Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Advanced Terrain For Upgrade 5.7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2004 00:51
Oh btw looked at the demo and am very amazed at how good it looks and how fast it runs. (very happy) Although I haven't had a chance to play with terrains they look the new way to go over a matrix. Any pitfalls or bugs I should be aware of before playing with terrains? Also what's instore for terrains in future upgrades or are they pretty much complete?
Shadowed Lightning
Years of Service
User Offline
what 5.7 download? i downloaded the dll in the first post in this topic, and all it is is a dll file, and it never did anything for me when i downloaded it the first time.

The Uknown Element Gaming Group
http://www.freewebs.com/tuegames/home.htm
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2004 04:52
5.7 is the upgrade that you can get from the Dark Basic Professional update page. It is the latest, greatest, buggiest (j/k can't see a difference of the upgrades, in bugs) upgrade available for DBP.

Click the sig
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
How odd..
The old one works fine, but when I replaced the dll, all it does is give me a blank screen, then exits out. No errors or anything.
This happening to anyone else?

-Formerly DarkSephiroth-
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
None of the commands were highliting for me, so I made a keywords thingy for each command. Thought I might post it here for any that might want it. Just plop it into the Keywords folder, and it works. Tell me if I missed anything..

-Formerly DarkSephiroth-

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 10:48 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 13:12
IS THERE A BUG IN ADVANCED TERRAIN?

When you use Position Object on terrain it gets holes in it!
Like autohiding doesn't account for position object or something..

Is that a known bug? I'd like it to be fixed, it's a pretty major screw-up

Could somebody post keywords.ini file for Advanced Terrain that actually works?

Thank you

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
I just did?

-Formerly DarkSephiroth-
mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 23:17 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2004 23:19
Did anybody tried smaller than 256x256 terrains?
I'm running NGC and my exe just exits if I run terrain larger than 104x104, but the wierd thing is that the actual terrain build is more of 85x85 ? Won't build more then that, scaled texture ok, but doesn't use additional 29x29 space..

@NathF: Yeah, I know, does it work for you?
My DBPro doesn't see it

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Works fine here. Just put it into "Editor\Keywords\".
Should work, I got online-dbp but i doubt that makes any difference.

-Formerly DarkSephiroth-
mhack2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2004 23:21
I did, exited, got in DBP typed build terrain or load terrain it doesn't highlight it

How is you dbp online?

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2004 04:06 Edited at: 24th Dec 2004 13:10
If you are trying to use NGC with the advanced terrain it will crash with terrains over 21844 polys. It is a DBP bug with make mesh from object command. I started a thread in the code snippets forum about NGC and advanced terrain but haven't had time to work on it lately though the latest code there works.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=42114&b=6

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 14:19
a note, the latest version of the Newton wrapper (1.30a) now supports advanced terrain, and included a demo showing how to do it (which is really simple).

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 03:23
Installed mi update today and added in the advanced terrain plugin.......worked great, nice and smooth (and fast when unsync'd)...
Nice one guys...
(had the same problem with the keywords file not highlighting the commands though!)

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 4th Jan 2005 00:49
Newcomer to site. Recently purchased DBPro and upgraded to 5.7 . After "reading between the lines" in the "Help" and Example files got various things working nicely. But found terrains hard to work with so installed Advanced Terrain - and got most of the problems mentioned in this thread.

Tried NathF's keyword thingy which worked nicely - but the example project provided with the download still won't run (I get a compiled .exe which gives an instantaneous blank black window and then exits). There must be some simple explanation for this since other users get things working.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2005 05:34
Just in case others made the same mistake. Here's what I did wrong. I followed G Man's suggestion:
Quote: "3.) Installed the advanced terrain dll garnered from this address: http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/packs/Terrain_Expansion_Pack_Standard.exe (because I wanted the help and example files).
"

But I didn't realise that gave you the OLD .dll file. I've now replaced it with Mike Johnson's revised version (from the top of this thread!!) and, yes, it's wonderful. Now why didn't someone explain this earlier ....?

Looking forward to playing with the new version.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i keep getting the "7" error, but i can't get rid of it

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
terrains dont work with display modes

Chris64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 01:11
Is it possible to register it? It says I have 4 days left...what happens in 4 days.
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 01:17
KABOOM! Your computer explodes.

Just re-register AT like you did before.

AtomR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 02:22
In 4 days it will stop working and you will have to register it. IIRC it will automatically take you to the registration process.

