Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Shichinin No Himesama - quasi-abandoned compo ragdoll game :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 09:46 Edited at: 30th Oct 2004 09:47
well, I pulled an all-nighter to get this ready for the deadline... not sure if it was worth it, as the game is still far from complete...

but it's playable, so if you're interested you can download the game at the following link:

DOWNLOAD HERE - .rar file, contains the game, source code, all tools used for development (custom tools), level editor (with source code). approx. 23MB.

screenshots (click for 800x600):

any comments welcome.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
Walaber, where did i hear that name
oh , ofcourse, he's the one, He is my Heroooo...

wow, downloading now...

btw u are really fast walaber

GOOD LUCK with the compo!

i think i'll be shocked, but i WILL download this

so, goodbye guys

if i could move in my chair, close my mouth and move my hands, hopefuly i'll comment on it Soon!

again, GOOD LUCK man!
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 11:02
On my 1.7ghz machine this is super choppy, including the audio.

So I tested it on my 3ghz machine, which is the newest one I have, and it ran smooth at first, but as time went on it got choppy, then finally in the hallway the game crashed.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm downloading it right now...

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Played it, it reminded me of Time Crisis, it was kinda slow though and I think you had to much fun with the physics.

There is only one way to package shaolin: Shaolin Soccer...
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 12:03
It runs smooth the whole way through for me... must have missed something...

hopefully it will at least run OK on the judge's PCs

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 12:30
Yeah, right after the first hallway,

"Rigid Body 9 is not found"

Then it quits.

Ran smooth though while it lasted.

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
walaber, same goes here too!

look at the third image in ur first message, this is exacly were the program creashed three times on my computer, were those soldiers killed that lady!

i tried to re-compile ur source but in didn't understand the "... as ThreeD" or something.

it's the debug file if it helps!!!

and it's the frame breakdown:

please Try to fix the problem!

i know u won't give up (i hope), so...

come on...!
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 14:45 Edited at: 30th Oct 2004 14:47
At first, I got about 130-190 fps in the game. However, in the scene where those two dudes get assassinated, it slowed down to 5 fps, the physics acted all buggy, and the dead objects disappeared too soon. The gameplay was like it was in slow-motion. This happened until I shot the two ninjas in that narrow hallway part. Then, it went back up to about 93. If I shoot the princess accidentally in the room that says "Caution", I get an error about the memblock being out of range.

Another time I was playing, after the game sped up again, I shot the blue ninja but not the one before it. After it died, I got two errors: Ragdoll bone 0 not defined, and Rigid body (I think) -1 not defined. Then the camera just stood there and the game did not advance.

One other time I played the game, after killing the three samurais in the next hallway, one of them had seriously bugged up and was shaking, deforming, and pulsating uncomfortably until it hit the ground. After that, I got an error about Rigid body 8 not existing. However, the game continued. Later, it went to a hallway that looked incomplete and stood there. I'm assuming that you didn't that part yet.

I like your games, Walaber, but this one just has too many bugs. You are really going to need to remove these bugs.

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 14:52 Edited at: 30th Oct 2004 14:55
thanks for the comments to far. it looks like I may have accidentally uploaded a slightly old version of the game. right at the end, I was having several of the problems mentioned here (quitting out when the samurai try to kill the princesses)... I fixed the bug, and zipped it up and submitted it... but it looks like I either didn't completely fix it, or I zipped the wrong file

I'm well aware of the bugs... that's what you get when you write the actual game engine in 3 nights... Perhaps sometime in the future I'll turn this into the game that is should have been... but right now I want to take a break from it!

the next version of Newton (MUCH IMPROVED) will be coming out soon, so I'm going to work on updating the wrapper next. then perhaps I'll come back to this project, and grease it up with the new Newton, and a more bug-free engine!

p.s. any physics problems in this game are completely my fault, I simply didn't have enough time to make sure objects were being properly setup.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2004 14:56
Do you think the slowing down has anything to do with Newton? It seems that way, because what else would lower the game down to 5 fps on my computer?

