Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / The demo has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many bugs...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 19:41
Oh yes it does. It loads no .3ds files, no .x files, no .bsp files, NOTHING!! I mean, people have said that the demo IS the full version only it does not have all the features or something..??.. So the demo should be able to load all those things. When trying to load .3ds or .x files I get a messages saying this:

"Cannot Load 3d Object on line 26"

But, I think I may know why, but it really should work.

And then I dont know what is wrong with .bsp files. I mean, it may be becuse I forgot to type in SYNC but, I dont know.

And whenever it is going to load something correctly it gets an error. On windows 98 it says THIS PRORGAM HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL BE SHUT DOWN and on Windows XP it says something about the proram encountering a problem. I will keep trying to load what I need, but if it doesnt work I think the makers should do something with the demo and make it work better, even if it is just for me.

Now, I am not complaining I am just saying that it is not working with so many things I try so I am pointing it out. Does anyone else have these problems, or am I just a lonely problem guy?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 19:51
There is a problem with .3DS files anyway - try using .X files instead.

How about letting us download the .3DS file your trying to load (or send it to Mike), to see whats wrong with it.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
Oh my, yes...
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 19:54
Well, when I try to load it into Milkshape to change it to .x, it doesnt load it because it says this:

Too many faces(17014) or vertices(8770)

So I cant convert it and I am using the demo so I dont have the .x converter... I will give you a link to the .3ds file which is online.

AlamDV, NHL, NHL 2K3....... The best combination ever!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 19:58
Sounds like its highly detailed.

Oh my, yes...
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 20:01
Well, I really do think it is!!!

This is a picture of it:

This is the link to download it: http://3dcafe.com/models/handgun05.zip

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 20:07
I'll see if I can load it later.

Oh my, yes...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 20:14
Yes, the .3DS version wont load (but then most .3DS files wont). However, I had no problem loading when I had converted it to a .X file.

Oh my, yes...
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 20:21
Did you convert using MilkShape 3d or the converter that comes with DBPro? But, can you give me the .x version of it?

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 20:30
I used Cinema 4D to convert it - The colouring is off, but thats easy enough to deal with. Whats your E-Mail address ?

Oh my, yes...
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 20:42
Remove the (at) below and change it to @. This was to stop me from getting spam mail.

Hockeycow07(at)aol.com

Please, dont email any times after this. Only email me for this one thing.

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 21:01
And tell me what you are going to make the subject of it. That way I know it is not junk mail and delete it on accident.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 22:00
DarkJedi,

Please listen to this, it is the last time that I am going to tell you: Don't post topics like "so and so doesn't work.", when often there is a very simple fix. BSPs DO work with the demo. My Q3 demo app compiled fine with both the demo and DBP full. It worked fine even before Patch 1.

A bit of time, a bit of patience and it will work.

Oh and: POST IN THE NEWCOMERS FORUM!

That way we won't have to moan at you

Admittedly it is DBS's fault and 3DS models should run fine but converting to X usually solves all the problems.

There is a new 3D pipeline for DBP which should fix this problem when it is released mid-January.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:12
MrTaToad, where is the email? I am getting bored waiting and waiting. Am I going to get it before today ends? Or am I going to get it tomorrow? I have nothing to code while waiting..... Bye and thanks for converting it!

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:13
Shoot! This thread already has 53 veiws and it hasnt even been 10 hours!

Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:16
"MrTaToad, where is the email? I am getting bored waiting and waiting. Am I going to get it before today ends? Or am I going to get it tomorrow? I have nothing to code while waiting..... "

Try some patience, there are any number of reasons why he mightn't have sent it yet!

Dazzy
DB IRC Chat irc.hashnet.org port 6667 #darkbasic
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:17
I'm sending it now - its called The .X File

Oh my, yes...
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:19
Hey, thanks! I'll check my mail now! I will include you in the REM for it, if it works for me.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:20
The reason I have just sent it was that I've been playing golf with my Dad - got a nice handicap of 1.

Oh my, yes...
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:28
Downloading now!

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:33
Hehe. You said...... "Golf"!!! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehevhehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:49
Ok, listen. THE STUPID FILE YOU SENT ME GAVE ME A VIRUS. I really want to kill you. I got a virus from that file, and it was not even a real file!!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!

Ha. You believed me. No, nothing happened to my computer. No viruses, nothing. But, the file you sent me was not a .x file to be used in programs and stuff. All it was, was a file with the extension ".x document" that opened in NotePad. So, you sent it wrong or something... Are there any demos of that Cinema 4 you said you used? If there are, can you tell me where so I can do it myself? Thanks!

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 00:21
Oh grow up - Of course its a file with the extension of .x document - duh!
If you dont know what to do with the file, then I cant be bothered to tell you. Same with Cinema 4D.

Oh my, yes...
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 00:39
That 3ds file opens fine in anim8or and DBV1.13, but not in DBPro. The x file, made by using the free convertor which came with DB, works in both DBV1.13 and DBPro, except for some colour loss, and the normals appear to have been flipped in the handle. The colour loss problem should be solved if you load a separate texture file and texture it at runtime. Here's some sample code, which you can use to load the model. The model takes a while to load. This code works in my version of DBV1.13 and DBPro.

