Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Acoders Compo : A Time to Warp + Source Code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 13:40 Edited at: 9th Aug 2004 13:42
I have released my game for the ACoders Time competition. My title is called "A Time to Warp".

This game takes you back in time through Video Game History! It's basically the same game, represented in 5 different video game eras:

Screen Shots
Here is the 1987 version of the game:

Here is what that same game would look like ten years later in 1997:

Since the competition ended, I have fixed a few bugs and made some enhancements. You can download the latest version of the game (Version 1.03) and the source code as well! Plus, you can read about some behind the scenes information about the game.

http://www.scotttown.com/games/acoders2004/
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 13:51
Excellent game! I think the 1997 version could have been a little more advanced (the car could actually steer, instead of sliding left to right)...

however the 1987 version is fantastic!! really really fun!

fantastic game idea overall, good luck with the competition results.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 16:15 Edited at: 9th Aug 2004 16:15
You could have a 1907 version --just a blank screen!

Great Idea! and cool game.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 01:01
@Walaber

Thanks! I appreciate your comments! Yeah, you are right - steering would have been very cool! You know, I also wanted to put in exploding effects, but I didn't have time. Only the 1987 game shows the car exploding. All other time periods just have the crashing sound.

@Mister Mold Rat

Here is the objective: You have a time line of events in Video Game History. Most of the items in the timeline are locked. Beat the easy game to unlock several of the items. Beat the hard game to unlock all the other items. Once the entire timeline is unlocked, you can read the list and learn some interesting facts!

The gameplay is relatively simple. Shoot the blocks to relveal Time Orbs. All you have to do is collect them in Rainbow Color Order. That is, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple. And watch out for the blocks themselves! Whenever you crash into one of them you lose a car.

The easy game gives you 5 cars, and the hard game gives you 3 cars.

But most importantly - enjoy it! The game takes you back to what games used to look like in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 15:40
I released a new version tonight - Version 1.04

I put in a panel on the side of the screen that shows you what colors you have collected, and what color you are currently supposed to get. Everyone that I have seen play the game (including myself) can't remember what color they are supposed to get. This should help...

I also added some more events to the time-line, such as the creation year of OpenGL, DirectX, and BlitzBasic for the Amiga.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 12:34
congrats on getting 3rd place in the compo!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2004 02:29
Thanks a ton, Walaber.

I have searched the internet and have seen the game showing up already on German and Japaneese websites!

http://www.gamezworld.de/showentry.php?ID=995

Acoders released my private link to the old version to the world. I didn't want them to do that, because I wanted people to download the latest and greatest version. So, I hacked my own website! I replaced the old zip file with an HTML file that contained JavaSript to redirect the unsuspecting users to the latest and greatest version of the game. Imagine that - you click on a ZIP file, and it executes JavaScript. That's almost scary!

Anyway, Over the next month, I plan to completely finish A Time to Warp 2. Until then: game on!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 21:32:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 21:32:37