Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why go pro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would I want to get dark basic professional? What features does it have that the original version doesn't? I don't have very much money to spend, so I am wondering if it is worth paying the extra money.
Chess is the game of geniuses
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 03:01
differences between db and db pro include:

different prices....
pro lets you work within windows besides what db does, which makes you work within a program.....or something like that.

im sure that there are more differences, because if there was a $50.00 difference and all that you get is working within windows, I would think that PRO is a RIIIIIIP!!!!

noobie game designer
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 03:35
DBP is super powerful! But most of the options it includes are for the hardcores code games that use super crazy stuff
frostyrootbeer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 22:11
So did I make a mistake by buying the package? Im a newb so I figured id just learn the basics then upgrade later.

words to live by.... Newsgeek.tripod.com
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 22:46
At the moment, DBPro is a bit buggy, so for starting off, DB 1.13 is probably the best way to go. Upgrade later when DBPro is a bit more stable, and you've learnt whats what.

The major advantages of DBPro:
1) Compiled to machine code - will run a lot faster.
2) Currently under development - will continue to be improved and expanded.
3) Expandable by people outside the DB Team (hooray)
Skyone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 22:12
I want DB for linux! WAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

That's about right!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 23:54
Then get 'Wine'. There are no plans to port DB.
Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
ianm, you didn't tell, in the dbp advantages :
we can load the half life, quake 2 and quake 3's maps
I don't use them ( for the moment ) but I'm able to run the map de_dust.bsp with 190-200 fps ^^
it's a great advantage

I'm following John, but I'm not john.
Lol, it is funnier in french
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 13:39
Well, as I'm not actually using them either at the moment, they are not a great advantage to me

In one way you are right - the more commands you have access to, the more possibilities. But on the other hand, more commands means more to learn.

I think that DBv1 is a good package to learn programming on - advance to Pro later once you are sure it's for you.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 18:26
Download the Demo's of DarkBasic Standard w/30 Enhanced and DarkBasic Pro ... then base on the merits of each which you'd prefer.

For the next 3-4months i'd recommend all beginners to DarkBasic Standard ... then move onto Enhanced (DarkMatter) or striaght onto Professional.

The price tags aren't as greatly different as people make out, because on Amazon.co.uk (not checked .com) you can pickup DarkBasic Std for £20, Enhanced upgrade (DarkMatter) for £20 and Pro for £55 plus the menial £5 p&p

So what you purchase is upto you, just try out the languages before you choose to go with one or the other
You never know, your might not like either and prefer BlitzBlasic3D or C++

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro has nice DirectX 8 features like vertex shaders and differnet types of mapping. Reflection mapping, bump mapping...

Murp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 05:17
One thing I really liked about DarkBASIC Pro was the MP3 support. That would allow you to add voices and more music to your game. With my old version of DarkBASIC I could only load MIDIs and WAVs. MIDI is not a good thing for music (arg! sounds like a frigg'n gameboy), and WAVs are kinda large. MP3s are the way of the future! Of course... I'm a n00b and others on this board may shun me for this post of sheer... N3WBN3SS!!! Oh well.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 18:07
hehe murp u can load mp3s now in db113

try

load sound "blah.mp3",1
play sound 1
sync
suspend for key
end

Chessplayer
Years of Service
User Offline
The box on the 3d games creator says that it is made by interactive entertainment. Who is that? Do they have any other products?

Chess is the game of geniuses
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 04:15
You got something against 8-bit style music? While I hate MIDI (despite the fact it's small and even MIDI tech. was used in Akira) I enjoy those classic toons. Sorry to get off topic.

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 05:19:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 05:19:16