Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / mono (Full Game)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 01:55
Wow, now that I've finally gotten round to playing this, it's almost as good as Duo . Very psychodelic , though I get the 1/3 screen not refreshing too (on one computer). It does seem to be a TNT2 problem ...

Intel Pentium III (~660mhz)
256mb Ram
Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64/64 Pro
DX 9.0b
Win98

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 17:47
Yep crak for your mouse.

This game is a gas !

Old coder, returning to DB (DBP)
blue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 07:05
Wow Fog, at first, I didn't like it as much as DUO or DUOtris, but now I think I've changed my mind -- it becomes quite fun in the later stages. I especially love all the beautiful bullet spray effects.

And I'm just curious, but you said that this was a test for your scripting system, and was wondering if you were working on some other, bigger project that is going to be released in the future? If so, I can't wait.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 06:17
@Hamish McHaggis
Quote: "it's almost as good as Duo"

Thanks. Well DUO took about 4 months and this took about a week so I'm obviously improving

@Prime_8
Haven't I seen you somewhere before? Thanks mate

@blue
Thankyou
Quote: "And I'm just curious, but you said that this was a test for your scripting system, and was wondering if you were working on some other, bigger project that is going to be released in the future? If so, I can't wait. "

Yes we are working on another bigger project but the scripting system will hopefully be used for many others as well. DUOtris for example made extensive use of it.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
When I was playing Mono, I'm sure I could see Llamas!!!
Great game...sell it to opticians, they will make a fortune. The game gave me an adrenalin rush, which is rare nowadays!!!

Well done!

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 07:04
Hi Pincho,
Long time no see....how you doing?

Thanks. The Llama comment in particular is much appreciated....if you want to see our own collection of animals leave the main menu alone for about 20 seconds

Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 11:48
Great game Fog. I was wondering how do you output the DBPro system error message to a file, instead of the regular message box? For example, when I tried to ALT-TAB from the screen, which obviously it will result an error due to DBPro. But usually, I get an error messsage box. How did you get around with this and write the error to a log file instead?

Thomas Cheah (Technical Director)
Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.
http://www.badnose.com/
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 06:01
Hi Bulleyes and thanks.

Quote: "I was wondering how do you output the DBPro system error message to a file, instead of the regular message box?"

lol. I didn't. That would be way beyond my abilities I'm afraid.

I do use my own log and error files but they don't bypass the existing DBPro system.

pizzaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 21:02
Just played your update, its better than before - seemed alot more frantic. Can't wait until your big project comes out.

Anyways good luck with it.

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 22:04
Yeah really cool game! runs really fast too which is great! bit difficult though, but I think i've got the old version so I'll download the latest version
Robin
ps. I saw the animals walking around the screen!!

http://www.thegameszone.tk | robin@thegameszone.tk

Don't waste paper. It's not like it grows on trees.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 07:05
@pizzaman
Thanks again. Yeah, quite a wait for the "big project" but I'll no doubt keep the small mono sized games coming as I test out various things.

@Robin
Heh those animals really pushed my graphical skills to the limits. Two whole frames of animation.....each !

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 20:16
Well that's confirmed it, Fog is our very own version of Jeff Minter - although probably without the smell of yak.

I struggle with the easy level, only get to about 50% and things really start to heat up - seems my arcade reflexes need work.

It seemed to hang when I clicked on 'Best Scores' or something like that on the high score, I thought it was an online table, but it just frooze. I think I still have the CrashOn file you want to see.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 05:38
lol. Thanks Van.

Quote: "
Fog is our very own version of Jeff Minter - although probably without the smell of yak.
"

Hell yeah....I'm strictly an "Eau de Llama" man.

The freezing's a strange one. No doubt I've done something really stupid....again. If you could post or Email that file please I'll look into it.

Steve Fash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 04:29
Fog, your games are Soooooooo playable....
Top notch stuff and my kids like to play your stuff too !!!
Keep up the great work !
*respect*

For game/demo music for YOUR PC productions visit:-www.futuredevelopments.org.uk
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 06:35
Thanks Fash

Pretty neat portfolio of music you've got on your site.....including a version of Gridrunner, my all time favourite shoot-em-up

http://www.ch-ee-ky.com/gr/

Plazmeh
Years of Service
User Offline
Everything about this game is awsome. It has a mix of Asteroids, and it also has many power ups. AWSOME!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 07:44
Wow!

1800+ XP - GeforceFX 5600 - 256MbDDR - 60Gb Hdd - XP Pro (SP2)
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 01:35
monomonomonomonomono... i dont know about you but when you say mono many times fast it sounds like are saying manamana.. that is if you are doing it for a long time...

anyway this is perhaps my favourite game made in db.
Strut your Stuff is my favourite, next comes Duo and third This.
i didnt know it was so funny and great game... no offence

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2005 03:50
I thought Mono was the half of Duo, but it seems that it's absolutely not worse. Wonderful gameplay, like always addictive. Didn't expect less

- Mind the gap -
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2005 05:31
Heh I'm really gonna have to think of something different to say but for now I'll just say it again......Thankyou everyone

Monsterlords Dev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2005 16:46
I know this maybe a bit late, But good job man! You got me jumpin around in my seat.... uhh.... i mean...

oh well... good job! Great Game!

I serve the Lord, the Light of the world.
Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
great game i love all the weapon power ups. It must have taken ages to think of them all. One thing i will say though is if you press the background changing button in the menu it means you can't see the words at the bottom when you place your cursor over a button until you return to the menu screen from somewhere else.

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 05:21
@Monsterlords Dev
It's never too late.....thanks

@Robot
Ah so you spotted my deleberate mistake Fixed for any future releases thank you.

Robot Booger
Years of Service
User Offline
Very addicting. Can't talk must play.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2005 09:21
hey, did you know that this game got onto the dvd of PCPowerplay here in Australia? They had a "best of free games" section, and Mono actually had a picture on the front of the dvd and was mentioned about 3 times in the mag. great stuff! I told all my friends who are dbpro skeptiks....and all they could say was "its not even 3d"...rich coming from a bunch who play nothing but diablo II and starcraft.

Anyway,

GREAT JOB!!!!

Zac

Aust. Convention...get there!! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38799&b=2&p=1
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2005 06:46
@Evil booger
Thanks

@greenlig
Haven't ssen you around for a while. How you doing?

Yeah the magazine appearances are stacking up.....Yay for DBPro

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2005 06:56
Magazines? Cool fog! I got Time Ship in a German magazine last month It's cool to know your game is included with something many, many people will read / see.

Your games deserve to be in every magazine!

Dumbo and Cool - back on track! 2 level demo and screens in WIP board, 5mb! Go on... have a look.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2005 07:14
Thanks Drew....Congratulations on getting Time Ship in the German mag too

Just a little update to say we've recently decided to revive mono.

As I said when it was released, it was only ever meant to be a test project but the reaction to it has been so possitive that we've decided to turn it into what we consider a "proper" game. So far this has meant rewriting almost every routine used in the game to make it more flexible. And now we can start adding some new content ....

Walnoot
Years of Service
User Offline
VERY VERY VERY NICE GAME

Proffesional !

Amd 64 3000+
1024 DDR Ram
ATI Sappire radion 9600xt
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 23:08
OMG....GOOD GAME = TRUE!!!
you shud put this on the showcase!

"Well, if he dies, it'll teach him not to do it again." - Me
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2005 22:48
@Walnoot
Thanks

@Zotoaster
I think the showcase is currently getting a makeover otherwise I would

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2005 07:24
fog,

Great work! Very enjoyable. I really love these type of games. Perfect for a Cell-phone crossover; it would definately make money in that market.

I know it's basically a demo, but here are some things I would like to see.

A)Perhaps some type of level system where the goals would be 10%,15%,25%,50% completion goals. Of course the swarms would intensify quicker. But the all or nothing goal of 100% left me feeling a bit inept. I believeve 68% was my best achievement.

B)An upgrade weapon where you could plant timed explosives in difficult areas of the screen. In this way you could plant them, and they explode after x amount of time.

C)An option to have the turret function differently. I would prefer that it rotates around all 360 degrees. Pressing right arrow turns it clockwise, left turns it counter clockwise, up and down, swing the turret 180 degrees.

D)A warp feature (sorta like the one in the orignal asteroids) where your ship warps from a difficult position and reappears somewhere else. It would come in handy when things get intense around a lot of particle explosions.

E)Safe energy zones: What I mean by this is, there could be rings that appear for a x amount of time of time, the player would then try to manuever into the ring. Depending on the color of the ring, the player would be immune to particles of that color. So if inside a green energy ring, the player is immune from green for a period of time. This could be explited even further by alloeing multiple ring bands, hence the player could be protected from blue and red for x amount of time. You can even add yellow to be protected from those firing projectiles.

F)Field shift upgrade: This would be a power up that when the ship grabs it, all enemies are momentarily directed away from the space where the field shift was grabbed.

G)Coagulation effect: a bad powerup that if the player picks it up the enemy blobs stick together when thery collide.

Well that just some ideas. Thanks for a great game!

Oh and I thought that I read somewhere that this thread was stickied. What happened?????

~zen

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 09:17
Hi zen,
Thanks for all the great feedback.

Quote: "Great work! Very enjoyable. I really love these type of games. Perfect for a Cell-phone crossover; it would definately make money in that market. "

I'd love to convert all our games to the handheld market at some time. I'm just waiting for the cell-phone market to calm down a bit so there aren't so many different system configurations that would need to be supported.

Quote: "I know it's basically a demo, but here are some things I would like to see. "

It is but as we're now working on a proper version of the game so any ideas anyone has are great....

Quote: "A)Perhaps some type of level system where the goals would be 10%,15%,25%,50% completion goals. Of course the swarms would intensify quicker. But the all or nothing goal of 100% left me feeling a bit inept. I believeve 68% was my best achievement. "

Definately. The new version will have proper levels with different enemy types and you will be able to progress once you have coloured a certain percentage of the screen. This will probably vary depending on the difficulty setting.

Quote: "B)An upgrade weapon where you could plant timed explosives in difficult areas of the screen. In this way you could plant them, and they explode after x amount of time. "

I will probably revamp the whole powerup system and that's a really nice idea, neatly solving the problem of those tricky screen edges. As it would take me seconds to add using our weapons scripting system there's every chance you will be seeing that in the next version .

Quote: "C)An option to have the turret function differently. I would prefer that it rotates around all 360 degrees. Pressing right arrow turns it clockwise, left turns it counter clockwise, up and down, swing the turret 180 degrees. "

Are you aware that you can freely rotate using the right mouse button? Anyway I appreciate it's very important in a fast game like this to have a control method that suits everyone so I have no problem adding your suggestion as well.

Quote: "D)A warp feature (sorta like the one in the orignal asteroids) where your ship warps from a difficult position and reappears somewhere else. It would come in handy when things get intense around a lot of particle explosions. "

Possibly. I think I'd have to test this one. mono is slightly more chaotic than the original Asteroids so warping the ship to a different area of the screen may be slightly disorientating for the player and more of a hinderance than a help. Not sure.

Quote: "E)Safe energy zones: What I mean by this is, there could be rings that appear for a x amount of time of time, the player would then try to manuever into the ring. Depending on the color of the ring, the player would be immune to particles of that color. So if inside a green energy ring, the player is immune from green for a period of time. This could be explited even further by alloeing multiple ring bands, hence the player could be protected from blue and red for x amount of time. You can even add yellow to be protected from those firing projectiles. "

I love this idea. It reminds me of the way the enemies react to the coloured bars in DUO. Perhaps I would change it so the player had different coloured shields instead so they could still move around rather than having a stationary safe zone. However...in the new version the enemies wont necessarily all be red, green and blue so it's another idea I'd have to test before commiting to.

Quote: "F)Field shift upgrade: This would be a power up that when the ship grabs it, all enemies are momentarily directed away from the space where the field shift was grabbed. "

Neat. I already have a similar powerup that directs everythig away from the player for a few seconds so I'll have to think whether this would work better.

Quote: "G)Coagulation effect: a bad powerup that if the player picks it up the enemy blobs stick together when thery collide."

Again I already have some enemies that behave like this (although not linked to any powerup). Should be easy enough to test though so maybe it'll find its way into the final version

Quote: "Well that just some ideas. Thanks for a great game!"

And thanks to you for taking the time to give your suggestions. Some great ones there, some I've already got covered and others I'll see about including. I'll be sure to mention you in the credits.

I have loads of ideas myself of what I want to include but it's always good to hear a fresh perspective on things.

As ever, much appreciated

Quote: "Oh and I thought that I read somewhere that this thread was stickied. What happened????? "

It was but you can't keep thes things stickied forever.....gotta make way for all the great new games

CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 10:57
Quick Q... Is the future release of mono actualy going to be similar to the original mono game where you are an independent entity moving around the board destroying bubbles or will it end up more like DUO with you conected to some sort of bar or restraint, or might it be a combination of that?

and a little idea of my own...

It would be very much appreciated if when a large bubble entered the scene it ah, wouldn't enter near the player, I can't even count the number of times i've been straifing along the edge and got hit with one of those badboys, it can ruin your day real fast i've learned...

Oh yeah, my highscore for easy was 90%, normal was 64% and for hard was 60% - gotta stop wasting time on your game's fog!!!!!!1

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 11:39
Fog,

Quote: "Are you aware that you can freely rotate using the right mouse button? "

I must have missed this. Also, when I was playing it, I was using a laptop w/ touch pad and no mouse connected, so I didn't focus much on the mouse buttons. I will replay it with a mouse attached.

Quote: "I love this idea. It reminds me of the way the enemies react to the coloured bars in DUO. Perhaps I would change it so the player had different coloured shields instead so they could still move around rather than having a stationary safe zone. However...in the new version the enemies wont necessarily all be red, green and blue so it's another idea I'd have to test before commiting to.
"

Yeah, I didn't mean to convey that the zone would be stationary, although re-reading my post I can see that it wasn't clear.

I meant to say that you move to a ring & then the ring stays with your ship. This way you can pick up different color band shields.

=====

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm glad to here that you are still working on this. It truly is inspiring work!

Those firing patterns are top notch. Perhaps one day, you can show us how it's done.

I've never seen such accurate collision detection, with the amount of stuff flying around, at that speed, in any homebrew game.

I'll have to read more about Scripting Engines. I had thought that an intpreter over DB would slow things down too much, to incorperate a scripting system in a fast paced shooter such as this. I have only looked into scripting in C++ for RPG's and the like.

Did you write your own parser?
Is the parser itself written in DB?
Or is the Scripting Engine something completely different than what I'm thinking?

Look foward to all future releases.

Sincerely
~zenassem

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 03:50 Edited at: 11th May 2005 03:50
Hi CPU

Quote: "Quick Q... Is the future release of mono actualy going to be similar to the original mono game where you are an independent entity moving around the board destroying bubbles or will it end up more like DUO with you conected to some sort of bar or restraint, or might it be a combination of that? "

Movement wise it'll be the same as the current version of mono but the enemies wont just be the current asteroid style bubbles.....and that's by no means the biggest change.

[quick]It would be very much appreciated if when a large bubble entered the scene it ah, wouldn't enter near the player, I can't even count the number of times i've been straifing along the edge and got hit with one of those badboys, it can ruin your day real fast i've learned... [/quick]

That's a fair point but it was done for a reason. Namely to stop people just sitting at one edge of the screen straifing

If you could sit at the edge of the screen then it's a lot easier and from testing I can tell you a lot more boring. So it was to encourage people to move around the screen in the same way as powerups never appear near the edges of the screen....you have to move into the dangerous areas near the centre if you want them. It's only a little detail but it makes a huge difference to the gameplay.

I can see how it could be frustrating though so perhaps some warning of the approaching enemy would be a good idea. I'll add it to the list. Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi zenassem

Quote: "I must have missed this. Also, when I was playing it, I was using a laptop w/ touch pad and no mouse connected, so I didn't focus much on the mouse buttons. I will replay it with a mouse attached. "

Maybe a completely keyboard controlled option might be a good idea in this case then? WASD to move and cursor keys to rotate?

Quote: "I meant to say that you move to a ring & then the ring stays with your ship. This way you can pick up different color band shields. "

Yeah that's what I'd do. Just a case of whether the idea works with the new multi-coloured enemies. Needs testing

Quote: "Those firing patterns are top notch. Perhaps one day, you can show us how it's done. "

And a pain to design. Luckily, although it's a pain thinking up the ideas, I can knock out new weapons and firing patterns in a couple of minutes with out scripting system....no coding required. (and that will be even faster when I find the time to write some nice editor tools with BlueGUI ) . Which brings us nicely onto.....

