Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / AutoSeam - automatically makes image files into seamless tileable textures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 05:54 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 10:46
AUTOSEAM FEATURES

Take any image file and instantly create a version that tiles seamlessly.
1 click operation. No artistic talent required!
Fully automated processing.
Auto corrects light and shadow variations.
Batch Processing. Process all images in a directory in one fell swoop.
Does NOT use mirroring, blur or kaleidoscope techniques. The image you get out looks like the image you put in, except it tiles seamlessly!
All images appear tiled in a 'preview' window so you can see them at work instantly.

An ideal tool for
CG artists
Texture artists
Website designers
Game Creators (2D or 3D)
Desktop/website background creation

55 FREE seamless textures made with AutoSeam are included with the demo.

EXAMPLE :
First, take your image - this can be anything from a photo to a sketch.
This example image was lifted from a digital camcorder film. I have not altered it in ANY way (note the errors around the edges) :

Run AutoSeam, point it at the file and press OK. The result :

And here's what it looks like when tiled (scaled down slightly for bandwidth reasons) :

Website http://www.dyvision.co.uk/
DEMO http://www.dyvision.co.uk/autoseamdemo.zip

www.dyvision.co.uk
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:22
Nice. Looks very nice. Does it extrapolate colours to fit in, or does it blend together facing edges?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 05:03 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 05:03
Very cool, but $55? That's a little expensive. Texture Maker is only $15 more and it's a full-fledged texture maker.

Maybe lower the price to $20 or something.

"War will make corpses of us all."-Faramir
Jade Phoenix Software is on the way! Get ready for the rebirth of gaming!
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 08:36 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 08:40
$49.99
And this is automatic, has batch processing and delivers what it promises. You can (for example) just throw an entire directory full 1000s of digital photos at it, go off and do something else, then come back to find 1000s of seamless textures waiting for you.

Doing the same thing 'by hand' in another program would be
a) incredibly tedious
b) time consuming hence
c) costly and
d) requires artistic/tech talent

Like I always say - if you think its too expensive just don't buy. Plenty of other people have

www.dyvision.co.uk
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 02:59
I gotta say it looks great, but I just don't have the money

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 04:27
Paint Shop Pro 8 can already make seamless textures.

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 10:26
and there is vanseem? which is free on the dbc showcase page.

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 12:11
Quote: "d) requires artistic/tech talent"

Dude, if you are a
Quote: "An ideal tool for
CG artists
Texture artists
Website designers
Game Creators (2D or 3D)
Desktop/website background creation
"

then you are
Quote: "artistic/tech talented"
thus your freakin program is too expensive, I mean you get vanseam for free on this site, but if you want the exact same thing as yours go here http://countermap.counter-strike.net/Nemesis/index.php?p=19 Dude, its the same thing as your program, with one difference, IT IS FREE

Im with stupid...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 22:59
Yes, $50 is a bit expensive when there are programs doing this for free

Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Then just don't buy it. The fact is that I'm selling plenty already, so the price will stay where it is.

And as for those other programs - if you can live with the level of 'quality' that they give you then good luck

You get what you pay for...

www.dyvision.co.uk
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 11:17
I bet people are buyin it, And are you saying that you demo version has less quality that the full version? I tested that one that was free, against your demo that was based on on a $50.00 version, and quess what, I could'nt tell the difference...crazy world

Im with stupid...
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 14:15 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 14:45
Why do you feel the need to argue? Go use the free tools - I don't care. AutoSeam is $50 - the price of a cheap game - if you can't/wont afford that to support a fellow inde developer who's making apps to make your life easier...

Furthermore, AutoSeam actually works.

And I just recently gave away (for FREE) an entire texture pack, so its not like I've never 'given anything back'.

BTW have you programmed anything recently? I'd love to review it for you

EDIT:
Oh, and Vanseem doesn't seem to be automatic (I think its an art prog so you still have to make textures by hand). I couldn't actually find a d/l link for it so couldn't test for myself.

And that other one linked to above has a LIST of flaws :
a) simply doesn't work - try it with the 'raw' patio sample image I provided above (not good)
b) only opens .bmp files
c) sloooooow
d) no batch processing

I invite anybody who's interested to try all 3 for a side-by-side comparison More sales for me.

www.dyvision.co.uk
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 18:27
Well if he's selling.....then other people definitely don't think it's too expensive.
I'd love to get this one, but we've began to tighten the budget.
Two gameSpace licenses, cartography shop, darkamtter1&2, planning to get two more computers (each $821 unassembled w/out software[no OS!]) did that.
Maybe you could figure out a lite version that was limited, but still produced pretty good results (about as good as your competition but not as good as the full version). Then people would imagine the great stuff they could get with the full version.

From what I've seen though it's awesome.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 21:01
In the UK, a kind of cheap game would cost $50 (~ £25). New Xbox games come out at £45 (~ $91). Anywho, I like the idea of having a Lite version, so people on budget don't complain about the price, but will still like to upgrade to the full package. Suits both sides.

Checkpoint Router: my very own AI routing program: http://eatmuchpie.dbspot.com
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 21:11
Sheesh guys. If you think its too expensive then just don't buy it - and don't bitch about it either.

As Skitchy said, if you don't like the price, go find a cheaper one or free one somewhere else.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 02:39
I agree with IanM. Although I probably have the same opinion about the price, I'm not gonna flame him because of it.

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 06:32
I don't know if the price a reasonable as I haven't tried the product yet. And if enough people buy it for $50 there's absolutely no need to lower it. But after all, this is a forum and not merely a platform for product ads; thus people voice their opinions. Obviously most of them are principally interested in this app.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 11:39
because it doesn't pay the bills And if you don't believe so, you haven't done your research.

Calamari
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 10:05
I have to agree with everyone, the price does seem a tad high, but it isn't up to us to set the price. As far as the fact that others can only load bitmaps, Autoseam uses BMPs, JPG or PNG, now PNGs and JPGs shouldn't really be source for textures. How about TGA and TIF support? I also understand that the automation and batch capabilities are what sets it apart from others, like PhotoSeam($35) from MediaChance, but having no options at all to play with makes it seem a little less of a program than what it probably is. I also found it seems to use some form of overlaying graphics to create a tile. If you give it an image that is already tileable (as might happen in a batch process) it creates a new seamless image but what a mess. Try a image with a solid colour border and you will find it has made a new and interesting texture.
Over all nice little program and it does what it said it will do, but the license you agree to when installing it says "c) The Program is for private use only. You may not use or display this Program for any commercial purpose." so processing an image with it for your commercial game or web page, or to sell in a texture pack is a no no as that would be a commercial use of the program. I hope this is for the demo only, but I can't read the none demo license to find out.
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would you *want* to run an already tiling texture through it anyway?

Nobody seems to understand that the lack of options is kind of the point. I could have put in loads of different switches and sliders, but I wanted to make a program that removed all that fuss for the user. Its all automated.

I've been getting a 97% success rate with random images snapped with a cheap digital camera (see the free textures included with the demo), so the system works.

If you don't like the formats, you can always use IrfanView (free viewer) to batch convert to whatever format you like. I chose .png as the output format because the images are compressed but still lossless (ie. there is zero loss in quality unlike .jpg) .

Oh, and you can use output of the full version for whatever you like.

If I *did* do a lite version ($10-$20), how many of you would actually buy it?

www.dyvision.co.uk
Monkey Of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 20:20
Not me. Personally, I'd prefer to use nem's auto seamer.

Nothing against your program, but any textures that I would make for my game, I would have to bring them into photoshop to blend them in with the other textures in the level. Doing it this way means that I have to work with each file individually anyway, so 30 seconds extra isn't going to hurt.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 21:16
Over all nice little program and it does what it said it will do, but the license you agree to when installing it says "c) The Program is for private use only. You may not use or display this Program for any commercial purpose.

Quote: "An ideal tool for
CG artists
Texture artists
Website designers
Game Creators (2D or 3D) "

:/

What I think would be good is to offer two modes : one easy 1-click batch mode, and naother mode with a few more bells and whistles.

Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, and you can use output of the full version for whatever you like.

www.dyvision.co.uk
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 03:36
Listen... Its a simple thing of supply and demand. Whay do you think Photoshop and MS Studio is so expensive. Since there is a small market for things like this you have to charge a decent amount of money for it if you want to make money. Also the fact that people ARE paying $50 for it is a good thing.. That means that it really has to be worth it.

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Skitchy: you go dude. except... what "cheap game" costs $50? oh well, it's funny, when a big company wants to charge huge bucks it's all good, but when an individual wants to make a buck everybody jumps on him. anyhow good luck.
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 09:45
Doom 3 is 50 bucks. Cheap games are 20.

Terrorists, band together and cast your vote for John Kerry!
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 16:50
umm. you might have to think on a bigger scale...

eg. if you charge $50 for it and 10 people buy it thats $500

but if you charge $25-30 more people can afford it and you might get 25 people buying it which works out at $625

so you have to get the right balance

Create or Play? You choose!
Calamari
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 11:19
I don't disagree that if you can get $50.00 dollars for it why not, pricing is up to the developer. If it were cheaper maybe more people would buy it. If there was a Lite version for $10.00 I would probably pay for it. I'm not sure how you could slim it down, restrict sizes or number of images per batch.
Maybe thats the thing it sort of feels like a lite version of something already. Perhaps rather than a lite version you expose more of the options and make an advanced version and charge a little more or just make version 2 with access to advanced features. What I have found is that there are programs to create textures, and there are programs that do batch seamless work, but none that give us the best of both worlds(I could be wrong).

Have a good one.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 22:10
Its Skitchy's product and its his prerogative to sell it at whatever price he wants.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 03:31
hi phil hows you?

i know that i was merely putting forward some points for more money

Create or Play? You choose!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 19:38
Quote: "If you don't like the formats, you can always use IrfanView (free viewer) to batch convert to whatever format you like. I chose .png as the output format because the images are compressed but still lossless (ie. there is zero loss in quality unlike .jpg) ."

actually .png is a 24 bit image so there is a loss of quality, and i think you should add a high pass filter of some sort some textures end up looking like an ocean on a stormy day.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 13:37
png can be 32bit. Not that it matters as the extra byte over 24bit is used for alpha which isn't going to be any use when generating seamless textures from photos which don't contain alpha in the first place.

PII 300 : 64mb ram : voodoo II 12mb : Win98
Create patches for your dbpro games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 20:59:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 20:59:22