Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / [LOCKED] Will there be any update for DB

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When will we see a update for DB apart from DBP
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 01:22
Highly unlikely.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 03:59
:: sighs ::
i doubt it too, which is a shame

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
freak
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess they do it because they'll earn more money when everyone has to buy DBpro instead of upgrading DB

Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 16:35
Perhaps. I for one would like to see another update to DBClassic - I'm kind of opposed to using DBPro because nearly all the challenges that I get, and enjoy, with DB are replaced with single-line commands in DBPro! No fun at all!

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 17:32
"I guess they do it because they'll earn more money when everyone has to buy DBpro instead of upgrading DB"

Or perhaps "they" do it because the technology in DB is from 1999 and hey - it's time for an update?!!

Cheers,

Rich

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 17:43
sometimes a project just cant grow any bigger and is now defunct with todays standards and technology.

time for a new pet

freak
Years of Service
User Offline
[I][B]it's time for an update?!![/B][/I]

that was what xmen was asking, but you answered there won't be an update

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 22:29
I think it isn't very fair to 'us' because 'we' have bought Darkbasic Classic. If we knew this, we had better wait a year and buy DBPro. I've downloaded the DBPro Demo one, and I like DBClassic more than DBPro. But that's kinda personal. Why don't make updates for both programmes. On all programmes you have Pro and Normal versions. But 'they' want to stop with the normal versions? Only pro? Why?

Current project: Earth Chaos, a FPRTS
freak
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe they could give a reduced price for DBpro (let's say -50%) when we return our DB cd
that's a good price for an upgrade from DB to DBpro I think

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 00:43
there's already an update pack thats less in price than buying DBPro full!

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 00:56
You've missed the boat there ... DBPro was offered discounted to DB Classic owners up until the end of the year.

Also, as Rich said, DB Classic is now based on old technology. It would be difficult to justify changes to it just on a cost basis. I suppose they could licence it to a third party...

As for earning more money from DBPro, that's probably right. I would expect DB Classic to hardly be selling anymore, even if Pro hadn't come along. And free updates don't earn you money for luxury items like ... a roof over your head?

Everything moves on, or it gets left behind.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 01:39
"On all programmes you have Pro and Normal versions. But 'they' want to stop with the normal versions? Only pro? Why?"

Actually I think that's a misconception based on the title of the program. If we'd called it DarkBASIC 2003 for example you wouldn't have said that. Microsoft don't retro-actively support their old (5 years+) applications (operating systems, yes, but they don't enhance and add features to old applications - only bug fixes) so really, why should we? Same with Blitz = Blitz 3D = Blitz Max (if ever?).

Amazingly enough though, DB Classic still sells very strongly - very strongly indeed. We have many many publishing deals set-up all over the world with it and they all generate sales, quite cool really. DBPro is evolution, simple as that.

Cheers,

Rich

freak
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah I know, here (Belgium) it's easy to find DB in some stores, but I didn't saw DBpro yet (but I didn't looked especially for it last months).

freak
Years of Service
User Offline
oops... some errors in my english language
correction:
yeah I know, here (Belgium) it's easy to find DB in some stores, but I didn't see DBpro yet (but I didn't look especially for it last months).

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 02:32
It's all down to publishers - there is a different one for each territory and some of them want to take on DBPro and some of them don't - we can't force them We of course sell it worldwide, but local language support is important to some people so it's always good when new publishers come onboard but just because they carry DB doesn't mean they automatically carry DBPro.

Cheers,

Rich

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
They cant upgrade db right now because all their efforts is to get all the dbpro patches out to the people demanding them. Now is an important moment with patches because they taken out most 3d formats for fixing and they need to work hard to get them back in and working.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 12:14
i'm all for evolution... however when it comes down to it DarkBasic Standard/Enhanced is a different Language to Professional

just because C++ is the evolution of C doesn't mean we stop using C - it would be good to see DarkBasic "Classic" be given a licence deal for another company to keep developing it.

personally i don't think Pro is that much of an evolution because its still keeping to a basic language setup for backward compatibility - when it would've simply taken a month or so longer for a code parser to be setup within the editor to recode DB Standard to DB Pro code upon compile ... i mean Guy already did it with DarkEdit's types - it would be no different for pro just on a grander scale.

I think until the demand dies down for DarkBasic "Classic" it shouldn't be ignored in the name of progress, i mean if Pro has benifited so much from a single object type then wouldn't Standard as well?

Old technology or not, there is still a big customer base for the old product - which would benifit from the enhancements that Professional has seen.

personally i think the inclusion of using Hex and Binary would be a good start, perhaps the typeing data.

see the problem with constant Pro updating and pandering to everyone is that by the time they slow down, Standard and Enhanced will be old technology.

And althought Standard is 4years old, Enhanced is barely a year old!
I'm all for progress, but after patch4 really the new pipeline will be done and with that the setup is really finalised and a decent SDK can be created - leaving Pro in the hands of the community to enhance ... and during that time DBS can concentrating on updating Enhanced to a similar stead.

Yes the power difference is alot bigger, but people will constantly purchase DarkBasic and DarkMatter (Enhanced) over Professional for sometime becuase it is a more stable language + it is about half the price.

well just my thoughts

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 23:15
I agree with Raven Vegeta.
Amazingly enough though, DB Classic still sells very strongly - very strongly indeed. We have many many publishing deals set-up all over the world with it and they all generate sales, quite cool really. DBPro is evolution, simple as that.
If DBClassic still sells very strongly. There are many people who have bought it. If that people look on the DB side all they see is: buy DBpro now(because it's better). And all upgrades they see are for DBPro. It's a bit dissapointing that you buy a product and you see that all upgrades are for the other products. And as Raven Vegeta says, DBClassic is less expensive. So why not have an expensive version AND a unexpensive version, and upgrade both. If DBClassic was hardly sold, I could understand, but now i know it's sold good, so...

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 23:17
And another things: With DBPro you can download plugins(not with DBClassic). So if DBPro gets old, you can keep it and download plugins, that's not with DBClassic. I hope you understand it, my English isn't that good...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 01:24
actually to be quite honest i'd be piss'd off if i got a package which to the everyday joe on the street is relatively new out, just to be pushed to purchase the more expensive version.

somehow that seems poor business practise ... but just might be me

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 11:37
I agree I would have thought that once Pro was released they should have stopped selling DB1 - and sold pro from darkbasic.com . At least now on the site they refer and link to pro, so its a start

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 18:48
Why stop selling DB because Pro is out? That doesn't make a great deal of sense - not everyone needs the extra things Pro brings to the party, if you don't even own a GF3+ card a lot of the cool effects aren't even available to you. That is rather insane business logic.

So why not still update DB? mostly because we don't have the time and mostly because it's gone as far as it's architecture and design will take it. If you want to push it further get the enhancement pack, if you just want faster get Pro.

Cheers,

Rich

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 18:58
If we'd called it DarkBASIC 2003 for example you wouldn't have said that. Microsoft don't retro-actively support their old (5 years+) applications (operating systems, yes, but they don't enhance and add features to old applications - only bug fixes) so really, why should we? Same with Blitz = Blitz 3D = Blitz Max (if ever?).

Why didn't you call it DB2003 then? Now people see a pro version and normal version. People think 'I don't need pro, i'm just an amateur.' But they don't refer a normal version as a OLD version. They just see two different versions.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 19:09
True - maybe we shouldn't have creditted people with the intelligence to be able to read and see the difference for themselves?

Cheers,

Rich

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope and I wish that there would be a final patch.

DarkBasic 1.2

Where the Dark Basic team could finally accomplish what people have been begging for.

but noone knows for sure yet.

Men are Kings... Kings are Rulers... Rulers are 30 cm... Still think you are a man?!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 19:26
Really Professional is a new language, the only reason for the back compatibility is to allow you to port your old projects across.

There are still a good few bugs even in 1.13 suchas the static collision problem with GeForce cards - which piss's me off no end because even my GeForce Fx can't play Kain's 8Towers game, so i have to use a deadly ancient system which just doesn't really have the speed for the pace of the game.

