Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Vi-Studio (Visual Interface Creator)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 11:09
yay!!! I was hoping this would be brought back again...havent seen an update in awhile......

<<<<<Used to be "djblackdragon" with being registered in January, 2003, no matter what it says on the left<<<<<
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 09:28
Wow, that font system looks amazing! You should include some more "widgets" like a list box that you can style yourself and whatnot, that would be VERY useful to me. I have a feeling this is going to be making games around here a whole lot more professional feeling with good menu systems... keep up the great work!

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 17:02
Looks like a very nice program, good work on the font system.

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 03:53
Beautiful piece of work. I can't wait to see the final product or at least a demo.

Breaking Stuff=Fun!,Bug Testing<>Fun!, Bug Testing=Breaking Stuff, so...
Bug Testing=Fun! Hmmmm....
DOES NOT COMPUTE! SYSTEM MALFUNTION!
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2005 18:31
I'm Crazy about this app, i cant wait you release something.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 15:35 Edited at: 27th Aug 2005 15:36
<Update>

I've finally managed to get the text creation routine incorporated into the main program, so creating labels within your interface is dead easy. Once you've chosen your font and entered the text you want displayed, you then have full control over the size, transparency and opacity of the text - and you can slot panels behind the text to give different backgrounds. Still needs some tidying up and debugging, but the hard part is out of the way.

The next stage is to work on the 'lights' feature. The idea here is to enable the user to add some spotlights, shine, lens flare, (etc) effects to the interface. Should be relatively easy (famous last words!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 21:02
finaly

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 02:33 Edited at: 30th Aug 2005 02:36
Ended up spending some more time on the text code today - trying to get the edges of antialiased text to blend into the background better. Thanks to Math89 and his alpha mapping function, the results are looking a little more polished than before - you should notice that the edges are smoother now:

Next problem - transparency clipping issues. Thought I had that sorted, but certain combinations of transparent planes seem to clip each other in places. Back to the drawing board on that one!

Attachments

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 03:00
Transparency issue is actually with DBP, which I've been providing Mike with quite a few examples of it recently.

I wouldn't mind knowing how you did the Bitmap Font though, I can do a Unicode style one with a static high and width but as far as natural height and width go; i'm a little stumped.

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 05:19
I thought I had it sussed in 5.7, by using a combination of alpha mapping, ghosting and transparency (both on flag 5), I eliminated all clipping. Now, though, since 5.8, the clipping's come back again, and the only solution seems to be either putting all planes in order of zdepth (which buggers up my movable layering system), or disabling object zwrite (which REALLY buggers up my movable layering system). There was I, thinking that the ghosted plane clipping saga was history! Please let me know if you come across any solutions.

The Bitmap font extraction code uses the point command (I'm sure I could do it faster with memblocks if I knew how, but it's fast enough as it is anyway) to distinguish black (ie the background) from any other colour (ie the letters). It sweeps across and down the image to detect the edges of the letters using the following system:

Notice that in my characterset, I use the two tallest characters in most fonts at the beginning of each row? (Actually, that's now changed to three - I included a 'y', which tends to be the lowest character). That determines the top and bottom of each row.

The first thing the code does is start the pointer at the top left, and sweeps lines across (across far enough to cover the first two or three characters), going down a line each time, until it hits non-black. That determines the top of the top row. Then it keeps sweeping until it finds a row of all-black. That determines the bottom of the top row. Then it continues down for all the other rows.

Then, for each row, it sweeps columns from the left between the top and bottom of the row, until it hits non-black. That's the beginning of the first letter in that row. Then on until it hits a column of all-black - that's the end of the first letter in that row .... and so on for all the letters in each row. A 1024x768 image takes about 20 seconds to extract all of the characters. It then grabs the images and saves them into a folder along with their width and height data ready for use in the display program.

The things to watch for, using this method, are any characters which may be separated left to right - like ", or a in some fonts, which may come up as two separate characters. Apart from that, it copes with pretty much anything, including blurs, shadows, etc.

Hope that gives you an idea of the process.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 16:58
heh, yeah it's not uncommon for them to fix one thing and break another. thanks for the description, I think that should be enough to try and figure something out.

Oh by any chance do you know the Set Blend Mapping commandline in 5.8 that'll use the objects colour to blend with the image colour?
I mean I think if what I do is save fonts purely using the Alpha Channel I should be able to load them as sprites changing the colour in a memblock; but would be better for in-game stuff like quickly changing just the colour if there was a way I didn't have to save several font colours to achieve the effect I want.