You can download the .x file here: http://www.mikeyben.org:5432/darkb/gun.x. It isn't zipped, so you shouldn't get any problems, except for the fact that it's 2.7mb. I'd advise using smaller, lower poly models in games.

The demo didn't have any bugs that I found, it was only after being impressed by the demo and buying the full thing that I found bugs, and anyway I'm experienced enough to work around most things.

"may be becuse I forgot to type in SYNC " - surely adding 'sync' to a program is far easier than moaning about it in a forum?

I recommend you buy a new computer and/or completely format your hard disk, and check to see if you have any faulty hardware. I once had some faulty ram (a 64mb stick) and most things refused to work.
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 00:41
Can you please tell me what to do with the file? Do I just put that file into my project folder in the DarkBasic Pro folder and then I do"

LOAD OBJECT "S&W4506.X", 1

?????????????? Is that all I do? Well, I am going to try that anyway...

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 01:14
HAHAHAHA!!! TheDarthster or whatever your name is, MY COMPUTER IS NEW!! I just got my computer August 29th, 2002. Not that long ago. Only what, 3 months? It may be because ofmy graphics card though. I have some 32 MB card. But my computer has a P4 that runs at 2.0 ghz, with 128MB of ram or whatever that is..

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 01:38
@DarkJedi

"I have some 32 MB card"

That is not exactly hot. Most GFX cards these days have 64 or 128MB. The graphics card make and model are VERY important, more important than the speed of your computer as far as DB is concerned (arguably).
I am guessing that you have either an ATI card or a GeForce 2 MX. Check under Device Manager.
If you have a GF 2, make sure you update to the latest NVidia reference drivers (www.nvidia.com).

This is the last time DarkJedi, if you can grow up I think that Rich should permanently ban you. I have seen more grown-up 7-year-olds and you are about as funny as a Teletubbies episode. I think that you are far too immature to use DB, come back in about 5 years time

Also, don't ask us to help you through every little step. Try looking at the source code for other projects on the forum or the RGT forum. There are plenty of small demos and so on that you can look at and learn from.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 01:44
Woohoo! The Darthster or whatever your name is, I got the gun to load!! WOOHOO! Now, can you please help me with positioning it to be like this:

I would like it near the right, like that screen. All I am asking you to do is help me get a code that will place the gun like in that image. So can ya help me out, here? Thanks!

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 01:48
Oh, and, I am so sorry for acting like this. I am just so ecxited that I am making a computer game and everything. I really dont need any help other than to get the gun (i have it) and to position the gun. That is all the help I need. I know how to make bullets from other codes, and I know how to make it hit someone from other codes, and I know how to make matrixes and use many commands like sprites and images and making 3d objects and IF THEM commands and PRINT + TEXT commands. But, it IS my first game EVER, and I am new at this, and I have only have DarkBASIC Pro for 3 days now. So, I dont expect this game to be perfect, but I do expect it to be pretty good from what I am seeing now. Thank you for all the help I have gotten, and I wont ask for help unless I really DO need it.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 02:56
One more message like this Jedi and your account will have to go under review.

Try to be objective with postage names.

Theres nothing I can do if u continue to act in this
irrational manner.

NO MORE CAPS, NO MORE ASSUMED POST TITLES with your INEPT ability to use the language.

2/3 strikes isnt a goo place to be.

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 03:37
Ok. But when did I get to be at 2 strikes?

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 03:39
Oh, but, if we did have an edit button here, then I could change it. BUt there is not edit button so i had to make this one extra post your reading now (i really didnt mean to make this extra one) and i cant change the title.... Are you ever considering having an edit button? Just wanna know.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 03:42
Oh grow up. The demo has bugs, but your doing things wrong. I mean really, I hate seeing posts like this. Why post "The demo has bugs" when it has bugs because you dont know what your doing! Learn the language before making comments like this?

Position the gun? LEARN FOR YOURSELF! READ THE COMMANDS! ITS ALL THERE!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 04:46
Ok. I am reading now. I am sorry. But I was just asking...

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 06:58
its ok to be passionate but its annoying having to clean up after you thats all.

Try to be objective as possible and its cool sailing

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 00:46
I'm sorry, I just assumed that since you have so many problems programming, it would evidently be a hardware problem. I have a 32mb Geforce2 MX400, and most stuff seems to work fine (the stuff that is supported, anyway). Here's some code for a handheld gun. You might want to add a hand to the model, since it looks rubbish just suspended there.

When I first got DB, I didn't know anything about a forum, so I had to work out every single problem from the help files. It's the way I learned to be able to produce code like that from my head.
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 01:43
Ok listen to this. I already had a pretty good code for the gun, and it was fine and I liked it! But with your code, I know have my gun bobbing up and down, it looks better, and for some reason I just like it MUCH BETTER!!!! Thanks! Now, I am having some trouble positioning another object. I want to get my bullet to come out of my gun, and not come out of the aimer. I have tried positioning it to be at the same position as my gun, but it still comes out the middle of the screen from the aimer. I already have one big REM type of thing at the top with stuff in it, and you already are in it, along with RPG Gamer and that MrTaToad guy and IanM... Thanks for your help, guys! But, this is the code I have now, and all I would like to know is how I can get my bullet to come out of the gun.

Can one of you help? Thanks!

P.S. I am not trying to get you to do the whole thing for me. I already had different movement controls and stuff, but I am just using yours to keep everything orderly. Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:24:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:24:17