Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Floors / Ceilings

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee - is there a more graceful way to do ceilings?

I ask because the current system lends to a lot of same ceilings/floors which tends to create a "tunnel vision" feel at times.

If you alter the ceiling by pasting a different floor above then you are stuck with that floor texture for any room directly above it.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the system?

Thanks!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 06:15
I've found that if you want to have a different room style above to the one below, put 2 levels in between So you would have a lab for instance go up 1 layer and put down lab floors only. Go up another layer and put in another style room, say a detention center. Then all you need to do is build a way of getting from one to the other via stairs/lifts, the look will match in each room.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 06:16
No, you have the perception just right, and represents one of the assumptions we have made on the users behalf to keep the editing process as simple as possible. To have full control over floors and ceilings, the cleanest way would be to create your own ceiling segment (using the instructions in the manual) where you choose your own textures for each side and paint with your new ceiling. The easiest way is to make sure your level design does not conflict your ceilings and floors, usually by making the secondary level two layers up instead of one. There are a number of simple solutions, though I am also open to suggestions how new features can cope with this so we get both flexibility AND ease.

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No, you have the perception just right, and represents one of the assumptions we have made on the users behalf to keep the editing process as simple as possible. "

That's understandable.

Quote: "I've found that if you want to have a different room style above to the one below, put 2 levels in between"

Quote: "usually by making the secondary level two layers up instead of one."

Yeah I thought of that, but it seems a little cludgy and wastes space (though you do get quite a bit of space in each level! )

Quote: "There are a number of simple solutions, though I am also open to suggestions how new features can cope with this so we get both flexibility AND ease."

Hmmm... how about something like this:

Have a ceiling mode that works EXACTLY like the current floor mode. i.e. it pastes the texture on both sides. You are building a floor and ceiling at the same time.

The floor mode however acts as an overlay and wherever you click it changes the texture reference to the top (floor side) of the segement.

I dunno if that would work. Don't the meshs just have one texture designation? If so then that won't work because you can't specify a new texture just for that face...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 05:19:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 05:19:29