Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Selecting random words

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Could anyone help me with this, I have the feeling the answer is obvious, but I can't for the life of me find a way round it:

I want to select one word randomly from a group of words in much the same way one selects a random number. Is there a quick way of doing this, for instance by listing all the words together.
So far I have only been able to assign each word an individual value, and then check each value with an IF THEN statement. There must be a more efficient way.

Any help greatly appreciated
Xsniper
Years of Service
User Offline
I would recommend making a string array that holds all your words and then do a if - then statement on a random value which will be able to select your word. The reason for this is by making an array each word is assigned a value anyway from 0 to whatever the max array size is. So do your random value and check if your array(value) is equal to that value, etc. Hope I explained that well enough.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 00:02
Just expanding on what xsniper said, use something like

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!
Col
Years of Service
User Offline
Great. Think I'm getting my head round this.
It's really great of you guys to be giving up your time to help newcomers to programming BTW
Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 03:23:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 03:23:57