Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Survival Horror (No title quite decided yet)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 00:47
Hey guys I am creating a survival horror game in darkbasic pro. I have put what I have done of the story below, I just need to know some feedback.

Title: Unknown

Ur parents just die minutes later they are gone from where they are killed. Blood. U contact the police who don’t believe u and arrest you. Only the next day you find your jail cell open and nobody in the jail section. Who took your parents bodies, where did they go? Mum? Dad?

You experiment through home and you start seeing flashbacks, off your mum and dad just staring in fright and blood coming through the door.

Where are your parents. You find a note in the room

HELL!

You don’t understand

You then suddenly hear a noise downstairs, you get knocked out
You then float above your body “Am I dead? Within minutes you see this horrible place with pain and suffering, u see a road sign saying Mornock Street and kids writing saying HELL at the end. You then see your mum and dad. You then flash back
and wake up with blood on your head.

Im alive
“What could that dream mean?

Once downstairs you start seeing ghosts saying GO! You need to go!

You start to search for this road.

I will need a map to find where this road could be

Thats all I have for now but Im gonna add more. What do you think?
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 01:10
Sounds okay, but some people would ask for screenshots. If you have a look at other thread, alot of people has screenshots with their projects, and you might have people calling you a newbie

A Good Programmer never blames his tools
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 01:19
Yeah sorry no screenshots up just yet, the story was the main thing I wanted to work with first.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any code to this project yet, cuz if not don't post this, because the W.i.P is used for projects that have been coded somewhat.

Got anime?I do.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay then...

Got anime?I do.
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 04:58
Umm GL! I remember theres a game out there thats close to what your trying to make. I cant remember the exact title, I realy wanted to play it tho, It also f*cked up (or so ive heard) where you could be playing and all of a sudden you revert back to a previous area and all that you just did was a dream, theres a sanity bar and if it goes down too much you start to halucinate and random monsters start poping up that arnt real. Damnit i forgot the name!

"Think what you like, You'll all be mine in the end."

[href]www.DotBinary.dbspot.com[/href]
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:48
Yeah thats the problem with a survival horror game, there is alot to plan out. I got the story done, I will probbaly be putting a website up. At the moment I am working on designing the main character and I will put up screens of that. I will probably need to put a team request up for a few people.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Website? Why are you even bothering with a website if there's nothing to see? Don't bother yourself with details yet, just get working on concept.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 03:36
@Mind Storm - You mean Eternal Dark?

gl and hf
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 19:27
That was a game that used the "messing with your mind to invoke fear and anxiety" concept well. Try not catering just to visuals but also provide weird moments through audio and gameplay alterations.

Examples from eternal darkness:
For gameplay alteration, I used the healing spell when I was going insane and the top half of my guy just exploded and I died.

For audio, I was walking through the mansion and all of the sudden I heard this heavy breathing. I followed it, it got louder, louder, and soon it turned into growling and snarling and I came into a room and this thing was roaring. But there was nothing in the room. I looked around for it, then I found the spot where it was loudest and sat there for a while looking at it. All of the sudden blood started trickling down the wall and the music jumped and just the way they did it, it totally freaked me out.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 20:02
I think in Silent Hill 3, when you go in this room where you see a giant mirror and a sink and when you look at the sink suddenly the room changes and blood starts showing all over the wall and your image stands still in the mirror was a very good freaky effect.
Sam Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 06:26
Hiya, I'm the level designer of this game, so I go to post my progress about the level and some design for the game, this is the first stage, every picture is realtime.

this is my progress until now, see ya.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 07:23
NICE! I really like the room with the lamp and the furniture. That looks very good! If you might need any writing help down the road, et me know!

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Sam Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 07:28
thank you, I think we still need programmers for finish the DEMO soon, so if you´re programmer you could help us.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 07:40
Sorry, just learning to code. I should have specified that I meant was writing and editing text for the game.

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 07:42
You can see mt post in Team Requests for writing services (under "Writing Services Available!")

Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 07:49
Eternal Darkness! Thats it! I have to play it... damn! no money.

Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 14:53
Eternal darkness is a weird game, on gamecube, every once in a while blood will trickle down the screen, creepy

Im with stupid...
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 07:36 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 07:37
here we go the first character screen. This is the main character.

I think shes a bit slim what about you guys?
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 09:29 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 09:31
Hey man buy a copy of texture maker i wipped this up in the demo
It can be useful in survival horror games try putting that texture over one of your floors (like in a kitchen or something) and post it i wanna see how it looks lol. A tip for a survival horror game... Now i know one of the Unofficial rules of game development is dont keep everything indoors and too tight... but i say for a survival horro game thats EXACTLY what you need to do. It makes the player feel Claustrophobic which helps add to the SCARYNESS!

I see a beautiful red x dont u?!?! lol here is a link

http://www.geocities.com/eternitygames2001/Bloodfloor.bmp

Copy and paste it into ur browser or it probably wont work

~*~ Life Is Temporary, Gaming Is Eternal ~*~
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 09:43
Thanks dude thats a great texture!
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 09:46
lol np i love survival horror i was originally using that in a mod for Jedi Knight dark forces 2 (yes the 7 year old game engine still lives) based on Resident Evil but that project MAY get scrapped... oh well

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 10:14 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 10:17
and maybe u could just get a better gfx car... haha jkjk yah haha i wish i had a better pc

Duron 750 mhz
64 Mb Pc-100 Ram
20 GB hard Drive
Geforce 2 mx 400

wow... i can actually run Jedi Outcast haha
im getting a new 1 i wanna try ur game when u make a demo on my new pc

Oh hey just a suggestion... the solid colours on the girl make it a bit irritating to look at so maybe if u have a texture artis get them to make her some textures for her clothes!

Hey what is the system requirements you are going to aim for anyways?

bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 10:20
Not sure about system requirments just yet but i will let you know when I can. I will get the clothes changed on the female, its just at the moment while we get a little demo sorted.
Mind Storm 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 10:35 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 10:36
Fix her hair, all heroins have straight hair for some reason... except the one in Van Hellsing, but then again she died

(Just a side note: Dont use red for a background its really against the eyes)

I think a tube top will look better... but thats just me.

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 11:16
Yah she kinda looks psychotic!... bartlett are u ever gonna be on msn? lol i added, u've posted several times, but ur not ON! lol

WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 17:26
You're a great modeller, but is that main character, your main baddy of goodie. If it is the main good character I would give her better hair and face, something that makes her look good not evil.
Other wise nice.

P.S Just a comment I can't model for sh*t, basically cubesand spheres
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 21:00 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 23:12
Just a temporary character for now. Shes meant to be a good guy. . And as for the background your probably right. It was just to show a sample of the character work. Oh and Nemesis I just added you to msn, i am on quite a lot.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 06:48
Wow, I never thought of it that way.

Anyhow, the game looks cool, the character has some work to do, but you mentioned that already so...yeah.
Any comments on general gamplay you have planned?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 08:26
An update to the story should be added soon guys. We are hopefully gonna have a first and third person camera, that way everybody is happy. Ill add some more soon hopefully!
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 02:56 Edited at: 5th Aug 2004 02:56
Hey everyone i am now the Lead Game Designer on this project. I have been working th past few days on this project. Unfortunatley i have been having some trouble with my ISP and only have a quick min to update this as i am at a friends house. I will hopefully have the update to the story in a day or so posted. Sorry for the inconvenience, but im sure you will all like it once it has been posted.

Sam Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 07:32
I left this project, cause I feel used and for "incompatibility of ideas" so from now my designs are not more involved in this project and every picture mine will not be part of this one.
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 07:34
It was not gonna work this game, Sams designs were great but he wanted to create a demo to advertise so we could help other people when I wanted to create the full game.
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 09:02
Ok im confused the project is still being made tho right?

