the game i didn't have milkshape and now it's to late to make a "real" model(also i make the levels in DBPro)

[edit] just so you know this is my first game...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 03:13 Edited at: 21st Jul 2004 03:13
Okay i have a new version now...

what i changed-
Much better shading on kitty
tweaked controls...
fixed some text errors
added 5 levels..(you can now play up to level 8)

here's a screenie of level 8...

and here's on that gives you a better view of the nicely shaded cat(you have to click...)
http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v123/DarkWing_Duck/screen2.jpg

and here's the new download...(also edited one above)
http://www.wakehosting.com/upload/files/BYGtwBMS/ThunderDeathWarrior.rar

please tell me ow you like the new controls(or how they should be different...)

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 04:13
Umm. I can´t see the sceenies

Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 05:05
did you click on the links for teh other screenies?
BTW the download is only 7.26 MBs

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 19:56
Ummm. All the screenies work now. Thunder Death Warrior is the most apropriate title I´ve ever seen! 7.26 ? Ok. I´ll give it whirl and tell you what I think.

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Loading takes ages and ages!

Who dares; wins.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 05:06
if the part where the "loading..." text comes up takes any longer then several seconds then something is very wrong(it's not really loading just covering up a mess...)

but if it takes a long time to load while the screen is black then get a new computer! becuase on my laptop(which really stinks) it takes 5 seconds....

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 05:09 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 05:11
Right. Here are my thoughts after playing it. Personaly I didn´t like the way the cat moved. I found the movement very stutered and the cat dude tended to slide around alot causing my to fall off the edge. It wasn´t my fault!!!!Realy!!! And one question. Why would a cat collect cheese? Should I have read the story line? Umm. That´s 2 questions.
Bugs: On the 3rd level I ran off the last block to collect the last cheese thingy and instead of dropping onto the platform to collect the cheese I died. I repeated th level and when I collected half of the cheese it loaded the next level. When that level loaded the camera was stuck outside most of the level, I couldn´t move and the skip level thing didn´t work.
I realy love that title though.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 05:31 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 05:46
Quote: "Bugs: On the 3rd level I ran off the last block to collect the last cheese thingy and instead of dropping onto the platform to collect the cheese I died. I repeated th level and when I collected half of the cheese it loaded the next level. When that level loaded the camera was stuck outside most of the level, I couldn´t move and the skip level thing didn´t work."

this has been posted before and here was my response...
Quote: "AAARRRGGGG!!! i have the full version and my code for it and everything but for some stupid reason it doesn't except my code and thinks i have the demo version...so unless you have a code that works please don't talk to me about that ....oh ya use ALT+F4 to exit out if it does that..."

read it and cry...

anyway as you can see my collision isn't working right becuase somehow Nuclear Glory thinks i have the demo when i really have the full version......

Quote: "Why would a cat collect cheese?"

read the story line and understand the cheese

how do you think i should do the controls?
unfortunately i can't make anymore animations(milkshape won't load .x....but it exports it fine )

please respond soon becuase this is the thing i need the most input on...

BTW the title "Thunder Death Warrior" is sort of a inside joke...i didn't just randomly make it up...

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 06:36 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 06:37
Well I say you keep it the way it is. The thing about your game is...it's unique. Who would call a cuddly cat "Thunder Death Warrior"? And what kind of insane cat would go round collecting cheese? You DEFINATELY get points for originality. Mine might, since you can climb trees AND it's got FREEZE TIME. One thing though...I've seen that model of a cat before but I can't remember the name of it...

Who dares; wins.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 06:54
Quote: "my collision isn't working right becuase somehow Nuclear Glory thinks i have the demo when i really have the full version......"

Ahh. I forgot about that.
Quote: "read the story line and understand the cheese"

I knew I should have read that thing but it looked sooo long....it must have been 5 lines long aleast.
Hope you get that NG collsion sorted out (so I can get some serious gaming done)

Jam on mother f**ker.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 07:21
Thanks!
Quote: "I've seen that model of a cat before but I can't remember the name of it...
"

you saw it in "Miss Kitty Fantistico"
i asked the creator of the game if i could use it and he said yes...
(because i didn't have time to make my own model...)

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 10:48
Hey, if you want I can email you a NG code. It works fine for Kalepian Invasion. You say you have the full version, and you're on my team anyway, so I don't see it as being a problem.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 11:56 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 11:56
Thanks! send it to ...Magellan_Studios@juno.com...
at least my game won't quit 5 mins into it...that would stink

Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:51 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 11:55
Magellan Studios I would like to try this out, but I only use zip. Could you send a zip version to cat_man3000@yahoo.com?

