Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Crazy Golf Style game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 12:33
For University we have to make a game in DB. We have come up with the idea of a crazy golf style game. It will be a 2d isometric game. How easy will this be to make? as we have never used DB before, cheers!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 14:32
Basically a lot of sprites, a few math commands and a 2d array heightmap of the level, and you're all set.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2003 14:32
but for a first project, it'll be damn hard
freak
Years of Service
User Offline
DB is quite slow using sprites, it doens't sound logically but rendering 3d in realtime is faster in DB... It's even easier I think (there are more commands for 3d than for 2d in DB)

Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 15:01
Question- Am i the only one who uses "PASTE IMAGE" into a second bitmap than sprites? Because im sure my methoed is so much faster! (But admitidly more complicated)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 16:41
its interesting... even for 2D games i never used sprites - i use 3D Plains and an array for the pixel information.

personal preference more, but i enjoy the extra speed.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 17:32
yep, same here, using 3D plains instead of sprites is a definate speed booster, even for my 3D game interface, i use 3D plains.

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 23:50
The main problem is calculating haw the ball is going to bounce.
The way i would do it was to make a circle of points
around your ball,via cos/sin
and check which of of these points are touching a wall. U can use this to work out the angle of the wall, because a tangent will always be at right angles to a line drawn between the centre of the ball
and the point of collision.

Ps a tangent is a line that just clips the side of a circle, and only just touches it.

PSS why isometric? top down or3d would be soooooo much easier (blieve me)

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
trager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 14:19
I have posted some code is the snippets section which models bouncing balls fairly well.

The model is very accurate and probably a little easy to implement than fluffs suggestion.

In my opinion the interesting part would be accurate collision testing at all speeds. But then accuracy is relative and you should ask yourselves how much you really need.

Noob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 15:51
Cheers for your info people, much appreciated, i will have a word with the others about changing the view to an overhead view and will go and check out that code of balls bouncing. I will be back asking some more questions though lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 04:13:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 04:13:42