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't sound like it.
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 12:28
Sry i read the thing wrong, so be lookin for the update to the storyline tomorrow! i gotta re-type it up on my dads pc

King Of Fools
Years of Service
User Offline
it looks a great game!

but the main character...
er...
I will be sincere with you...
She looks like a b*tch...

Don't You Think?

Good LUck!!

bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 20:39
The project is still on, just we are missing one member but we can always make up for him.
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 01:53
The game has a name!!! it is "Project Red Dawn"

Here is the update i promised

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Clark, a 26-year-old man who still lives with his parents wakes up in the middle of a thunderstorm. There is a cold chill running down his back due to the nightmare he just had, little does he know the real nightmare is about to begin. He decides that he will go to the bathroom and splash some cold water on his face, however on his way to the bathroom, CRACK lightening strikes right outside his house lighting up the entire hallway. Even though it was only for a fraction of a second it was long enough for him to see the crimson blood rolling down the hallway from underneath his parents bedroom door. He stopped and stared for what felt like hours until he got the courage to investigate. He attempted to open the door but there was something in the way. He pushed even harder which caused the door to swing open, and the cold dead body of his father Tim to fall over right in front of him. He was horrified, and then he looked over and saw what looked like the body of his mother lying on the bed surrounded by a pool of blood. He quickly ran and contacted the police.

5 Minutes later the police arrived. They had Todd fill out a statement and then took him down to the station for some questioning. Todd was sickened when he realized that they thought he did it, after all it was his family that he loved, why would he kill them? The placed him in the local jail while they investigated. 9 days passed and still no word on the investigation. He was getting sick of just sitting around in his 12x12 jail cell but what could he do? That night he woke up to find his cell door open and blood running under the door. He thought it was another nightmare but then he realized that he was fully awake. He opened the door to find a dead jail guard right in front of him. He saw something move in the corner of his eye and just turned to see an inmate charge head first into the bars of his cell. All Todd thought was he was trying to attack me; he noticed all the inmates were acting, well, psychotic. There was something terribly wrong and he knew it, so right before he left he took the officers gun for protection.

He then went to the lockup to get his clothes back, people were dead everywhere. He found his clothes in an open locker in the back, underneath them is a note. It has the word "Project Red Dawn" written in blood on it. He really did not understand, what is Project Red Dawn? It didn’t make sense. He wondered why he was the only one alive, and sane. Right then he heard a noise and just before he turned around *CRACK* something hit him. He was knocked unconscious.

The nightmare has begun…
---------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can tell our main character is now a male. There is a good reason for that and its not because im sexist, the reason will be reveald in the game as it will spoil you fun if i tell you.

bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 08:16
We now have a head programmer so at last things are now going according to plan.
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 03:59
Guess i should start typeing up that 43 pages of stuff i have written out eh bartlett? oh send me tha map u have done of the jail just in case i need to add something for it to work with the storyline.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 04:07
Ran the demo and thought it was excellent. This is truly a quality game, and the pre-rendered environment really complements the theme.

Great job, best of luck to the development team.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 04:11
what demo?

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 07:14
Hey guys,

I have here a map of what is going to be the first scene. I may still change the scene around a bit.

General X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 10:50
wow, that looks awesome, just wondering, with that great graphics vs ability of the computer, what's the requirement for that? system requirement

think once play twice sleep third
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 11:00
How can you know what the system requirements, if the game is'nt even close to be finished.

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 11:57
I never wanted to know the requirements, i mean i wanted to know what requirements he was aiming for

General X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 23:25
easy, the requirement depends on the model, not the code, if your model+levels (every 3D stuff) is:

5K - 20K poly = 500MHz+, pentium 1/2, 64MB RAm*
20K - 50k poly = 733MHz+, pentuim 2/3, 64MB/128MB Ram*
50K - 100K poly = 1GHz+, pentium 3, 128+MB Ram*
100K - 300K poly = 1GHz+, Pentium 4, 128MB+ Ram**
above 300k = very strong poly**

* I did get beyond that, and tested them with my computers
** I haven't yet passed that poly so I'm guessing on this one

ok

think once play twice sleep third
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline