Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can DB handle this game idea?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 02:39
I'm a huge fan of "God-Games." Right now, I'm in the planning phase of an airport simulation similar to Airport Tycoon, but far more detailed. Would DB be appropriate for this type of project? Many of the features would be similar to those used in SimCity, TheSims, Zoo Tycoon, etc. A lot of work on grids in a 3D environment. A huge chunk will be based in databases and sorts. Also, my greatest desire would be to impliment a grid with the ability to place objects not only at 90 degrees of orientation, but 45 degrees. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 02:42
The only things stopping you from making this game is yourself, your programming abilities, and your computer.

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.
Troan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 03:22
You name it, DB can handle it. But thier are some stuff it cant do. Should be hadle any kind of game.

-Troan
CarlTaylor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 08:07
I believe that the Sims actually uses sprites for everything but the people. That's why you only have 4 angles of view. Doing this would make your game MUCH faster to run, and would allow much more model detail, but once again, you only have 4 viewpoints.

if you were going for more of a SimTheme Park game though, where you can go into first person mode, this would not work that great. You have to decide what is important to you.

baseball = life
Skycap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 17:36
Personally, my ultimate would be to have it fully 3D. The camera would be, I guess, free-floating: starting out with an isometric type view and angle, then you can pan and tilt with the mouse and move around with the cursor keys. However, I'm trying to consider the worst possible scenario - Chicago O'hare on FS2K2 really slows down my 1.3GHz Athlon when traffic is high. I guess, if I were to render all 3D objects in 2D and just stuck with 8 zoomable (?) camera positions, maybe that would allow for more detail without sacrificing processor power?

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2003 22:38
Yes this is more than possible in DBP I have made a very similar thing in DB1 and am upgrading it to pro to imporve functions

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 00:10
populus the game if u remember this would work perfectly with a matrix and 3d objects.

totally do-able

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 00:49
That game was FUN! I got to level 251.

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline