Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / DirectX Version Checker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2004 06:34 Edited at: 12th Oct 2004 16:34
I have placed DXVerChecker in the CodeBase. It checks the version of DirectX, and if it is 9.0c or above it will launch the specified game application, then it will unload itself from memory. If not, it will notify the user that their version needs to be upgraded.

I don't have any systems that do not have 9.0c on them. If someone does, can you please post the long version name so I can verify that it is looking for newer versions correctly.

Thanks!

Link to CodeBase
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_view&i=37c39b020894b58cf0dcc5085d5d5f8b

[Edit] Added CodeBase link

" Base 8 is just like base 10 actually... If you're missing 2 fingers! " - Tom Lehrer
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol.
150 views and no replies.
LadyTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 02:16
I wasn't really expecting any replies about it's overall purpose.
What I really need it an older DirectX long version number and that is really so I can verify my method of checking if a more recent version is install.
Incidently the long version of 9.0c is 4.09.00.0904

Being a pre-game utility to check DirectX version, it's only really going to be useful if someone is distributing code to others. We seldom ever know what the enduser has installed, but can assume that the devopement system already has a sufficient version.
I think that if it didn't work I would hear about it.

I was a little concerned about it being written as a 32-bit application though. I did that because 16-bit apps tend to hang windows and I wanted this to unload itself correctly without any memory leaks.

One thing I am considering though is making it attach itself to the game executable so it's more like a wrapper. Doing so would knock it's size down by 30% or more.

" Base 8 is just like base 10 actually... If you're missing 2 fingers! " - Tom Lehrer
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont think Ilya was poking at you, just an observation.

From experience I do appreciate the program as I have sent a brief demo of the mmorpg ive been dev'ing the past 3 months to several people to hear them tell me it complains about a d3dx.dll error (they didnt have DX9 installed). i'd actually like to see the source for your program.

If it doesnt already ? id strongly suggest you write in the option to be down load and install DX9 for the user.

- This message is made of 100% recycled bits and bytes
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 22:53
Quote: " Lol.
150 views and no replies."

I reckon theres a virus inside the zip file, so anyone who downloads it wont even be able to reply here O_O

Peace sells
LadyTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 02:25
I didn't think anyone was poking at me. Sorry if I gave that impression.
I've tripple checked the zip on mine and downloaded it on other systems, and there isn't any virii. So no worry there.

The source is written in PowerBasic. All it does it check the windows registry key 'KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX\Version' for the long version info. (I am researching a quick way to extract the short version info without unneeded disk thrashing). Then it looks for the existance of the gameinit.dta file and then the validity of it's contense.
This looked more effective than trying to checking for the existance of the dx dll's, because they may exist, but not be installed.
I also thought about a link to get the current version, but if it wasn't as useful as I thought it would be, I wasn't going to put much more effort into it. But I guess I'll go ahead and do that.
When I get all the setup features the way I want, I'll rewrite it in C++ and see which I can get the smaller exe file with. However, even at it's current size, it is negligable compared to the game sizes.

LadyTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 04:19
Ok, I uploaded an enhanced version.
Now if you don't have a current version of DirectX it will offer to open the download site.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 17:32
Tech,
That's a nice little app
Thank you for releasing it to the DarkBASIC comunity, much appreciated

One suggestion though, maybe make the error dialogue when the game exe isn't found a little bit friendlier.
Something along the lines of;
An error occured while trying to load whatever.exe: The file does not exist, please modify (that data file) accordingly.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
LadyTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 11:18
Doing a complete rewrite of it! Should be ready within a day or so. I only get to work on it for about 5 minutes between interuptions, but it's coming back together.

LadyTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 15:59
Done. New version. Quicker and more user friendly.
I'm not real good at message boxes but I think they're better.

LadyTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 04:41
New version 2.0.1
Trimmed off 3k of bloat caused by the Windows API.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 19:54:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 19:54:58