Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Probably the biggest 'noob' question...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 05:37
hey,
would someone explain what a game engine is? I here people talking about them, but have no clue what they are.
someone enligten me please....

Bishop
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
CompuWiz
Years of Service
User Offline
An engine is just like what it sounds. It's a driving force. The game is just like a big big big big big car, so it needs multiple engines. A big car needs an engine for each wheel, and windows, and air conditioning etc. So a game needs an engine for its graphics, and movement, and enemys, and battles, and menu etc.

Another way to think of it is like a big function. You type it once, then hand it parameters, and then just have it called a lot. Its like what drives your game almost.

The only way to prevent all lag in a game is not to make the game.
AsriCE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 13:45
An engine is the core to a game. It contains all the functions to AI, rendering, physics and so on. Kinda of like DB.

- Asri Crew

Anak Brunei!
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 22:49
but how does it play into your game? do all games have an engine? I mean, how do you make one?
thnx in advance!

Bishop

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Bishop:
I found an article that might help you, or confuse you heh.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/letter_display.php?letter_id=114

My best definition of a game engine is like what CompuWiz said, it is the driving force. The way the graphics are displayed, how the characters move, interaction, environments, cinematics, and so forth...

An example: The Quake engine is widely used. Take the games Quake III and Soldier of Fortune II. SoF II used the Quake engine. So if you have ever played those games you can see the similarities among them. Although, I am sure they tweaked the Quake engine a bit...

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2003 23:51
Thanx all! your help has been great!

Epidemicz:
That article did help alot! Thanx!

Bishop

Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, good to hear...glad I could help.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 00:47
What next, what does the numbers after the title mean (microcrap 3.78.5)?

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 06:42
just to get it strait....
An engine is a set of parameters and rule for a game?
sorry to bother you again...

Bishop

Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, for example....

A car has an engine (well most do) right? Could it function without the engine? The engine in a car regulates and tells the rest of the car what to do right?

Ok, well in a game's case, the engine is made up of code, instead of car parts heh.

You could say it is parameters or a set of rules for a game, but it is more than just that. It is not just one thing, it has many parts.

It is the way the graphics are displayed, how the menus work, the ai, the level system, the physics, and etc.

Depending on what kind of game you make your engine would need different things. Say, for instance, that you wanted to build a FPS (first person shooter).

This engine would need code for...
1.) Movement(straffing, climbing, crouching)
2.) Shooting/Explosion (there is the physiscs)
3.) Enemy AI
4.) Taking damage (self/enemies)
5.) A menu layout (options, items, inventory)

This is coming from the top of my head right now heh, I'm sure I missed a few things. If you need anymore help, email me: epidemicz@myrealbox.com

Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 02:46
THANX ALOT!

Bishop

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 04:14:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 04:14:05