Quote: "I'll have to read more about Scripting Engines. I had thought that an intpreter over DB would slow things down too much, to incorperate a scripting system in a fast paced shooter such as this. I have only looked into scripting in C++ for RPG's and the like.

Did you write your own parser?
Is the parser itself written in DB?
Or is the Scripting Engine something completely different than what I'm thinking? "

Well the scripting system needed for a basic shooter is nowhere near as complicated as that needed for an RPG and that's why speed isn't too much of an issue.

All the scripts are loaded at the start and as much as possible "interpreted" before the game starts to make it faster.

The only major problem I had with scripts was the length of time they took to load at the beginning of the game (I believe mono takes around 30 seconds for me) but I got around this by having my parser convert the scripts into DB code which is written to a dba file. I then include this file when I compile the final release version meaning no delays for the user

And yes everything is written in DBPro.

Thanks again.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2005 11:52
Fog,
Thanks again for the dilligent replies.

I played the game with the mouse and now I love it even more.
It makes a huge difference in my performance and the overall enjoyment of the game.

I now like the firing controls that you have set up, and can appreciate it's design. I find myself alternating between arrow key firing and right mouseclick firing while maneuvering, pretty much naturally.

Now that I understand it, I can say that there isn't much need to change the control scheme.

I also agree with your reasoning of the big blobs. Because my initial
idea was to strafe from the edges or corner like you mention. What a big suprise I got, when that huge mass thrashed me for my laziness.

Are you able to show us an example of a script file for a firing pattern? I'm not asking for the interpreter code itself, but I am curios as to what the files look like or more specifically the code that get's interpreted.

I'll understand if you decide against posting it.

====

The only thing that I find wierd is: Everytime I first try to launch the game it gives me a cannot load image error. On the second try everything loads fine.

~zen

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2005 05:56
Hi zen,

Quote: "I played the game with the mouse and now I love it even more.
It makes a huge difference in my performance and the overall enjoyment of the game.

I now like the firing controls that you have set up, and can appreciate it's design. I find myself alternating between arrow key firing and right mouseclick firing while maneuvering, pretty much naturally.

Now that I understand it, I can say that there isn't much need to change the control scheme."

That's good to hear but you got me thinking and I don't think it would do any harm to give players the option of another control method. I'll see.

Quote: "Are you able to show us an example of a script file for a firing pattern? I'm not asking for the interpreter code itself, but I am curios as to what the files look like or more specifically the code that get's interpreted."

Weapon scripts aren't really a good example of a proper scripting system as they are essentially nothing more than a list of variables.

Some of the other scripts are obviously more complicated as they need to allow for branching conditions which aren't a consideration with bullets. For example the enemy movement script might tell an enemy how to move but will also tell it how to react when shot or which way to turn when it reaches a wall.

Anyway as you asked....for the weapons system I actually have 2 seperate scripts. One stores the physical properties of the bullets (speed, range, damage done etc) and the other defines the weapons firing properties (reload times, direction of bullets etc).

So for example a file to define 2 simple bullets might look something like:

And then a basic weapon file would look like:

There are a lot more commands than that and a lot that weren't used in mono but that's the general idea....and I'm constantly tweaking it.

Of course once I've written all the editors for the weapons system (plus sounds, music, animation, FX, movement patterns etc) you can forget about writing scripts manually and do everything with lovely menus, slider bars and radio buttons

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote: "
The only thing that I find wierd is: Everytime I first try to launch the game it gives me a cannot load image error. On the second try everything loads fine. "

Very very strange. I'm not sure it's an issue with my code as I can't really think of anything that would cause that. I'll have a think.

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2005 02:38
Ah. Didn't realise this was stickied again. Better give a quick update then

Just a note to say the new version is currently on hold while we work on something else. Not sure how long that will take but we will definately be returning to mono afterwards.

So far the new version has an all new background routine which looks superb if you have a half decent PC (if not you'll have to make do with the old, but not too shabby, background system), all new code to create a psychadelic sound system (to match the visuals) and a load of new gameplay twists either already in or planned.

If anyone does have any feature requests or constructive criticism then it's not too late and will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 19:16
Are you willing to give some clues as to how you make it so fast? For example...

the whole background is constantly moving, and you are using the background colours to affect gameplay. That's just "Woooah!"

How do you keep the framerate up with so many entities on-screen? Are they sprites, or some damned clever jiggery-pokery with memblocks?

