Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / how to create a game and what do i need

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i want to make a 3D adventure game.
but how do i made it.
and what do i need.
to make the game.
]
greatings nicky
Necrum
Years of Service
User Offline
The best advice I can give you is to start small. If this is your first try at making a game then I suggest that you do something much smaller than an 3d adventure game.

It's up to you how you make a game. You need DB if you plan to make it. Learn how to program if you don't already.

Just when you thought life was done beating your sorry ass down, it invites friends to help.
cypher
Years of Service
User Offline
As a game design/program begginer myself, here are a couple things I found useful.

1.) Idea/Story concept
2.) Environment design
3.) Character concept drawing and design
4.) Lots of drawing

Have discussions with people about what they find to be annoying with current games and discover what they want to see in a new release.

And as Necrum says, make sure you learn the basics of programming first and start out small. Check out the Code Snippets Corner in the forums.

I discovered the world of Dark Basic Nov 24,2002. Since then I wrote a small race car game. The Alpha stage I uploaded to www.gamedevvault.com and what I discovered is that my Alpha version of my game ran great on my computer but ran poorly or not at all on everybody elses computers.

The Darkbasic community was very helpful in feedback and I now have a complete game finished with 3 cars and 3 tracks complete with menus and score stats, etc.

As you design and code your program, you might take a short amount of time from codeing and run your proggy on other computers just to make sure your on the right track.

hope that helps, and be patient, it takes a while to make a game.

Cypher

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 14:56
Well, I'll tell you this. If you want to make it outdoors, use MatEdit or 3d Level Creator or something like that to make your map. Then load your BSP into DB, and code the rest. It will be easier to see what you are putting in your level in 3d (by using matedit or something) than to not see it and just code the level (in DB) like this:

make matrix 1,1000,1000
texture matrix 1, "grass.bmp"
blah blah blah

So, ya know.. Hope this, er, sort of helps.

AlamDV, NHL, NHL 2K3....... The best combination ever!
VietStylist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 15:58
Firstly, its not going to be easy.
Secondly, you need to know how to make use of most of DB's commands.
Thirdly, you need to know game deveoping techniques like how to fire a bullet, sliding collision, etc.
Fourthly, you need to have a fair amount of knowledge within areas like maths, physics, multimedia if you want the game to be realistic and good.
And lastly, keep programming, starting from small goals first to those bigger ones.

Vs

333 Mhz , 96 mb ram , 15 inch monitor , intergrated intel810 graphics chipset ...
BBoy VietStylist 1.9k'86
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 16:54
My tips for people who haven't programmed before are these:

Don't worry if you don't know lots about maths and physics and sliding collision and multimedia.

Don't read the entire manual - it will not make sense.
Do look at a demo program like ICED or TANK.
Think of something simple to change, like the speed of the player and/or their bullets, then try and change it in the program (and save it under a new filename).

Did the change work? If not then work out why.
Keep fiddling with the demo programs until you're fairly sure what most of it does. Don't worry about understanding all of it (like the monster AI and Decal controls in ICED).

By doing this you'll get an idea as to what sort of effort goes into a 3D game of any sort. 3D games are all the same really. You need to learn how to move objects around a 3D world and work out if they've hit each other. Beyond the basics it's a matter of programming some "flavour" on top to turn your 3D system into a shooter or an adventure game or whatever - but that's the next level up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 22:00:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 22:00:49