Take care
AtomR
Falke
Years of Service
User Offline
Where can i get the "Advanced Terrain" programm/plugin?

Falke
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i think you can get it from the upgrades section if you look in the darkbasic pro section of this site.

if not then you'll have to look in the newsletters and find the one which says where you can download it from (its mentioned in a few newsletters, but only linked in one)

in one of the newsletters (maybe the same as the one i just mentioned) it says how to register patch 5.7, similar steps are done to register the plugin and any others

Iain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 03:33
I recently re-installed my system and need to install the advanced terrain plugin again but i cant find where i downloaded it from last time, anyone got the link.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2005 05:10
Answered in your other thread.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 03:13
Could someone explain what a "*.tga" file is and how it can be viewed/edited? A "detail.tga" file is used in the Advanced Terrain example program and my experiments show this can be replaced with a "*.bmp" file. Some guidance on how the two bitmaps are combined (i.e. the "terrain.bmp" and "detail.tga" (or "detail.bmp") files) would be helpful as well. I can work it out by experimenting but that is a very laborious way of finding out how to use what is, after all, an excellent piece of software. I've even got my first game working using Advanced Terrain with my own "map.bmp" files. Wonderful! But please make it easy for us!
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 18:34
photoshop recognises it (it's an image file)

if you wanna look at it, I've saved it to a medium quality jpg and attached it

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 07:48
Thanks Blue Icarian Wings , that was very helpful.

I wonder what other image files are supported? For the time being it looks like I can stick with "*.bmp" files - although in time I might want something more compact.

Just noticed that the same Advanced Terrain example contains some commands which are not documented in either the Advanced Terrain help file or the DBPro manual/help files: e.g. what does the function camera curveangle (a,b,c) do?
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 20:45 Edited at: 15th Jan 2005 20:46
Quote: "Just noticed that the same Advanced Terrain example contains some commands which are not documented in either the Advanced Terrain help file or the DBPro manual/help files: e.g. what does the function camera curveangle (a,b,c) do? "

Absolutely nothing. That's two separate commands xrotate camera and curveangle which ARE both listed in the help commands. just put the typing-cursor on one one of them click help->command help to see the explaination.

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ick I'm having trouble with the adv. terrain thing.
I have the special trial version of dbpro and I;ve done everything needed such as shoving the adv. terrain dll into the plugins-user folder. Then I run the example and it just compiles, executes...then nothing happpens but a black screen and then ends again!

What is the matter?
Cheers,
Nick.

1.9GHZ/Windows XP Home Edition/NVidia GeForce4Ti 4600/128MB RAM/60GB Hardrive
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 06:20 Edited at: 16th Jan 2005 06:26
@Green Gandalf

type load image in your editor and press F1 I believe the help file will say

@SAS Elite Pvt Rakosi
Presume running patch 5.7, and you have the 5.7 version of the advan terr dll from the first post in this thread?

there is a prob with set display mode and advan terr, so um don't use em together
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 07:19 Edited at: 16th Jan 2005 07:31
@jrowe

Quote: "Absolutely nothing. That's two separate commands xrotate camera and curveangle which ARE both listed in the help commands. just put the typing-cursor on one one of them click help->command help to see the explaination. "

Thanks. I should have realised that.

Now what about update terrain? All I can find is update matrix.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 07:28
@Blue Icarian Wings
and
@jrowe

Er, thanks again. Perhaps I'd better get a good night's rest before posting any more silly questions?
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
I still have no luck with adv. terrain. It stills goes to a black screen then ends. And I don't have set display mode etc.
Please help!
Cheers,
Nick.

1.9GHZ/Windows XP Home Edition/NVidia GeForce4Ti 4600/128MB RAM/60GB Hardrive
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 03:41
you own code or the example?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 17:03
@SAS Elite Pvt Rakosi

Quote: "Ick I'm having trouble with the adv. terrain thing.
I have the special trial version of dbpro and I;ve done everything needed such as shoving the adv. terrain dll into the plugins-user folder. Then I run the example and it just compiles, executes...then nothing happpens but a black screen and then ends again!"

