Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Some things I'd like to see

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Enhancements I'd like to see for future versions (if not already implemented):

1. Load/Save function. Even if only allowed at end of each level.

2. Elevators, with multiple stops. I am trying to create a game in an office tower, would be nice to be able to have an elevator with a multi-switch to pick floor to go to.

3. Hand-to-Hand fighting, just in case.

4. When editing, auto-scroll when mouse gets close to an edge.

5. Rotating view of layer. (May be implemented, just haven't found it yet)

6. Speed up the time it takes to delete test level. It takes much longer to delete than to create the test level.
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Coming by V1

2 & 3 Agree with you on those issue

4. I don't think I would like this "feature". If it's included have an editor preferences where it can be turned off.

5. Interesting idea.

6. I actually don't seem to have this problem on my system.
Crelus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 22:28 Edited at: 13th Feb 2005 22:51
For the save/load functionality, it would be nice if there was the ability to save/load extra data beyond what the system would need for position/orientation/level, etc... For example, flags like "what are the quests the player has finished", "what's NPC joe smith's opinion of me", etc...

For this to work maybe a mechanism could be added into script where you could create/allocate and modify a global value. This global value could then be written out to the save file or loaded in. When you request the allocation of the global variable you could indicate it it should be loaded/read from the "save game" file.

Example pseudo code:

createGlobalValue(value_name, default_value, include_in_savegame)
palignment = getglobalvalue("player_alignment")

maybe for the script this would translate to something like:

:ALWAYS: getGlobalValue=palignment
:palignment = UNDEF: createGlobalVal = palignmnet,100,true
:palignment = 101: goto=handleEvil
:palignment = 100: goto=handleGood

Another feature that would be nice, and would possibly be a work around for no level saving now, would be to give us the ability to give a pop up box from the game that allows the collection of a string of data. Just a simple input box with a save and cancel button would work. For 'saving' this could work like the old console games where you have to enter a specific code to go to the next level. So, perhaps you could have something like a main room and every time you try to open a door the script will prompt you for a value. Based on what you enter it will know if you have access to a certain level or not. You could even modify the code to embed your current inventory or things like that. Kind of a hack, but it would work and allow for a multi-level game. I can't imagine adding in an input box to the system would be harder than creating a whole level save/load system, but I could certainly be wrong.

It would also be nice to have the ability through script to load/save other levels. Perhaps for games that allow you to move back and forth between multiple levels.

Possibly give the script the ability to recognize a script line without a condition as "ALWAYS". For example

::dosomething=x would be the same as
:ALWAYS:dosomething=x

So you could have

:condition=1:goto=jump_one
:condition=2:goto=jump_two
:ALWAYS:goto=error_handler

;Condition 1
::defineLabel = jump_one
::dothis=1
::dothat=1
::goto=end_label

;Condition 2
::defineLabel = jump_two
::more_stuff=12356111
::goto=end_label

;error handler
::defineLabel = error_handler
::display_message=unkown condition, condition

;Final exit point
::definelabel = end_label
::doSomeExitStuff

Finally, the ability to write custom functions that can be called from script or even just JMP/JSR flow control statements (perhaps with parameters) that allow a script to change execution to a specific label.

Ability to do an #import/#include/etc... type include from within an .fpi script so you can include common code in all .fpi files without having to cut/paste it in.

Just my 2 cents-
Crelus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 00:45 Edited at: 14th Feb 2005 00:45
Follow up - I see said the blind man. Most of what I have written above is not possible without the script engine having more than one variable per fpi. I did not understand this whole issue before. I'm leaving these items anyways, and just adding one big item to my version of the wish list: Multiple variables in a script. I know this is the AE release and so far I'm really amazed at what you can do with this tool. However, until you can have more than one variable in a script it's going to be difficult to make any complex scripts.

This isn't a complaint or a put down. It's just that the AE version is supposed to be here so TGC can see what needs to be added/changed/fixed, if anything, before a 1.0 release. I think this item deserves attention.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:27:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:27:26