If the language was a true upgrade then i suppose it would be cool if they just left it... but your not adding functionality to an exsiting language it is a whole new breed.

For one the point that the code is now compiled your not extending but rebuilting a language giving it the same front - and although we could extend DarkBasic Enhanced with DLL, unlike Professional we can't access the core code which would allow us to change the important things, suchas data access.

The simple inclusion of atleast Hex and Binary shouldn't beyond the boys ability should it?
We not asking for professionals speed, or even hardly any of the new features like the 3D Mathematics or anything - just fixxes and the ability to use some of the things that really should never of been left out.

I think that DarkBasic should've been given a proper language designation and setup as if this is the last form which will just be updated from here on out.

I dunno, just feel like because Pro is here the Std/Ehd peeps are just gonna be left hanging because DBS don't have the time. Pitty eh

Zooker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 00:20
Raven has some points. I wish they would just bring out a version that cured all the bugs. It would be nice if they could make a version where you don't have use a sync comand in every dam loop!

It took Years to Make Me this Stupid!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 02:30
u have to use a sync command anyway. dont u know how to program in DB?

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 04:27
no you don't... but i'll leave you to figure out why you don't

Element
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 09:53
Think of it like this...it's business. Business is made to grow...if it doesn't grow...then how are they suppose to make a living off of releasing free patches everywhere?

It's the same thing that Macromedia does with DreamWeaver and Flash..but people continue to buy the new things...I went from getting Flash 5...which had an alright interface and actionscript commands...to Flash MX which had a better interface and more actionscript commands....but people dont complain about the new payments of the new versions...I haven't heard of one person complain about it...each version of Flash costs $600+ too.

DarkBASIC Software Ltd. is basically doing the same thing. New interface/environment, new commands and more capabilities that are for the newer gaming hardware/software.

Hey but rich...not everybody will always like the moves you make in a company though eh? I personally think you all are doing good though...especially with the business side of things...keep it up.

"Skateboard 'til the wheels come off"
SG=Shadows Gate
New RPG game coming to you from GP Interactive
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 12:38
But Element, you don't understand. We aren't asking for the abilities and speed from DBPro. We just want to have a version with all the bugs fixed. I understand that you have to buy pro if you want more speed. But for me DBClassic is enough. And i prefer a version withouth bugs

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
dbpro isnt just great special effects it has advanced 2d,3d and data controls as well as alot of more advanced game programming stuff needed to compete with todays market.

bugsquish
Years of Service
User Offline
i got DBC and darkmatter about 6 months ago, and so far had no problems. now the only thing that is bothering me are the built in limitations designed for a 1999pc. im not talking about extra effects or syntax, simply things like:

1) the polygon limit if you try to make a huge matrix (surely less important with view distance and todays computers)
2) newly discovered, it seems that DBC halves the resolution of your prepared matrix texture if it is over a certain size. (i cant find any documentation of this but its the only explanation i have based on trial/error)

surely it would take minutes for the team to make a patch with no upgrades whatsoever, simply removing limitations designed to save the resources of a 1999 computer. i see noone else asking for this but i am sure many would benefit.

incidentally, i downloaded the DBP demo and so far had nothing but grief. DBC fits my needs adequately and if i can find a way round these problems then i can naturally progess to dbp when i am ready. now i wonder... is it possible/legal for users to write their own mods/patches? do any exist already?

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven, I remember my first game I showed off to my friend.

the two things that didn't work on his GeForce 2:
1. Sliding Collision(No collision at all!)
2. No Fog

When I made my code, I didn't even thought of such a bug.

When he tested it, he said i sucked. Firstly, the textures where impossible to see, since the Light intensity was too high, and secondly, he could walk through walls.

That is pretty much it,

but here is another bug:

My DBC randomly exists on my Win2k system without any warning! or sometimes, when I run my code, and go back with F12, it erases everything. It's pretty annoying, since all my ideas get erased.

I think there are still few hard bugs in DBC we would love to have fixed

now, who's with me?

Specs: Dual Amd Athlon 2Ghz(1Ghz x 2), 40GB 15000 Rpm SCSI Hard Drive, 640 Mb 266Mhz DDR, 12x8x32 CDRW, ATI Rage Fury Pro 32Mb SD Video, 17' Monitor
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2003 17:34
I agree with PiratSS, sometimes my code also get erased. Sorry, but so far, BB team is making a better job. All BB users are happy with one stable version of software (BB3D) with almost none ( if any ) bugs. If the BB Max will or not come out not really matter. At least if comes, BB Classic and 3D would be left behind bugs free... diferently of DBC, shame.

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Mictrosoft does indeed continue to make updates and fixes for older versions of software.
My obsolete Windows 98SE still gets current support from Microsoft.

You know that DarkBASIC Software is still SELLING DarkBASIC v1 as new in retail environments.

No new enhancements is OK, but........
it is reprehensible company behaviour not to update the DarkBASIC software to fix the KNOWN bugs.
Absolutely ugly.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2003 04:56
I'm ok with no updates, but you are going to finish debugging db right? I'm happy with the features it has, just want everthing right.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2003 05:22
I still think because of the old system of DarkBasic Standard & Enhanced, this is what is causing most of the bugs ...
personally i think most of the bugs were because the code was worked upon rather than making it all generic, so they tried to code around the congincencies ... and in the end they have bugs for each graphics card.

What DarkBasic Standard/Enhanced really needs is a generic engine system on which we have formats converted into this - so it uses a standard Image format for use, standard Object format for use. I mean hell if you think about it all DarkBasic Standard/Enhanced was, was a program which you scripted - like making a mode for Quake3 ... rather than running directly in machine code the program ran through an overlaying DarkBasic Program.

I still think IF DarkBasicSoftware decide NOT to update the "Classic" version any longer, then the development engine should go up for sale for another company to take over. It might be ageing technology to you, but they're still someone big to those users who have it.

No you can't live off old profits, however DarkBasic as has been noted IS NOT and old profit programs... after 4years it is still selling strong right?
So you're updating a current language, i always said that DarkBasic Professional shouldn't be looked at as an upgrade on Standard and Enhanced, because it isn't - it is a completely different animal. It may look the same, but underneath it is TOTALLY different.

And from a buyers point of veiw they act very differently too ... and althought "Classic" is more stable, it is hardly Blitz stable - nor compatible.

An upgrade would've been extending the features, suchas being able to compile DLLs - adding ASM abilities - structures ... however still based upon the same system.
But you couldn't keep up with the current state of the art technology if you did that!
No one is questioning keeping up, we just want the playing field leveled.

I mean the Enhancements pack was quite sneakily packed upon a CD which had a good set of models and textures - i think that not alot of users understood them, and still don't. However with them you gave us alot of the technology which is in Professional ... with the exception of Types (UDTs) and Multiple Cameras it is essentially the exact same language.
That said you also have added the little things, like Binary and Hex use ... an now the DBO will make a generic object which allows you to specifically develop a pipeline.

As it uses DirectX, why not simply do the same with DarkBasic "Classic" - give the ageing beast a speed boost, the fact that Matrix would no longer be DirectX made and object based would actually speed up the program greatly for alot of users.

Personally i don't care if these updates are free or just another £15 upgrade ... as long as we get them.

Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 14:53
"Microsoft don't retro-actively support their old (5 years+) applications (operating systems, yes, but they don't enhance and add features to old applications - only bug fixes) so really, why should we? Same with Blitz = Blitz 3D = Blitz Max (if ever?)."

Half-Life, look at that, still having thousands upon thousands of updates, bug fixes, and stuff, quite alot of new stuff, yes mainly on the multiplayer side, but updates all the same, Why should we have to buy dbpro when you could create an update for DBC for some xtra commands we might need

Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 14:55
I mean id love bsp support, because im an avid user of WorldCraft but i dont have the time to program massive level editors for my games cause by the time i've done that ive run out of will to start the actual game. But Im not forking out £60 just for that xtra support, you see what i mean??

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 15:11
Half-Life? Not exactly a fair comparison. When you've made SO much money from a single product as they have you would expect a certain degree of support. Come on let's face it - they've shipped millions and millions of copies of it. If we ever get to that stage we'll have developers devoted to nothing but updates too! Until that time we need to focus our efforts and that focus is on DBPro solely.

No-one is forcing you to upgrade, of course we want to make dbpo so enticing over time that you will want to do so, but if we've not managed that yet for you then fair enough - everyone has their own tastes/needs/budgets and we respect that.

Cheers,

Rich

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 19:34
I dont think that any amount of persuasion will work. Rich probably knows best, he is part of the db team after all, not saying that I dont agree with the rest of you, so carry on trying to convince them...

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!
Zooker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 07:04
It is disappointing to say the least! I bought it because it was cheap and I thought I could do the same things in DB as I did in PDS Version 7.1. I knew that DB was touted as a gaming programing language but I did't see why you could't use it for other applications. As it is,it is possible to use but it miss's the mark in a few area's. With a little sincere effort they could make it a usefull language for all types of applications, at least limitedly so! Entry$ and clear entry buffer should of been added a long time back! Please don't beat me up for not being a game programer. To each his own!

It took Years to Make Me this Stupid!
Red Giant 2183
Years of Service
User Offline
well, according to the email I recieved, "dark basic and dark basic pro are two totally differant products and db is due for an upgrade..." and i pointed the upgrade issue out to the team in my email. So , let me be blunt here, IF db is so obsolete....STOP SALING IT , otherwise , be a responsibile company and release a final patch to any known bugs because its not old software, it runs quite fine on win98 machines with smaller processor power. THAT being said, i would like to point out that the so called pro version has more bugs & patches to fix them than it should, [and its still somewhat buggy !! ] so my advice is to use dark basic and deal with the minor bugs as this is much easier than continually downloading a patch for something based on new technology ! the old saying in this case is definatly true that newer IS NOT better, [and in this case newer has some really good bugs ] . My advice to the db team stands- make your old customers happy and finish fixing the program by releasing a final patch. It also makes very good business sense not to abandon your customers because if you get a reputation for doing it with db, then what will keep you from doing this with db-pro [especially when db is still saling on the shelves with minor bugs ]? I personally believe that db-pro isn't an upgrade, but a downgrade , that sacrifices small items in exchange for a slightly faster program. but then again, its a differant program right ? now, do a comparison of the bugs in the 2 programs for yourself guys on an AVERAGE consumer P.C. running win98 as one of the biggest mistakes you can make is testing your programs on a pc that not every1 uses or has access to. so , personally speaking, I'll take db over the pro version any day. Cheers~

RGteam~
freak
Years of Service
User Offline
I also think they actually HAVE to make a final patch for DB. It's just unfair to realease a program that isn't finished. You aren't microsoft...

Red Giant 2183
Years of Service
User Offline
actually , every time they sale one , it will just be one more pissed off customer when they find out the product is unsupported. then the emails with bug reports will keep flying in. after all, [and i quote again] "db-pro is a completly differant program and is not related to db in any way..." but , lets suppose they did use a differant name for it ... even if they changed the name, the origianl product would remain unsupported.... and as someone above said, it doesn't take that much time to remove some of the limitations and fix the minor bugs- I bet it would only take a week to do this at most. isn't getting your bills paid worth a small investment of your time to fix the small bugs ? then you could really say , that you made a product that would work on anything from win98 up ! [dont forget, we the customers help pay your bills - and if you get a bad reputation for not supporting the ones who help you pay those bills, then it wont be long before you feel the crunch in your wallets !! because hey, word gets around fast in this little world right ? just imagine bringing home a new p.c. only to find yourself calling the company that made it and they say --"ooops sorry, we're not supporting that product anymore. we ended support for that product a long time ago!" your first impulse would be to take it back to the store so that it could be returned to the company that made it. that said, I encourage you again db team to LISTEN to your customers, because the customer is usually always right and in this case most definatly right!!

RGteam~
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 13:01
Seeing as no-one has anything different to add to this thread I'll lock it here.

It is possible we'll release a patch in the future, but when (and what it contains) is our decision.

Rich

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-24 19:42:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-24 19:42:35