Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tank MOD: Developer Diary

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 12:50 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2004 12:06
[August 18,2004]

Decided to do Scortched Earth remake quite a while ago. Finally was able to make some progress today though. I started out the day by struggling with a 3D version of it. I had a complicated system going with all of these backround complications, but then I simply solved the problem by totally restarting. Now I'm doing a 2D version(in perspective) with 3D models.

***[EDITED] See New Pictures Below. This Game has also changed to 3D.(Read next few entries.)***

Right now, it's hardly impressive graphically, as I'm only testing the scripting system.

The scripting system is the basis of the game. The Screenshot you saw, was made entirly by my script system in a text file (except the external media of course ). So, Mike, Rich, Lee, and company are just simple strings. By the time I'm finished, I'm hoping to have a totally MODable tank game. It'll be easy enough for anyone, as all you have to do is replace numbers and files, but will be expandable enough to create a whole different game.

My goals for the end of the night:
1.) Keep working on script system.
2.) Stick tanks in their based on scripts
3.) Work on Destrubtable terrain.
4.) Plan out attack system.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
2D.. AHH runs away.

Looks like old-school.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 16:10 Edited at: 19th Aug 2004 16:18
[August 19,2004]

I made some huge process in optimizing my program. I mean, the program still runs at 730+ fps because there's only 3 images, but I'm talking about the scripts.

What you see here, is all you need to create the level, and form the backbone for the other three mechanics.

The game will consists in 3 major parts.
1.) Creating the levels.(Which is right here)
2.) Customizing the media(different tanks, etc.) and adjusting the parameters.(low gravity, super dense ground, etc.)
3.) Game logic. (AI, parsing scripts,and other calculations)

--------------------------------
Laugh at the graphics while you can, there's no way I'll submit something close in graphical quality. I have started working on some 3D media, but I'm not too rushed to show.

Build a good backbone first, and then get fancy.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, the scripts have help files telling you what each number or string represents to make things easy on you. Hehe, maybe I should let someone beta test later on if they think they can guess the variables right now.

The Videogameaholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 17:37
There's a few scorched earth remakes on this forum right now that are all 3D. Personally, I've always liked 2D better (too bad they ruined "Worms" by going 3D)

FYI, Worms Armageddon > *

RMPVG (Real Men Play Video Games)
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 07:24
Heh, thanks. I'm still considering going with a 3D landscape, though I'll be keeping it in 2D perspective.

I'll post a screenshot later today when I fill out my diary entry.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 16:03 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 16:05
[August 20,2004]

Unfortuantly, for some and fortuante for others, I've gone back to 3D mode. Still might consider making a 2D unlockable if there's time since I already have a start on the 2D engine.

Right now I'm just concentrating on getting a deformable matrix working as well as a realistic physics engine. For the landscape, I'll be using a matrix, as there really isn't any other way to go for this.

-Advanced terrain I have no idea how to deform
-.x models would require users to make their own terrains, and since I want to keep this game moddable, that may end up unpretty.
-Matrices are just easy to work with.

Also, the first tank model is done, I just haven't gotten around to texturing it.

After I get the deformable matrix working properly, I'll be attaching the 3D engine with the script engine and hopefully I can start pumping out some levels.

Finally, after that's done, I'll work on more media and more customizations.

[EDIT] Also, I'm considering writting an editor for the script files. Trouble is, I'll probebly have to use an external .dll, or even worse, external application to make it in. Advantage of this though if I can get it complete, is that I'll be able to have users create matrices using a built in heightmap editor, as well as a more organized script system vs. notepad.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 17:20
Ok, good news. Here's a brief screenshot of the new deformable terrain. I'm very happy, although, at 3:17 a.m you start doing dumb things. I spent about 20 minutes trying to perfect the X coordinates, but unfortuantly I kept testing them against Z variables.

(~5 seconds long)

Right now it's a super reliable system for calculating the matrix tile. There also lie 3 variables to make it even more realistic.

1.) Impact: How far to dig into the terrain.
2.) Surronding: The radius of tiles that are effected.
3.) Surronding Impact: Gradually decrease the distance the tiles sink in. (for realism)

Can't see a good version of the Surronding impact from the screenshot though, as I've hit a baseline shot.

Best part is, I can now go to sleep...I mean...The 3D engine is still 100% compatible with the script system.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 17:22 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 17:23
you could deform an advanced terrain REALLY easily. just make a few pre-built "crater" images that are greyscale gradient circles. then you just use a Memblock system to subtract the crater from the original heightmap at the point of impact. then re-build the terrain based on the new heightdata.

even more cool, is you could make equally-sized impact textures, and apply them to the right spot on the texture image as well, giving a "charred-earth" look. the delay when building the new terrain might be a bit long, but if it's a turn-based game it'd be worth it. would look much better than a matrix solution..

however it looks like you're already making progress on the matrix, so oh well

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 17:32 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 17:33
Wait a sec now... <- Me now

By all means, I'll dump the matrix solution if I can get the advanced terrain working. Thanks for the help walaber. Trouble will be making the memblock system, but there's enough stuff in the codebase to help me out.

