Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tyrannt RPG Engine [Aug 2004] Combat System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 05:34 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2004 07:05
Thought I'd start a new thread for the combat system as this is finally starting to take shape. You can now place your characters on the combat grid. The monsters will also be placed on the grid.

The combat round system has been started and you can now move your characters around the grid based on their action points etc. The actual fighting bit doesnt work yet and the monsters do not currently move. But from this you can get the idea of how the combat will work.

You can download the latest Installer (Currently V0.13 at the time of writing this text) using the following link http://www.jsun.co.uk/TyranntInstall.exe

Below is a screen shot of the latest view on the combat screen. The character has just used up all of its action points.

The space at the top left hand corner is for the 3D view of the combat arena, but I'm going to try and make the actual system work before starting the bells and whistles.

Any comments or ideas for the combat then please let me know (Via my email address or this thread)

Thanks.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 07:22
Just added the monsters movement into the combat system and also modified the character and monster placement routine to place people in intuition order. Over the next few days I'm working on the fighting part of combat.

Again any problems then let me know. (You can download via the link above)

Cheers,

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 09:33
looks nice

"eureka" - Archimedes
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
looks nice

This sig has been dullified!
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 04:46
looks nice

...why do I get this strange feeling of deja vu?

"You don't need a reason to help people."-Zidane (FFIX)
Jade Phoenix Software is on the way! Get ready for the rebirth of gaming!
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool.

Are you a leader or follower.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 14:17
LMAO @ EPO!! Way to break the chain man

The engine looks very interesting, im waiting to see how this turns out

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
wkitching
Years of Service
User Offline
downloading now... looks promising!

i b teh win
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 18:53
Thanks for the comments. I'm just trying to track down a niggily problem at the moment, then I can release the next demo which sould have the first draft of the combat system ready which allows the use of hand weapons, shields and armour. I'll put a message here as soon as I can sort out the problem I'm having. (I cannot use the debugger as it crashes with my project so it's down to loads of print statements to track it down )

Just to note, I know about the array problem that gets experienced with the combat bit in the last demo it's fixed for the next one.

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 05:43 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 05:45
At last a new version has been uploaded. And can be downloaded via this link: http://www.jsun.co.uk/TyranntInstall.exe

Below is a section of the readme that shows what has changed since the last version.

Changes between v0.14 and v0.15

New/Updates
* Added speech to the game to aid prompting.
* Added function to enable weapon/shield/armour skills to be taken for equipped items to use in combat.
* Centralised the working out of movement and attack costs due to them needing to be changed and were used in a few places.
* Modified skill system so that it has a skill type, e.g. weapon, shield, armour and other. This was required before attacking could work.
* Done the routine for the character to attack the monster, minus the damage as this will be handled by a separate module.
* Update some items to make them fairer with their defence in the game.
* Done the routine for the monsters to attack the characters, the damage handling routine will be added as a separate module.
* Added Character damage routines, now characters can fall unconscious and die. Though if all characters die that’s not yet catered for.
* Added Monster damage routines, now monsters can fall unconscious and die. If they all die then combat is over.
* Added healing abilities to items for creating things like potions etc.
* Added the functionality to the encounters for items to be given to characters.
* Updated the Character Inventory screen so that players can now equip/use or drop items. The only usable item currently is a healing one.

Fixes
* Fix huge errors in the find character to move towards routine in the combat section, sometimes caused Array out of range error

Notes
The combat is now complete for hand to hand weapons, you need to equip them (And armour) before you enter into battle on the
main game window by clicking inside the characters boxes then clicking on the items in the characters screen.

Also the Speech will only work on machines that have MS Text to speech installed or another product that uses that standard. If you get a message saying "Speech mode off" press a key and carry on, this is due to you not having the text to speech installed. Have a look on your control panel for speech and see if you can select a default voice. This will be used in the game.

As always let me know if there are any problem/questions or suggestions.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 08:43 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 08:46
After some initial feedback , the following has now been fixed and updated:

Changes between v0.15 and v0.16

New/Updates
* Updated the combat routines so they don't wait around if combat is over or the character cannot do any more.
* Modified messages in combat and added his/her based on sex of character.
* Updated monster damage module to give information if monster is killed or knocked unconscious.
* Updated the giant rat to make it a bit tougher (More HP potential)

Fixes
* Fixed the heal potion always saying healed 0 points.
* Fixed the monster generator so it no longer displays debug message.
* Fixed display bug where death or Uncons in the monsters health was getting merged with what was there previously.

Download using: http://www.jsun.co.uk/TyranntInstall.exe

If anyone else finds any bugs or has feedback then please get back to me.

Cheers,

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 02:27 Edited at: 19th Aug 2004 00:12
BTW If anyone wants to see how the combat is resolved then edit the game.tyconf file and under the:

:debug:

Section change

combat=0

To:

combat=1

Jas

----

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 11:57:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 11:57:55