Dont worry and keep a cool head.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 23:51
my e-mail can't send files that big...and i can't upload a zip version(too big) so goto this website...http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm...and download the winrar program...it's a small download...

Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 04:54
Its not my computer its my brothers and he dosn't want to get winrar. Could you send it in parts since once I sent you a sound effect makeing program in parts because you couldn't download it from the website because the page didn't work?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 13:56
Concept: 10/10
Story: 10/10
Graphics: Cubes....innovative, 10/10
Gameplay Ideas: 10/10
Gameplay Controls:.............
The cat definitely has problems moving.

Some things that might make it look nicer:
Change the interpolation value so the cat does its little leg moving thing really fast, almost like a walk cycle. Then, if the cat has the jumping forward motion built into the animation, then edit it out of there, it's only good for Miss Kitty Fantastico. Make the cat move forward in regular increments, then you can control the shift+forward feature easier.

Also, it kind of slowed down when the levels got more complex, have you looked into forced timing?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Spaceman Spiff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 15:07
Umm ok here are my comments,

No offense but umm where did you get the title, from what I've read it seems that this game has somthing to do with cats and cheese?
I'm asking becase Ican't understand what in the name of cheese collecting cats(is he gathering it to help him catch mice or something?) does Thunder Death Warrior mean?

PLZ note that I haven't played it do to the fact that I am downloading the rar thingy. so if this is all totally off and there is a good reason for such a title go ahead and roast my butt for being a jerk.

Takes 1 2 no 1
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 23:36
@donut Productions-the only animation i have is the jumping animation...but it doesn't have built in moving..

are you saying that i should speed up the animation alot then just make it so the the cat only moves when you are holding down the forwardkey? i've thought of doing that but i'm not sure if it will work out right..

@darth vader-hehe..ok so the name is slightly random...because it's sort of a inside joke but i think that it's funny without the inside jokeness becuase of the contrast of calling a cute kitty "thunder death warrior"... and to understand the cheese yes you have to play the game(and don't skip reading the storyline...it's only a paragraph...)

Updates-
fixed jiggy bridge problem(you would get stuck on the bridge at low speeds)
added levels 9-11(today and tomorrow i'll do 13-15)

I'll change the controls and upload a new version later today hopefully...

Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 04:29
Magellan Studios could you answer my question?

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 05:29
Update
changed controls...
added level 12
okay guys i have until thursday at the latest(most likely really wensday\tomorrow)
i've changed the controls completely and i'm wondering if...
A)you like it much better...
B)you like it better but there is something about it that you want me to change(please specify)
C) you liked the hopping better...
D)you liked the hopping better besides something about it that you want me to change(please specify)

(note: levels 9-12 don't have explanations...yet)
5.54 MBs(used better quality compression but it's still rar)
link-
http://wakehosting.com/upload/files/qgFWwRrp/ThunderDeathWarrior.rar

@kequor-i'll send it to you after i've submitted the game right now i don't have time...(starting to feel the pressure...)

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 07:53
Hmmmm, not sure about the hopping but at least it feels better moving around rather than the huge jumps it used to do.

Don't get stuck on bridges anymore. Yay!

NG collision still times out after few minutes. Suggest you ask Nuclearglory why it's doing that as that could be your biggest downfall.

Had a nosy look at your media. save1.bmp you have spelt bubbles wrong (you have put bubles)

Good luck in the compo!

Boo!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 08:04
@Kequor - Have created a zip version of game you can download (hope you don't mind Magellan Studios!)

Being a zip file it's a bit bigger at 7.26MB

http://www.dbhut.com/zips/ThunderDeathWarrior.zip

Boo!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 09:33
what!?! you copied my game! didn't you see the "Copyright 2004 peter hellmuth"!!!!!

i'll try contacting Ng...

Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 13:17
spooky thanks.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 18:37
Don't worry Peter, I'll delete it later today. So Kequor better download it quick!

Sorry, I was just trying to be helpful by getting Kequor to download it and test game for you.

Boo!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:07
i hope you know i was joking

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:08
@BearCrazy Donut Productions-Do you have any suggestions on how to make the rate at wich things move time based instead of "sync" based? i tried it on my own but it seems that the "Screen Fps()" command is unreliable...

Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 13:25
Okay I played the game last night. Your diong a great job. Here are my suggestions. Make the training and the fist set of levels different, so you don't free bubble right after the training. Another thing is you should make it impossible to skip levels except trainng levels. Also the loading messed up. And last night on the second medevil level I jumped n a elevator and everything but the kitty froze. It looked like he was stuck halway in the wall (I was jumping toward the wall so that could explain it). Other than that I'd say its a very good game. But that could just because I love cats so much, and even have one of my own. So you will have to use your own jugement on that. But I am sure that this will win a prize.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 17:03
Okay, I'm not a master at it, I just experimented with it. From what I understand if you have your game running half as fast as it should you need to make everything move twice as fast to compensate. An idea would be to put all your movement routines in functions and whenever you want to move something you pass a multiplier variable based upon the screen FPS. In the source box is an article somebody brought up not too long ago that somebody wrote a long time ago that goes into more detail.

Btw, the new kitty movement rocks, perfect.

Sony stole our name!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 01:31 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 01:37
@kequor-Thanks!...i think your problem is related to the NG mess up which i've fixed...also there are no official training levels though i guess you could call the first three that...
either way i don't have time to make 3 more levels(my level designer would have to "design" them then i'd have to make 'em...)

@Donut Productions-
i figured out the equations i even tried doing it using the "screen fps" as a guide but it looks like the Command updates very slowly(I.E. every 3 seconds...) so for the first three seconds of the level it thought the FPS was 17 so every thing went really fast...

so if i can get a reliable way to get the Frames Per Second BEFORE the end of today...then i can do it...
oh, ya...you suggested the new movement so Thanks!

Update-
finished all levels(you can play up to 15)
got Nuclear Glory Working...Yes!!!
did about 80 small things to fix it up here and there...

no download yet

Quote: "But I am sure that this will win a prize."

like, worst?....
i'd be extremely suprised if i got in the top 10

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 06:09 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 06:10
Bump(sort of)

just so you know i have approximatly 5 hours from this post untill i have to submit my game, so any ideas (I.E. reliable Screen FPS... ) better come soon...

[edit] whoohoo! first multi page thread

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 08:06 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 08:07
Semi-Final Release!

updates-
rate things move based on time instead of frame rate!
lot's of minor things and a few bugs...

download!
(Approx-5.48MBs .rar)
http://wakehosting.com/upload/files/aANRPMVd/ThunderDeathWarrior.rar

BTW i used the "Timer" command, to get a reliable time based system going(as i said before... screen fps didn't work)

okay guys, unless you see something here that you think should be changed this is the version i will submit...so please respond soon to stop me from anything dumb!(i have 3 hours left!)

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 10:47
wait! don't download that last one..i didn't test it until now and it was messed up...(I.E. it started at level 7... )

here's the fixed version-
5.33MBs-.rar
http://wakehosting.com/upload/files/uaDrKLKp/ThunderDeathWarrior.rar

sorry for the mix up...

BTW i have about 2 hours left(i have more time then i thought...)
and i can't constantly check so the sooner you post the better...

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 19:23
Wow! Fantastic job on the speed compensation!
Whenever I'd play level 3 and 4 it would lag so bad, but now it runs faster than I've ever seen it run before.
The only hitch I noticed was that on level 4 when the platforms got real tall it seemed like you didn't use the speed compensation on the gravity, ie: the platform went down faster than kitty could fall.

Sony stole our name!
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 19:27
hum ... will get it a try now look cool

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 13:58
Do you know how far along the judging is?

Sony stole our name!
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 14:56
The judging hasn't started yet. The contest is over on August 7th.
Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 00:04

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 19:10
the 3 first level are cool
Level 4 is really slow on my computer ( unplayable ) ....
but the game is interesting

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 22:06
Hola Senors! ?Como estas?
i just got back from mexico yesterday night(The city was Tamazunchale if anyone's interested...and i was going with my curch to help out a church down there...)

i actually suggest skipping levels 4 and 5...because i don't like them myself ....

@moldy rat- actually it is sort of a joke but i hope you don't mean it's a horrible game ...(i'm not saying it's the best DBPro game ever but at least i put some effort into it...have you ever tried making a game?...it's hard to actually finish it...especially with two months 'till deadline, from when i started it)

@donut-hehe..that's right i cheated..you see i didn't want to update the gravity every time the loop played becuase it's a NG command and would slow down my game...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:45:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:45:02