Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Cure for small pox

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 09:13
I'm sure many of you have seen something for Grid.Org... It is sort of like SETI@home except with the cure for smallpox. So you can set this up as your screensaver and it will download a protein to scan to see if it is possible or not then sends whichever protein it was to the US defense department who does further research on the protein.

you can get it here:
[href]www.Grid.org[/href]
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 09:13
-_- let me try that again...
[href]www.Grid.org[/href]

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 10:36
Thought smallpox had all but been wiped out...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 11:42
Everyone was just innoculated a while back. Smallpox could be used as a biological weapon by terrorists. A cure would go a long way to remove this threat.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 12:47
True everyone was innoculated a while back, but not recently. I am not immune to it, but my grand-parents would be (or even my great grand parents). So either wide sprea innocluation or a cure is needed

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 13:08
Isnt the small pox vaccination meant to "wear off" after a period of years? if so i doubt many people will be immune right now, other than soldiers in the gulf.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 13:29
hummm, i dunno, but i am not a biologist...

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 13:52
Just incase people are wondering why the href tag didn't work, it's because you need http:// at the start of the address. This is because href needs to know what it's dealing with (it can support http, ftp, etc).

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 16:38
the vacinations don't exactly wear off ... but its good to get a booster to make sure your immune system is always upto date.

generally your suppose to grab a booster every like 5years with your general checkup
i've been innoculated against god knows what around 3times thanks to these stupid health plans i'm on. Some of the nurses i swear don't even look when they jab you they close thier eyes and hope.

Small pox is only in the dangerous virus research labs now, infact if i remember right its only in US ... but then again personally i'd be more worried if someone dropped a Cyanide bomb, 30seconds until your arterties go pop ... or a few weeks in bed with a chance to live.
Hmmm which would you be more scared of?

especially considering Cyanide or Mustard Gas and alike can be reproduced in a lab - last time i knew they couldn't achieve that with virus's yet.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:18
generally your suppose to grab a booster every like 5years with your general checkup
i've been innoculated against god knows what around 3times thanks to these stupid health plans i'm on. Some of the nurses i swear don't even look when they jab you they close thier eyes and hope.

Don't forget that you travel between the US and England constantly... o_O you have to have your shots up to date for the passport.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 22:13
no i know... ack on like me third passport within a year, i hate travelling

but even still i'm pretty sure the UK standard is about 5years for a booster shot, cause its around the same time that women need thier "checkups" done

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 23:59
Mmmmoki ... i'm wondering has everyone gone insane recently or is it just a select few :?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 01:21
Yeh o_O everyones gone a lil crazy... O_O must be the whole Bush vs. N. Koria & Iraq & Pakistan...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 23:57:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 23:57:14