Sounds very similar to the problem I was having with Example 1 a few days ago. I got mine sorted out by:

1. upgrading to DBPro 5.7
2. using the updated version of Advanced Terrain (look at the file properties of your Advanced Terrain.dll and check that the last modified date is 29 Oct 2004 - if not, download the new one from Mike Johnson at the top of page 1 of this thread). You might also do a search and check you haven't got both versions in different folders - DBPro might be using the wrong one (this is a guess).
3. (Don't know if this is relevant.) My Adv. Terr .dll file is in plugins-licensed.
4. (Don't know if this relevant either.) I purchased the full version of DBPro and registered both DBPro (which needed upgrading to 5.7) and Adv. Terr. (I found the on-line activation process for Adv. Terr. a bit obscure - but I got there in the end.)
5. If you are still stuck see if you can find the CrashOnExit... (I think) file which is created when you try to run Adv. Terr. - it might give someone a clue to the nature of the problem.
6.I contacted TGC Support direct from their main page and they got my problem sorted out quickly - but you will probably need to be precise out which versions of the various software you are using.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit.

It IS worth persisting - I'm getting hours of fun out of both DBpro and Advanced Terrain and I only discovered DBPro just before Xmas.

Good luck!
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 19:02
Hi,

There is no help file included. Where can I get the list of commands I can use with advanced terrain?

Thanks very much,

T.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 07:03
@ Troll Fiddler

Look at an earlier message on this thread - there's a download which gives the help files (they're a bit limited). BUT BEWARE - that page seems to download an OLD version of Advanced Terrain.dll so make sure you move your new Advanced Terrain.dll (29 Oct 2004 version?) out of the way and then back again (or download it again). Might be worth browsing the whole of this thread before you start.

Good luck.
Vir Ex Machina
Years of Service
User Offline
Fluid support and this plugin would completely rock.

Massive paging terrain would be a huge bonus

All in all it's a cool plugin and way better than the original terrain system.
that dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 05:52
is there a way to include the heightmap file with the exe in the same way that you would include other media in the exe?

http://www.nuclearglory.com/?u=fearik = sweet as hell collision system. easy on that leather thing in your back pocket too.
the left side of my head isn't bigger, the right side is just smaller
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 05:12
@ Green Gandalf et al,

Sorry, just got round to reinstalling DBPro and all dlls etc all over again.

From scratch, what do I need to install and from where to get the Advanced Terrain commands - not just the .dll but everything else as well...?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 08:34
@Duffer

Look at my message on 5th Jan - the link there gives you the Help files and an OLD version of Advanced Terrain. So you need to make sure you either download the new one again or move the NEW one out of the way first - and then back again once you've got the Help files.

What else do you need? Does the Example 1 Project in the Advanced Terrain sub folder of the Help folder work?
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2005 23:45
@Green Gandalf,

Thanks v much. I'll download that and take it from there. Wasnt there something in the mists of time about an Advanced Advanced Terrain Enhancement pack that you'd have to pay for? What became of that?
JulesD
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps this is it.
[href]http://www.dyvision.co.uk/ale.htm
trogdor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2005 06:56
When I installed Terrain_Expansion_Pack_Standard.exe I got 2 instances of EZ Rotate on DBPro Startup.
One is activated and the other is Trial !!! (see attached image)

I uninstalled all enchancement pack and reinstalled them again with EZRotate as last install, still I have 2 EZRotates and I dont know how to get rid of the trial one... All other packs have been activated including the Terrain pack.

Even with all pack uninstalled, DBPro still have dark grey place holders for the packs, and when placing the mouse over those grey boxes it gave me the name of the pack and whether it has a valid cert.

All this just to install the Terrain pack ARGHHHH....
Help

Attachments

Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2005 21:14
I have the same problem with extension pack for the terrain... I have two times, one demo unregistered & one registered! :-(

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2005 12:53
Wow, thats really good terrain : )

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
wtf is spiderman humping? (relating to vues avatar)

Etienne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 09:26
Maybe this post could be placed in the dll talk ?

A pixel is nothing , lots of can be all
_Nemesis_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2005 05:49
Has anyone found an answer to this "7" error problem?
I notice Fox has the same problem, and Froog did.
Any ideas anyone? It's becoming rather annoying
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
every time i try to make my own terrain it fails one way or another, so i just copy and paste the code from the example and then alter it and replace the media.

basically, you need to remember some following things:
o you need an "update terrain" in each loop, like the sync command
o there are certain commands you must have between "make object terrain" and "build terrain", and others arent nessecery
o make sure your heightmap, detail map and texturemap are square, preferably to a base 2 number, for example, 16*16 or 64*64 or 512*512 etc
o make sure you split the terrain nicely so the limbs can handle it.
o i've had problems in the past making multiple terrains, i dont think i ever managed to make more than one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-23 12:23:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-23 12:23:12