Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Dark Basic to Blitz3d conversion utilitiy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
While I was searching the net a few days ago, I came across a program that said it could convert dark basic code to a blitz3d code. At first, I thought this was impossible, but I learned quite diferrently. This program actually works. I do not know how, but any program I make in dark basic, I can convert it to a blitz3d program in 10 seconds or less with the program. Whats more, the program is free!!!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 19:35
And where do you get this program?

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 22:24
Sounds spam for me

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
john619
Years of Service
User Offline
It is not spam. You can get the program free right here.

http://www.si-design.co.uk/blitz3d/dba2bb/

You should feel pretty stupid now Megaman X.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 01:26
U know... I actually do, feel really stupid Sorry buddy, I thought it was spam cuz u posted no links Really sorry and great link Thanks

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 01:28
Maybe from now on... Those languages can live coexist in harmony I doubt some matrix commands would work in BB though, but it's great stuff indeedly

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
freak
Years of Service
User Offline
what's blitz3d and what are the differences between the two languages?

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 01:38
if this tool is good, is there a blitz to db one out there?

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net/ r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: 1.2ghz athlon, 384mb ram, geforce 2 mx 400 (32mb),win2k
john619
Years of Service
User Offline
I am sorry to say this but Blitz3d is about 3 times better than Dark Basic. I say this mainly because of the speed of the engine. Blitz3d is about 3 times as fast as Dark Basic. It has way way more commands than dark basic. The graphics look way way better than Dark Basic. The graphics in Blitz3d look similar to that of Dreamcast and
Playstation 2. Just download the demo, and look at some of the demo programs. The only downside if any about blitz3d is the language is a little harder to learn than Dark Basic. This is why sometimes I use Dark Basic instead of Blitz3d. By the way, on every servy on game creation programs, blitz3d came out with a score of about 9.6 out
of 10 while Dark Basic came out with a score of about 7.5.
Try it

john619
Years of Service
User Offline
It is unlikely that there is a Blitz3d to Dark Basic converision utility. The reason is that blitz3d has many many many more features that Dark Basic lacks. Thus, it cannot convert to Dark Basic.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 02:12
Well, I agree that BlitzBasic is far better then DB1, but not then DBpro. This great tool that john619 provided us here works greatly. However, it only converts from DB Ver 1.08 to BlitzBasic 1.77.

I tried to convert other demos from DB1 to BB and, with exception of "CaveRun Demo"... I had no sucess.
Anyhow, this is a powerful tool if I can get it to work. I can use the super easy to use DB language and it's powerful Matrix commands and kick ar*** with BlitzBasic easy to use and fast collision systems... in other words... all I always wanted

If I'd you guys, I would download BlitzBasic Demo and try it out urself. I dunnot what the creators of those wonderful programming languages may think about this new toy on the net, but I believe many users will get happy with this . Let's hope in the future someone makes a BlitzBASIC to DarkBASIC pro hehe

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 02:38
For those who does not have BlitzBASIC, here is a compiled Cave Run Demo from both engines, DarkBASIC 1.13 and BlitzBASIC 1.77. I must say that... in my machine ( Pentium 4, 2GHZ, Geforce 4) the diferences between them are near none... I cannot let this link be active for a long time. ( a couple of hours only ). If someone has web space and can redirect it would be very appreciated

[url]www.alexrogue.hpg.com.br/CaveRundba.rar[/ulr]

It's about 1 mega with both executables + files in .rar.
enjoy it

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 02:39
[url]www.alexrogue.hpg.com.br/CaveRundba.rar[/url]

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 02:40
************** forum

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 02:42
Try: http://www.alexrogue.hpg.com.br/CaveRundba.rar

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 02:43
Thanks Rich U rock

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 02:48
Maybe it's just my eyes and ears which started to be a bit tired But looks like DarkBasic has a sligly smoother engine/renderer and the sound quality in my Sound Blaster Audigy is also clearer with DarkBASIC....

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 04:54
OK, lets not make this is a flamewar of Blitz vs Dark basic guys

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 05:10
Great little utility but i have no use for it and now DBP is here with upcoming better technology than bothe db and blitz i dont see the point.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 11:37
RPGamer

No no RPGamer, this is far from starting a Flamebait. It just actually shows that those engines are far closer each other ( not DBpro ). Many peoples think BB is far superior, even I thought so but... the demo proves wrong, they are very close I guess

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
freak
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm I don't see much difference between the two versions of the caverun demo... maybe the mesh edges are a bit more anti-aliased in blitz3d but I'm not sure, could be just my imagination

should be handy if it were possible to see the framerate in both versions

anyway, I like DB and I don't feel I'm lacking something... hmm maybe faster real-time sprite movements, but that should be solved in DBpro (I have pro already but didn't start because I'm still busy with my cards game project

The graphics in Blitz3d look similar to that of Dreamcast and
Playstation 2

the graphics of playstation 2 aren't very good (I don't have one my own but I saw it from a friend): I played gta3 on my tv using the video-out on my video card and with all settings at the lowest quality (including screen res 640*480) it looked just like on a PS2
that's because a tv screen doesn't display very much pixels, but these get antialiased automaticly

john619
Years of Service
User Offline
People want to know the truth about game programming languages, so I must say that a good thing about Blitz3d
(NOT Blitz Basic) is that really huge games, that includes many many polygons, run smoothly, very smoothly. Dark Basic is cool, because it is so damn easy to use. So I think this tool is a good tool. It is possible to write a blitz3d to Dark Basic pro conversion utility.

Juso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 13:14
Link dont work anymore, so where is the stuff today?
Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 16:34
I did not try it myself, but seems like a great idea. Take DarkBasic and type the following code:

This code is from the tutorial in the main page that I've just found out exist, but I added the print screen command on it. Change the code a little to, instead of five... to 200-300 objects. 200 Objects with Collision detection in DB will run like shit. Don't tell me u can optimize it.
Now, even with 300 objects, take away the lines with check for collisions, u will see the frame rate at maximum again. This is cuz DB is really slow with collision check in every loop, but not with objects. The collisions system is buggy, sorry. This problem does not happens with BB...
If u do sliding collisions and set collision to poly... well.... no comments, this tool is great if it works and it's good for both BB and DB teams

Watashi wa Eletronic Arts de shigoto o shimasu!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 17:26
This is a great tool, mad kudos 2 whoever made such a beast I agree that DB and BB are very close, but BB has the edge as far as I'm concerned. BUT Now I use DBPro and haven't looked back

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
KovaSteel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 12:05
I think Blitz3d is more complicated to use than Darkbasic or DB Pro.Anyone know something about that?

Current Game::Final Fantasy Unleashed
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 12:56
Nah, it's not more complicated, it's just a matter to get used to it. There're plenty of tuts on the net too as blitzcoder. U could download the demo and try it out

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 20:03
=P I like em both... but blitz3D is more like C++...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 21:27
FYI this tool was releasehed by SI about a fortnight after Blitz3D was releashed and I don't think it has been worked on since, as far as I remember while it made completely compatible code it became quickly apparent that the code it produced wasn't the best way of achieving things in BB.

Dazzy
DB IRC Chat irc.hashnet.org port 6667 #darkbasic

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 14:50:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 14:50:00