Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Ram vs Video Card upgrade advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This question is to Richard & Beta testers:

There seem to be a few of us that have the minimum specs in terms of Ram, Processor and/or Video Card.

Since this (obviously) can cause performance issues would you recommend that we upgrade:

Ram
or
Video Card

I realize that a processor upgrade would boost performance overall, but typically you can only upgrade a processor by a portion of a Ghz(for example my 1 Ghz can only be taken to 1.2 Ghz on this 'wonderful' Dell motherboard). Processor uprades would more than likely require new boards and / or cases, power supplies, etc. etc.

In my specific case I have 512 MB Ram and a GeForce2 MX400 (64 MB)

It does take a while for things to compile and run - mostly due to my processor I would assume, but the whole program acts sluggish... like it's struggling for more ram. When testing small levels I get around 2 FPS. I have a feeling this is because the testing engine is running along side the editor and thier both competing for my ram. These same levels compiled render at 24-27 FPS by themselves.

If I had my druthers I would upgrade everything and buy a new system, but that's not a cost effective solution right now for 1 piece of software so -

Which would you recommend would have a more significant impact for us running FPSC:
1 gig of ram
or 128 MB video card

Thanks for any helpful advice in this area.
Samoz83
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:23
128mb video card

SaM
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 23:42
Almost certainly the video card. The more on-board memory it has (and the faster it is) the less drain on your CPU.

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
a low priced GeForce 5200 would suffice... but if you can, go higher...

the 5200 supports ps/vs 2.0, so you'll see everything... and although it aint the fastest (DOOM3 runs fine on it), it'll do and it cost under a hundred bucks us.

but if you've got the big bucks...

--Mike

--Mike
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 00:16
9600XT or a 9800Pro. You can get them for $200!!
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
Try that first. Awsome card. You will never turn back.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
@Richard - Thanks Rich! I will give that a go then and try upgrading my card.

@Soulman - Thanks for the advice, but I've happy with Nvidia so far. My measly 64 meg MX400 will run almost all games very fast in 800x600 with maximum detail (though I have not tried Doom 3 or Halo 2 yet). This surprises me due to the fact that I have such a limited processor (1 Gig Celeron) and the card is a straight PCI card (not AGP or PCI express).

I did take your advice (from previous posts) about checking out newegg.com and found the prices are very nice.

@Red Ocktober - 5200 seems to fit the bill. I can grab one with 256MB for $98.00 (includes shipping) from Newegg so I will go that route.

Thanks for the advice fellas
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
CoCS:
you would be better of with the 9600xt. it's far superior to the 5200 nvidia. unless of course you side to a graphics card just because of who makes it... which never made much sense to me. best card for the $$$ is the way I go. I don't care who makes it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 13:39:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 13:39:03