Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / making new segments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 05:28
i whent throu the pdf and i need to run fpsc segments.exe cant seem to find were it is?all im trying to do is put a new texture on a floor segment.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 08:38
That editor isn't included, I asked Rick if he had removed the reference to it from the manual but I guess not! We'll post some texturing guides next week, it's pretty straight forward.

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 09:40
ty vm for that i was going mad looking for it lol np btw fpsc rocks woot woot
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 10:05
Rich,
I just want to confirm. Are we going to get the segment editor or is that going to be left out now?
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 10:19
Not sure. It's certainly not going to appear in any EA update, Rick reckons its far too unfriendly to be of any serious use to anyone (which is entirely possible!). We'll talk about it next week. Remember that this doesn't effect importing your own entities!

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 10:36
I'm just curious. I know it's EA and somethings wouldn't be ready. This isn't too important for me just yet. In a few months yes it might be. In a year, I would say yes it would be needed. So until I start cranking out custom made games, no this isn't too important just yet.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 10:41
I'd say it's important, but isn't a total show-stopper. Segments are far more complex than being just simple objects. They have to mesh together, etc. I've just mailed the team about this, we will decide what to do next week.

Dr Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 11:09
so are you saying that i can't import my level parts into this from maya? we have to use what comes with it only?

Hoping FPSC can do everything everyone wants it to!!!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 11:15
Segments are wall pieces that intelligently know how to link to other segments. That is what you cannot create at the moment. All other objects are fine.

Dr Evil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 11:29
so we can't really customise the levels?

Hoping FPSC can do everything everyone wants it to!!!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 11:36
I didn't say you can't make segments at all, you just can't do it with the editor. You can do it using Notepad and an understanding of the file format, we'll cover this next week.

Crelus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 14:49 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 14:50
Hi,

I did some experimenting with this and found that you can make your own segments. I guess the key is setting up the .fps file to use the proper meshes and textures. I know the .fps file format is supposed to be here next week.

What I'm wondering is what use the .bin file has. I know it is binary, but I don't know if it's the output from the segments compiler or if it's another part of the media for the segment. The manual (section 11.8) says that a .bin file is compressed data.

I went and made a copy of a segment by renaming the bmp, dbo, and fps file and then just not making a copy of the .bin file. When I went to the segments menu the new one came right up. I changed the .x file meshes around and a few other things and it all seems to work. I was able to create my own mesh by playing around with a duplicate of another one.

A segment creator/editor could be created as a plugin for something like cartography shop, gmax, gamespace, etc... if you don't want to write a lot of code or you could just create your own dbpro utility as well since the segments seem to use .dbo files.

Anyways, this is what I've been able to come up with so far. I hope it helps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 17:41:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 17:41:49