Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Ouroboros (finished snake game)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 06:55 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2004 05:11
My entry for the competition, finished... snake game. Ouroboros!
[history lesson]Ouroboros is greek for 'devouring its tail' apparently. It's an ancient symbol that first appeared in Ancient Egypt of a snake... doing just that. It's appeared in many civilisations over the aeons.[/history lesson]

I've given the game the 3D treatment, turned it into a puzzle game, added enemies to chase you, water to drown in and a million other hazards.

The main game is the Ouroboros Pyramid, in which you start at the top floor of a pyramid, and work your way down. Each level you complete, will open up the two immediately below it, so you can choose your own path to the bottom. If a level is too hard, backtrack and take a different route
I also have misc. levels, 'classic mode' and a level editor to make your own levels.

The aim of each level, is to get past the puzzles, collect all the Golden Scarabs and then bite your tail, like the Ouroboros.

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 08:05 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2004 05:11
OK... fixed.
Here is an extra screenshot for your trouble

Download it at:
blackmoth.net
or directly at here
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 03:40
Looks great.

Some of that water looks awesome, is it animated?

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 04:55
Thanks.
It's not really animated exactly... it's basically two very large plains with two different textures applied, using the scroll texture command it does give a nice effect
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 07:42
Just played this and i must say im impressed. I love your twist on a classic game and i can be very addictive (especially thanks to the 'Try again ?' button) Ok the only quibble (other that that little quibble i keep as a pet, its cute !) is that the reaction wime of the snake aint that great, hey maybe i just need to get used to it but i found that if you were on the square it was hard to convince the snake to change direction.
That excluded, great job a nice honest good game.
Baggers
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 08:07
Many thanks for feedback

Seems I never mentioned in the FAQs and such about the movement... i'm sure you'd found out while playing anyway, but the snake will not turn towards a wall. He'll turn towards a pit... but if say, there is a wall below you, and you hold down, he won't actually turn to face down until he reaches a space where the wall is no longer there.
Not that that helps in the many bits without walls... but it's good to keep in mind for mazes...
13e
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2004 22:42
Can't d/l this because I'm in work but I gotta say that it's probably the best looking snake game I've seen as far as visuals are concerned.

Superb! -
Parsec
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone. I'm the composer who wrote the music for Ouroboros I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it, since it's the first time I've tried to write anything Egyptian-sounding. Thanks!

~~~ The Timeline is safe. ~~~
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 00:52
I give it the highest accolade you can give a game of this type...damned addictive!

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 02:45
Thanks
Good to hear it has that addictive quality, I was afraid that maybe people would just give up on levels that were too hard first time ^^

If people like the graphics, I guess i'll include two more screenies
Here's the Ouroboros trying to outmanouever an Anubis Guard. Nemesis to the Ouroboros for some unexplained reason!

And here is a shot of the level editor. The swirly red ball acts like a cursor...
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 03:18
Really neat game Tifu. Graphics were good, menus simple but effective and the music superb (well done Parsec )

Gameplay wise it had some nice touches like the bonuses and the eating the tail bits. Had some similar problems to Baggers with occasional delay in the controls which wasn't much fun in particular when it means you fall off a bridge.

One minor suggestion would be to remove the need to reload the level when you retry it.

Good luck with the compo

1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 04:17
Are you including the source code for this project with you entry, so when the competition is done people can look at your game, and see how you did stuff?, because I am very interested.

Click the sig
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:07 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:09
@Fog:
Thanks
It'd probably be quite complicated to implement the lack-of-loading-on-retry-thing at this point, but quite a few of the games I plan to make in future use this same idea (levels made up of blocks...) so i'll make sure to keep that in mind for next time and make sure I can quickly reload levels. The ability to retry levels without returning to the menu screen was actually implemented quite late on, I dunno why I didn't prepare for putting that in from the start... seems so obvious now -__-

@1tg46:
The source code is included with the entry for the competition... it's also included in the download up there
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:11 Edited at: 5th Nov 2004 05:18
Looking for it now...

Can you zip it rather than rar it.

Click the sig
Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2004 05:23
Takes more space