Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Terrain & Transparent Water Shader with 5.8

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 20:45
All that program says is that my graphics card cannot use hardware shaders, which is total rubbish. My card definitely supports pixel shader 1.4 and 1.1 vertex shaders, just not pixel shader 2.0, which explains why the example doesn't work.

I'm not about to upgrade my GFX card just to support 2.0 as I'm pretty sure I'd need a motherboard upgrade as well to get the latest AGP bus.

I can't stand to wait in line long, so I built a new machine.
It just measures up the distance, and the eliminates the folks between.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2005 23:13
If the program says your card doesn't support Shaders, then it doesn't support them under Dark Basic Professional.

Pretty much as simple as that given, I used DBP to detect them.
There is obviously something wrong with your graphics card if it is failing even the simplist DXCAPS test like what Support it has.

All the code above is:

well there was a bit more to the 'not supported' message heh, but still that is the code. (and you can see to why i was baffled it too up 9MB if we have to include the entire dlls would be nice if they could split each up in to key sections that call a main one to create the d3d instance.)

Given you have a Radeon 9200, you SHOULD have 2.0 support. I'm pretty sure it supports it even if it is emulated, but as the checker has noted your card under DBP doesn't support anything.

So there is something wrong. But I don't think it's DBPs end given it detects each of my cards (even the Radeons) just fine.

Your signature has been erased by a mod. Please resize it to under 600x120. Thanks!
Ken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 04:31 Edited at: 4th May 2005 04:33
There is something wrong with your EXE as when I run your code snippet it reports correctly that I can run shader 1.4, but run your exe and it reports incorrectly.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 08:30
What version of DBP are you running, because seriously you should be getting 2.. I tested the above on my cards and they all come back 2 or 3.

Your signature has been erased by a mod. Please resize it to under 600x120. Thanks!
Ken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 21:17
Running the latest, 5.8. DBPro does report correctly, the specs for my card are PS1.4, something was wrong with your compiled exe.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 21:48
Well so far I've asked 10 different people with different cards to run this and the results they get are what would be expected.

YOUR CARD SHOULD BE TELLING YOU IT CAN HANDLE VS 2.0 PS 2.0

Rather than arguing that this is a problem with my executable, I'd strongly suggest that you check your hardware, update your drivers and question what card you ACTUALLY have in that machine.

Because only the 8500 has VS 1.1 PS 1.4

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 22:42
the 9200 he has only support 1.4 according to the ATI website. I checked the other day.

What he was saying was when the code snippet is compiled from his DBP, it works fine. When he runs the EXE you provided, it reports none.

I suppose its POSSIBLE its an ATI driver bug..

My Website:
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2005 23:12
It might be... I actually got in to a huge argument over this one time.

Given it was basically only me who believed the 9200 was VS1.1/PS1.4, and what seemed like the rest of the forum bitching at me showing ATI documents it was a 2.0 card I gave up.
I've never owned one, and don't plan to ever own one... just remember the pre-release version we had where I used to work only supported 1.4, which wasn't a big deal given I was working with 1.1

might be an ATI bug, but I doubt it.

I compiled it with 5.8, it ran on 10 different computers, with 10 different shader capable cards. Each one reported the correct Pixel Shader value. This would lead me to believe it's an issue with Ken's system rather than a DBP or Executable issue.

If it is a driver bug then what I suggested would help. Still I'm sure through drivers it supports 2.0, still not that I care much.

1.4 is almost 4x faster then 2.0 and should be used for the Geforce FX and Radeons where possible.

Max
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 05:18 Edited at: 25th May 2005 05:20
I liked it... good job...keep it coming..

""
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 16:02
Hi all,

I just wanna say - that i think this water shader is totally awesome.... I have been a way from dark basic pro for a while, seeing whether the grass is greener on the other side(lol) trying torque out and its new shader engine TSE.

I must say, that i was wrong. The performance on this shader totally blows me away, and the shimmer effect on the water is so impressive... i feel that reflections are not needed, as the shimmer gives an effect of reflections on the water to a degree.

This has totally inspired me to come back to db pro 100% and work within the limits and highs of the language.....

Amazing....

Also.. the community here is a lotmore friendly!!!!!
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 03:10
is there any place i can get this? the links seem to be broken

cheers

768 DDR pc3200||ATI 9600xt 256mb||330 GB hard drive||Amd XP 3000+
InDex v2.0[url]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58885&b=8 [/url]
will_ang
Years of Service
User Offline
yep, I second Alkaline's request, I also would like to grab those files too...
Jake Blues
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 23:13
ya, I triple Alkaline's request, I would like to run the demo on my comp too.

BealziBob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2005 00:18 Edited at: 7th Oct 2005 00:56
Wow, resurrected from aeons ago. Ok, I'll see about uploading it again.

Edit: Must have deleted when I got my new PC bah! Never mind I quickly threw it back together (all 5 lines of it) and uploaded it. How's that for service.

Get it Here:
Download

will_ang
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks BealziBob! Great service! lol

White knight
Years of Service
User Offline
this is nice but i liked the clear water shader that was used on here it runs faster than this one. looks almost the same but this don't run too bad on my pc though.The clear one i saw used plain instead of slab.x and it seemed to work faster.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 05:55
Dont bump 2 month old threads >.<

Join Our Forums and get game updates faster!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 21:08:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 21:08:22