Though I'll probably just end up building each text block as a single sprite

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 18:11
If I recall from reading previous threads, you know more about blend mapping than most of us, especially me. Nevertheless, I have found that I can colour my text (which is a textured plane) quite effectively by using blend mode 5 and blending with any desired solid colour image. This sets it to the desired colour, regardless of the object's initial texture, but that has the unfortunate effect of disabling alpha mapping on the object. And if you do try using alpha mapping, that disables transparency on the object! Nightmare! I may be able to get around that by manually changing the alpha layer using memblocks, but I haven't tried that yet.

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 18:16
this is looking awesome

“A lot of people approach risk as if it’s the enemy when it’s really fortune’s accomplice” - Sting“
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2005 23:22 Edited at: 30th Aug 2005 23:23
Looks like the old transparency issues rear their ugly head once again. I have all sorts of clipping with the transparency 5 flag which seemed to be working fine in 5.7, and I'm now back to using the transparency 1 flag - which doesn't clip so long as the object numbers are in the correct order relative to their z-depths.

So, it looks like I'm going to need to write a z-sort routine, so that when the z depths are changed, the objects are all deleted and recreated with object numbers in the right depth order. Sounds easy, but then you consider that each object may have upto around twenty attributes assosciated with it, like position, width, height, texture, opacity, transparency, etc. etc., which will need reassosciating, then multiply it by fifty or sixty objects, that's going to be a lot of work for the program to do when the user only wants to change the layer depth of a single object. May have to incorporate a z-sort menu item, and let the user z-sort whenever he or she notices clipping. Hmmmm...... sigh.......

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 00:26
Heh, yeah well with programming languages it's all about remembering things... which is why I like Visual Studio so much, for the most part I don't have to remember what a function takes.

The new 5.8 command for Set Blend Mapping has a number of additional things; which I had written down at one point but I've lost it now. Still it has the horribly transparency but there iirc, not been able to figure out how to get rid of it unfortunately.

As I said I've show Mike, a few examples of it so far. So hopefully will get it sorted for next release. Reminds me I've got a bunch of examples to send Lee see if I can't get them seen to as well.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2005 14:52
This looks frickin cool!!!! Setting up mailback on this thread

My Website:
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 02:06
a couple of questions:

One maybe a reanswer or something mentioned in the first post, but I just got back from work, its late and I'm tired so I won't bother with the reading

-> When you mean skinning, I guess you mean the windows interface, not DBP, right?

-> Will it be free, I have a free version of Object Desktop, which basically does the same thing, but if its free, I'd make a switch

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2005 00:24
Looks like a partial rewrite is in order after discovering a bug which causes z-fighting between alpha mapped planes at similar z-depths on certain graphics cards. Switching to a sprite based method instead which, if all goes well, will actually be better than the current system.

@Nick: Thanks.

@Teh Buddhist: You really need to read the first post to see what Vi-Studio is - it's nothing to do with windows desktop skinning, it is for making interfaces within your dbpro games and applications.

As for the price - there will probably be a free demo version, and the full version will probably be a minimal price with lots of freebies thrown in.

sizer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 02:36
!!!Must Have Now!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Sempron 2800+ : 768MB RAM DDR400 : ATI 9800PRO 128MB AIW
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 08:23
stopped working on this?

free hosting is never free.
http://projectlance.net/beta/
hosting. Cheap. Your never to young (unless under 16 in the US) to get Hosting!
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 09:50
I would deffinatly use something like this it is a great idea.

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 10:35
Nice very smooth and that would love to test it for you probably the best app i've seen

p.s
Ric do you have msn i have some questions i need to ask you about a project i'm working on

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 11:04
@Ric, I see, kewl, I could do with something like that.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 18:30
Quote: "stopped working on this?"

Nope - work has still been going on slowly but surely! I hope to make some real progress over the next couple of weeks - will update when I have some news.

@DBMad - no msn, but you can email me if you like.

Hell Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 14:26 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2005 14:28
You used BlueGUI to build this application, or entirely DBP? ...It will generate DBP code, and i'll be abble to compile this code without BlueGUI?