*Wanders off a little*

After reviewing Kevil's memblock destruction code, I can see that's pretty much exactly how he did it. I'll have to experiment a bit today.

[Edit]Changed tomorrow from today.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 18:11
my idea is to do use an image like this:

you'd have several of these (and much smoother) for each size impact. on impact, you place the center of this image over the heightmap (at point of impact), and subtract this image from the heightmap.

basically you'd have 1 memblock of the heightmap itself (make memblock from image), and 1 memblock for each crater.

the loop would be something like this (pseudo code):

you'd use a similar technique for the texture, but instead of subtracting, you'd just be replacing any non-transparent colors.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 23:41
is this matrix or mem matrix deforming

whats the link to kevils memblock stuff?

btw good stuff

Scorched Turf --> Project Thread
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 03:50 Edited at: 21st Aug 2004 06:19
@Walaber

Thanks so much for the suggustion. I know exactly how I'm going to go about doing this now. Just need to go get my hands dirty with the advanced terrain pack now.

@Powersoft

Quote: "is this matrix or mem matrix deforming"

Just a good old matrix.

Quote: "whats the link to kevils memblock stuff?"

search the codebase for "destructable" and take a look at the memblock section.

Thanks

[EDIT] Ahhh, this is much better.

Script system is up and running to where I had it, just need to connect it with the shooting system now. The game can also run in windowed mode which is nice, so you can minimize it and it'll still run in equal proportions.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 05:50
[August 21,2004]

Ok, I started working on the tanks today. As of now, they're both modeled, and now it's just up to me to UV map them. Since both of them have mounted turrents that cannot rotate, they will be rather simple. (Other tanks will be able to have rotatable turrents.)

The tanks are made into 6 pieces,(4 wheels, 1 turrent, body). An interesting idea came to me. Since the tanks are divided into such pieces, why not let users build their tank inside the game? Sure, they'll only be able to choose the turrent and the body, yet that should make up for some interesting combinations.

So I've now listed down some properties, for each of the tanks that'll apply to each model piece.

Example:
-If you have a small turrent with a small body, your tank will be fast, but have little health.

-If you have a big tank with a small turrent, you'll have a strong tank that shoots fast, but the shells aren't as powerful.

So after I finish UV'ing the tank parts today, I'll build the tank creation system and get the movement code in place.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 09:10
[August 21,2004 Continued]

Here's the first screenshots of the Tank. I plan on having 5 different turrents, and 3 different bodies.

What you're viewing right now, is the heavy body, and the double turrent. I've also got the single turrent modeled which is the same as what you see above(with one turrent), and am working on texturing it right now.

I'm also planning on having 3 different skins for each model, as I plan on having 3 different types of landscapes.

So far it's been a good day as far as this project, as I'm pretty happy with the quality of the tank.(The textures need a few tweaks, especially the snow one). Just need to start working on the movement soon.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow... Nice tank

Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 09:28
looking good

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 11:52 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2004 11:53
Thanks PiratSS&Mitchell.

Will probebly have to re-texture all of the snow textures though, and I accidently took those screens at 640x480 resolution. Nevertheless, here's another one for ya.

(High resolution this time )

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG! That owns. If you fix up that snow texture, it will rock even more.

P.S: what limb # is that tank's head?

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 12:09
Thanks PiratSS. What do you mean by limb number? If you're talking inside DBP, then that's limb# 6.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
yep, that's the 1 I was asking for. ^^

The models are very professional looking. Just need to uv-map those texture,s and you have a fine model there.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2004 16:46
[August 22, 2004]

Thanks PiratSS, I will definitly be tweaking the textures.

Here's a basic menu I've worked out. Only uses 1 image an the rest are the good old box commands.

The neat thing about the menu is, that it'll actually save all of your settings itself as you update them. If for some reason you never check the options, their default is the highest setting. Right now there are only 4 things changable, but as soon as I keep building their will be more options to tweak.

The advantage of this, is that

1.) The judges will definitly be able to play the game, on a wider PC range.
2.) More users will be able to play the game.

The downside though, is that users probebly won't be able to create their own menu layouts, and it'll always be stuck at the default. However, I plan to have in-game action(pre-recorder of course) video gameplay's running in the backround. With this, I'll be able to let users stream footage of their gameplay in the backround, to somewhat allow customization.

Finally, today I was testing my 3D engine to the max with the terrain demo, and I was able to get 150+ FPS while rendering 492,000 polygons. As more objects and textures are added, that number will go down , but with DBP's built in occulision system I shouldn't even have to worry about that number.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Neat. 1 option you should add is: 0 fps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:07:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:07:23