Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / image/bitmap/sprite??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can some1 please explaine to me the difference between an image, a bitmap, and a sprite.
And how do they work??
If for ex. i wanted to have a background i my what should i then use?
CaiF_R
Years of Service
User Offline
Basically what I need to know is how to work with images, bitmaps and sprites. ect. how to display them and then hide/undisplay them again without the use of cls.

Hope someone can help me. This is really noob stuff I know, but I gotta start somewhere

Iam - offcause - willing to post the "code :S" if it could be of any use if u want to explain somthing to me.

Thanx.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2003 22:08
A bitmap is usefull for 2d commands, for example if you want to draw something using DB commands and want to use it later. An image is just how you load an image into DB when you dant want to edit it and a sprite is for 2d graphics that dont interfere with the background.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
CaiF_R
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks!
So i iam getting this right...
Bitmaps are for drawing (like mspaint but with commands)?
Images are for backgrounds and other gfx?
Sprites are for anims?
Thanks... could u then explaine - shortly (I tend to lean best by trying - how to make a background/image rotate back and fouth 30 degrees with a transparent image on top.
Iam trying to make some wierd demo/intro just to get some experience in db Started 2 days ago.
Basicaly: how to "manipulate" images (move/rotate/scroll)??

CaiF_R
Cheers

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 01:23
Bitmaps are your main drawing areas. You have several hidden bitmaps for drawing to, and one for your main display.

Images are your sprite images, and are loaded from files, or can be grabbed from bitmaps. They generally contain images of your ship, aliens, bullets etc.

Sprites are flat movable images that are displayed independantly of the background display.

Was that helpful or confusing? It's late here.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 01:35
If you want to do all that rotation, I think you are going to have to use 3D plains (flat objects - square or rectangular) instead of sprites, or upgrade to DBPro which does have rotation for sprites, and (wrap-around) scrolling.
CaiF_R
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx guys

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 02:57:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 02:57:46