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2005 00:03
I am using DBP and Blue GUI to build it , but all you will need to have is DBP to use it. Just draw your huds/menus within Vi-Studio, save it and it will generate the necessary code and files for you. Once finished, it's going to make your life a whole lot easier!

hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 14:28
Any Updates on this?
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 02:12
Hi hackinc - I'm hoping to do a lot of work on this during the next week. I'll post an update at the end of the week, and I should by then have an estimated release date.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2005 04:44
Very nice looking Ric . The font system in particular is quite impressive.

hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 01:06
Good!
new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 18:02
if its free:

NICE!! SWEET!!! WOW!!!

if it isn't free:

coooool, dude!

hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 13:08
Anithing new, any good news, something please!
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 01:06 Edited at: 17th Feb 2006 01:08
Hi - I've been making steady progress on this. However, I've realised that progress always goes slower than expected, and there have to be backwards steps in order to make forwards steps. As a result, I've learned it's not a great idea to talk about release dates until you really are certain you're 99% there!

Anyway, first off - there's a name change. Instead of Vi-Studio, which I think was too similar to Virtual Studio , it's now going to be called 'GUI~Studio', which gives people more of a clue as to what it's for! I've written a completely new drop down menu and toolbar, which are purely dbpro coded now, rather than Blue Gui windows gadgets which had some issues. Also added a colouriser so that text, buttons and panels can be coloured using a colour grid. Did some more work on the text creation to get it looking as smooth as possible, and incorporated a font selector into the toolbar. I've also done a fair bit of optimising so that things all work smoothly - behind the scenes stuff.

Still to do - dial creation (ie health bars, score readouts, speedometers etc.) and user functions for controlling entities from within their code. Seems like not much left to do, but hey - famous last words!

The next WIP update will probably be under a new thread entitled GUI~Studio, so as to avoid confusion after changing the name.

Attachments

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 01:26
WOwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I want it.

Are you using BluGui Library?

How did you made to change the Skin for your Gadgets?

How did you made to make BitMap fonts?

This is very good for my project Future Networks.

This is I want to make to my game.

Could you tell me how manage to change Gui Skin , gadgets?
And how to made this perfect bitmapped fonts?

What plugin are you using to made these bitmap fonts?

Can they support Greek?

Thank you very much.

I am very interesting to purchase.
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:16
I cant wait untill the release I will definatly try it (if its free)

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 15:28
I cant wait untill the release I will definatly purchase it.

Is there any demo ready?

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 23:23
Hi - thanks for your interest!

The layout for the editor is a mixture of BlueGUI studio gadgets, and my own DBP gadgets. I created the fonts using my own program - and will include lots of nice fonts to choose from with the final release. I could probably create a few greek font sets for you too.

I'm currently working on the 'dials, digits and health bars' features. I've still got some way to go, but I'm getting closer to the beta testing phase. When that's done, I'll be releasing a demo and the full version. Watch this space!

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2006 23:56
Wowwww Perfect.

Thank you very much.

I am looking after for release date.

How do you manage to change window skinns?

I try to change them for my game.

Could with your great Visual Studio , change BlueGui Gadgets , buttons and dialogs?

I am very interesting to use for my game.

Thank you very much again for Greek fonts Support.
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 18:11
I'm glad to see this update, Gui~Studio it's going to be ALIVEEEEE....... ALIVE......
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 21:29
Just maintaining this alive! But if anything new here! I'm going to be very glad to hear it.
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 04:05
come back

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 04:47
This is an amazing project! I'm just throwing this out there, but you may use my Open Source GUI functions if you like. I dont know all the features, or if you have tabs or something else done, but you may use it if you like. When im done working on Game Developer i'll give you it's GUI codes as well. But that's if you want them.

Good luck!

GameDeveloper's EasyEdit v0.5, view thread #2
Bob da reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks amazing i've bookmarked this, i hope you get the health bars done because I really want to use this.

I pwn n00bs - current project "Darkness Falls"
Shadow Coderer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 18:15
it looks nice now but a little blurry on the eys if u know what i mean. perhaps bigger/darker text- atleast opn the file tool bar? wicked i dea though- i would love to use it when its finished.

"If I die, tell my wife 'hello'"
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2006 15:42
bump...

i cant wait for this!!any price information yet?

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 15:32
Hey Ric nothing new on this.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 15:36
Has anyone even seen Ric around the last while? His last post in this thread is the 7th of April

Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:57
Nothing to say than "Excellent job" dear!!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 11:26:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 11:26:44