Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Battlefield - GTA - Counter-strike tell me what you think

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 20:24
Ok im currently working on a multiplayer game in which there is a city and you can choose to be a terrorist, cop or counter terrorist.
You can choose from a number of scenarios like planting a bomb, steal a bunch of cars, assassinate someone, etc.
The terrorists must do the deed then escape back to the safehouse (randomly positioned). The cops can chase them in cars or a helicopter. The CT's can move in while the terrorists are doing the deed.
What do you guys think?

"I am a worm before i'm a man i was a creature before i could stand"
My setup: Toshiba TE2100, geforce4 420go, pentium 4 1.8ghz, 256mb DDR-RAM
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 20:40
A game where you can be a terrorist would get nothing but bad press - I'd suggest you opt for a more cops and robbers type game, like robbing a bank or something, you could be the robbers, the cops, part of a SWAT team, or a lone hero who can watch it all unfold on the inside then make a bold move and become a hero.

Best to avoid being able do anything too terroristy.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 23:14
what about counter-strike? that didn't get bad press(at least none that i'm aware of .......i don't get out much)

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 01:13
In counter strike, you basically fight other players who happen to look like terrorists - you don't go on missions to assisinate people or plant bombs!.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 01:23
To be fair, in CS you DO plant bombs. As for bad press, doubt it highly in days like today people would love to just go around shooting up terrorists

~*~ Life Is Temporary, Gaming Is Eternal ~*~
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 01:26
Yeah, so nobody at all would be offended at a game where you play a terrorist planting bombs in a city?

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 02:13 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 02:14
Quote: "A game where you can be a terrorist would get nothing but bad press"
So, maddona sold ALOT of music, just beacause it wasn't politicaly correct. I think that politicaly correct is so important. Infact I started a game called Drunk God. In which you were god and you did bad things(I couldn't get it to work). GTA sold ALOT to, beacause it wasn't politiacaly correct. Here are some good politicaly inncorect shareware and mainstream:
-Bearly Sane
-Postal
-GTA

Here are some that are just evil:
-Britany Spears Dance Mix
-Magic School bus
-Barney games
-BRITANY SPEARS DANCE MIX!!!!

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 03:05
The no.1 argument against GTA is that it can be used to plan crime, after the recent terrorism threats and public outrage, a terrorism game where you actually get to play as a terrorist is not a good idea right now. I mean, how long have we waited for Vietnam FPS games to appear? - fear of public outcry puts a lot of commercial game ideas on hold.

Personally I don't swallow any of the nonsense regarding the mental effects of videogames - like most people no doubt - but I think the points I'm trying to make are sensible. I've played all the questionable games out there, and we should'nt underestimate the reach of our games here. That Guy should want a little fame, not infamy!.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 04:10
Eh just try the cops and robbers idea, it will be simpler as well, what type of game will this be in? Stratigic? FPS?

"Think what you like, You'll all be mine in the end."

[href]www.DotBinary.dbspot.com[/href]
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 05:41
I agree with mind storm , do you have already made a basic engine, If yes also for the multiplayer thingy ? ( especially) because im trying to create some multiplayer things, but it's not going very well.

syntax error??? it isn't an error, it is a feature
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Making a cops n robbers game is fine but making a terrorist game is a NO NO. Theyll say it will influence kids too much to do crime. That's why you always have to play as a good guy unless its an 18 or hasn't got any violence.

Who dares; wins.
wkitching
Years of Service
User Offline
Counter-strike has been given bad press for promoting violents in the usa.

One incident at a lan gaming center, there was a clan war going on. As a Clan was winning this guy got a lil cheekey and was calling the team he was beating noobs and spitting other insulting remarks...

After the game had finished the winning player *cheeky guy* went to the toilets and didnt walk out.. he was found minutes later, dead slumped in a corner having been shot in the back of the head by a single shot!. Ive heard other stories related to violents linked to counter-strike.

Peace
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 14:06 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2004 14:07
Well thoes apply to thoes people who play counter-strike religously.

Quote: "Counter-strike has been given bad press for promoting violents in the usa."

Thats common, 50% of all games contain violence... 80%... Hitman 2 for example... your an assasin... a cold blooded killer who has the option of strangling some1 via wire, not to mention a good game.

Besides, it could also promote young america to enlist in law enforcement

That Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 18:56
Ok I think I started a war
lol

anyway I dunno now I forgot about all the violence in america. I'm all the way over in lil' old New Zealand
so Cops and robbers sounds like a good idea.
i've got a litle bit of a city made and most of the main game engine i'm just working on the multiplayer side of things before I do too much more

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 02:27 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2004 02:29
this sounds really cool, I think it would be neet if you bought weapons and bombs like in Counter strike. So if you were low on cash you can go rob the bank, the longer you stay the more cash you get but the more time you give the cops to cach you.

[edit] it would be cool if you had civilians running around too, so you could take one hostage or carjack one

I discriminate against discriminating people....
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 02:57
Is it FPS or Top Down View or a Stratagy

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 03:17
this sounds great If you have screenies, please post some but the idea alone, sounds so damn cool

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 03:46
Something tells me that this game is never going to be finished...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Blanked
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 07:02
Please have some screens next time if you wish for people to comment on your game

ok

good luck on the game

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Why Not Just Get A Map(Of Whereever GTA Takes Place)?
All The Buildings In GTA Aren't Accurate.

-Ilya
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 17:21
Rat,
Care to list some of these games where you play as a terrorist then?

I don't know why you said 'No offence' before outright flaming me.

I quite f*****g sick of the attitude in this thread - when someone with a clue provides a decent argument for making a game like was first suggested I might listen - right now we have a bunch of newbs with a fraction of an opinion.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 17:25
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............terrorist games.............

AH! Postal. The most politically attacked game ever created. You're not necessarily a terrorist but you make GTA look like Pokemon.
A very badly accepted game. Listen to Van B. You can make it violently mischevious without terrorism

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 18:48
There's a few American lawyers with cases against the GTA publishers, there was a documentary about it shown in the UK a few months ago - and yes, the practicising to be a criminal thing is the main point.

I don't agree with the points they're trying to make regarding GTA, and I don't believe that videogames have that strong an effect on people - but there's millions out there that do.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Yart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 17:20
Hey pal, you know what you do for the game? Make it take place in China! Tons of people to run over man! Fun for the whole family!

Anyways, the game sounds cool!

My avatar sucks!
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 19:04
Quote: "Make it take place in China! Tons of people to run over man!"

Is that a refrence to the Tienamen Square insident?

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 19:09
the what?

aks74u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 06:51
there is no such thing as bad publicity...

Over And Out.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 08:32
@That Guy, talking realistically it's hardly likely that anyone with any real power to do anything is going to see your game, this is indie gamemaking and most games are only seen by the indie community. A couple of months ago a bunch of people made a game based on September 11th, using the unreal engine. This game was eventually cancelled (as in not finished) because of all the bad press, and I think one of the Hitman games got in trouble because all the terrorists were shown wearing turbans(or something like that).

Whatever you do there's a fine line between making a game fun and making a game offensive. There's loads of people that die in car crashes but car games are still made, as long as you don't mention or portray any perticualr event in your game you should be fine. And most of all, have fun.

That Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 08:33
Sorry but at the moment I dont have any screenies because I have only made a police station and a bit of a hotel, I'm working mainly on the engine because once that is done its only a matter of throwing in all the objects.
Next time i'll post a couple of pics of the police station it looks pretty good. And mind storm its an FPS.

Quote: "this sounds really cool, I think it would be neet if you bought weapons and bombs like in Counter strike. So if you were low on cash you can go rob the bank, the longer you stay the more cash you get but the more time you give the cops to cach you."

I like that idea and the cops get more points by how quick they catch you the team with the most points/money wins.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 08:59
Once again, Something tells me that this game is never going to be finished...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 04:27
Quote: "Once again, Something tells me that this game is never going to be finished...
"

I think that he'll finish 2 or 3 missions..

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 10:24
Van B
Quote: "There's a few American lawyers with cases against the GTA publishers, there was a documentary about it shown in the UK a few months ago - and yes, the practicising to be a criminal thing is the main point."

Lawsuits in America are way out of control and almost impossible to avoid if someone thinks you have enough money to make it worth while. This is the country where an unnamed company in Utah is suing a major corporation and has yet to provide any credible evidence that wrong doing may have taken place.

I have not seen a credible lawsuit against GTA yet. That is not to say that someday someone will win a lawsuit but first amendment rights will usually prevail here. Not to mention that the game is rated Mature.

That being said I have to agree with Van B that the time may not be right to do this game idea.

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:52 Edited at: 28th Jul 2004 11:01
[iI completely agree with Van B. There is a big difference in being infamous and being down-right offensive! That Guy realized pretty quickly what the big picture was, so I don't know why everyone else doesn't either.

In making games, or movies, or music or any other form of media for that matter, you have to be very careful and watch your a$$! I'm sorry, but I doubt anyone on this forum has the money to hire the high-power lawyers who defend media moguls!

You could make a game about terrorism in the US, and then a member of someone's family who died in the Sept.11th attacks would sue you for mental anguish! Is it stupid?[i] Maybe. But it doesn't matter if they win, because the lawyer fees, court fees and bad press would cripple you anyway. You think you can just get a public defender for a case like that? Ha!

Ad bad press is only half dirrected at your game. The local news presses would jump all over a case like that. You would get harrassed and possibly attacked in your home town.

OK, I'll lay off. Just giving you the facts.

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 12:23
Ow... to many italics...

Apollo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 16:21
bad Press PPFFFFFF, I dought he is going to cause a huge up roar over a dbp game.

elliot
The Nemesis0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 07:03
The only problem is that you can't make a game without causing trouble. GTA encouraged A LOT of crime and so do others like Hitman, Manhunt,Resident Evil(apart from the zombies) and Silent Hill because of the weapons and gore.

Or it could be racial or offensive, a few games are banned in several countries because of racism, sexism, language and other things. All these can make a game more exciting at times but you can't do it because you'll be sued.

That Guy's game will encourage a lot of things but a few of them bad so you'll have to watch it.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 11:05
@Mind Storm: Sorry, forgot to close it and now I can't edit it (tried, but it won't change)

@Apollo: Depends what you do with it. If you put it up on www.dbspot.com for our amusment, probably not. If you put it online and actually try to get people to your site, it very well might. You can't forget, news reporters have to eat, and how many times have you seen them jump all over something stupid? Too many times to count? I'm not saying it is rightfully so, just that it may happen, and I don't think a BDpro game is worth that.

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 13:02:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 13:02:37