BatVink
moogle
Years of Service
User Offline
your game rocks !!!!!!
very addictive, full of good idear ! i like it really

respect you

www.whitechaos.tk
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 03:42
@moogle
Thanks

@BatVink
There really are no great secrets, it's all images, sprites and a little image memblock manipulation.

I use a few techniques to try and keep the framerate up (some I've already mentioned here). None of them probably have a huge impact but added together they have a noticable effect. So little things like:

-capping the number of sprite FX created (at 250 IIRC). Creating any more than that is pretty pointless as nobody is going to notice.

-the background is an image manipulated through memblocks but as this is very slow I only update it once every 20 frames or so (again nobody probably notices)

-the background colours are stored in an array which I reference when deciding how the enemies should behave thus avoiding the horribly slow POINT command.

-also important with splitting Asteroid style enemies is not just how many you have on screen but how many you could potentially have if they all split up. For this reason I give the various sizes a weighting and use this to control the generation of new large asteroids. For example if I had 10 of the largest enemies on screen that's not a problem but they could potentially split into 160 Small ones and that might be a problem.

-I'm not sure if there are any savings due to my general coding style. I guess having efficient code is as important as the little techniques I've mentioned above.

TBH both mono and DUO are probably quite deceiving. Everything moves so fast with the backgrounds constantly moving or flashing and this probably gives the impression there is a lot more on screen than there really is. There's still several hundred sprites on screen but most PC's can handle that with no problem.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 07:20
It's very effective

I use what I call "multiplexing", or doing different things every cycle, but you obviously have it down to a fine art. I'm impressed!

BatVink
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 00:56
Quote: "It's very effective "

Thanks BatVink. I don't really use any techniques that most average coders wouldn't already use. As I said it's probably more about making each piece of code as efficient as possible and the small time savings then start to add up.

Quote: "I use what I call "multiplexing", or doing different things every cycle, but you obviously have it down to a fine art. I'm impressed! "

TBH this is one area where I could make some improvements. I don't really use "multiplexing" at all apart from updating the background and if that was a little faster I probably wouldn't use it there either. Everything else is done every loop....God that sounds bad when I think about it

I guess it's about time I overhauled my game "engine" to add something like that to it.....it might just be allow me to throw a few more things around on screen

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2005 16:59
Quote: "-the background colours are stored in an array which I reference when deciding how the enemies should behave thus avoiding the horribly slow POINT command."

That's a bit of myth. As it turns out, it's not the point command, it's not even a Db issue, it's the AGP bus. As reading from video memory is hopelessly slow.

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic (Release V1.08 Out Now)
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 21:43
Quote: "[quote]-the background colours are stored in an array which I reference when deciding how the enemies should behave thus avoiding the horribly slow POINT command."

That's a bit of myth. As it turns out, it's not the point command, it's not even a Db issue, it's the AGP bus. As reading from video memory is hopelessly slow.[/quote]

No it's not a myth, it is horribly slow.

But now we know why

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2005 17:47 Edited at: 24th Aug 2005 18:12
Just tried this out, its awesome! Loving the effects and the graphical style. This reminds me a lot of DUO which I also loved. Keep it up its original stuff like this that the games industry needs [edit] by original I mean the control system and teh background painting, which is beautiful by the way! My mame Machine is actually built in an original 1979 asteroids cabinet, its looking at this game in a very jealous fashion

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 18:37
Fog,

Mono is featured in this article on Gamasutra looking at game graphics. Near bottom of page.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051014/hayward_02.shtml

Katie and Drew return!!!

David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 17:49
hi,i just wanted to say: this game rocks!!

graphics are simple but gameplay more than makes up for it!
i like the music too!

i really hope u guys make a 2nd!

thanks 4 making this
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2005 21:26
@ Kangaroo2 BETA2 & David iz cool

Thanks. Good to hear some people are still enjoying it

@ Drew

Cheers for the link mate. I'd actually already seen it but I'm well pleased that it was featured in that article.

Probably the first and only time we'll ever get a mention alongside the likes of the great Katamari Damacy and the incredible looking Okami

Good article too if you read it from the start.
Will hopefully make some people think a bit more about the graphical style they adopt. Photo realism isn't always best

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 00:23:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 00:23:01