Try
Years of Service
User Offline
i realy got shocked, but for the unblivable bugs

what's going on?

what is ur plan?

oh, just don't give up.
Try
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry, i understood!

GOOD LUCK in the future projectS
jwurmz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 00:49
walaber: excellent work. good luck in the compo

"Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Einstein
Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 06:58
Cant wait to play Looks mighty professional!

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
Cowy 104
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 08:12
If my computer wasn't kraptastic I would play it, those ninjas look funny.

Emu.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 09:48
Walaber! This game looks very impressive! Can't wait for the updated version

--[Gang Wars of New Canada]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 19:36
Another quality ragdoll example from Walaber...
Nice one !
Look forward to an update sometime soon

For game/demo music for YOUR PC and GP32 productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 20:35
walaber - in one of the editors you have forgotten to remove some secret information regarding a piece of purchased software made COLD, i'm sure RK would want you to remove this piece of information

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2ghz, 512mb, geforce fx5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 15:02
thanks for the comments everyone. I'll deinfately eventually rework the game a little. with another week or so, I think I can make it into the game it was supposed to be. the level editors, level format, and overall game design are solid... but the game engine istelf was written very quickly, and could use a lot of tweaking and improving. also the physics could use a lot of adjusting to avoid the existing problems, which are 100% my fault, not Newton's.

the good news is that all of the media is basically ready, so I should be able to release a proper version of the game as I intended it to be without too much difficulty.

my next project is updating the Newton wrapper, but perhaps after that I'll come back to this project, as I agree it deserves to be completed properly.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 17:27
Quote: "it looks like I may have accidentally uploaded a slightly old version of the game."

If you want to upload a newer version, you still have time. I have no problem with people submitting newer versions of games that were entered before the deadline, and yours was.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 22:04
Well it ran smooth, but I had no idea when the game actually started lol, and what are the controls? when I press the space button I get a message like space pressed, and why is the menu in chinees or something ? looks good though .

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 11:26
Quote: "the good news is that all of the media is basically ready, so I should be able to release a proper version of the game as I intended it to be without too much difficulty."

I'm looking forward to the next version of the game.

Quote: "when I press the space button I get a message like space pressed"

I second that. I didn't understand why it showed that message. Maybe a bit of clarification?

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 12:53 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2004 12:54
@rich - unfortunately I'm out of town for the next 8 days or so, so I can't re-upload anything... ah well

@Mussi - if you've ever played House of the Dead or Time Crisis I think it's pretty self-explanatory... when the cinema letterbox goes away, you can shoot. so start clicking on those enemies!

as for the space bar thing that was a test for my messaging system that I forgot to remove

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Mytho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 06:29
try holding the ctrl button, very interesting.

Its the product that counts, not the method.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 06:59
yeah, that's more debug that got left in shows the Newton version of the world, sometimes it crashes too, if there are too many polygons, because of the DBPro memblock size limit

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

wkitching
Years of Service
User Offline
Game is awesome! when bug free il be sure to store this one! its a keeper!

goodgame wellplayed

i b teh win
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 12:56
Quote: "Just a hallway with nothing in it. Then the screen flashes white and the game ended."

yeah, that's as far as I got with the level. I actually had a few more cool rooms all modelled, and some fun ideas for the rest of the level, but I ran out of time.

I'll definately come back and make this into a complete game.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2004 13:41
I didn't have time to include instructions of course, but it's actually a pretty advanced level editor. the proof is that I was able to make the existing level in about 3 hours time, which includes testing and debugging the game as I went.

anyway, when I get around to fixing up the game, I'll make a little readme explaining how the level editor works...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2004 12:06
Quote: "the proof is that I was able to make the existing level in about 3 hours time, which includes testing and debugging the game as I went."

Wow! That's pretty fast. I bet that editor could be very productive. I see it has options for camera flight control and stuff like that, but it does seem confusing. A documentation indeed would be helpful, like you mentioned you would make.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 19:09:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 19:09:34