Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How to Increase your fps incredible amounts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 20:08
A post to tell people ideas of increasing fps rates. Help others to help you, or something...

1) Ok, obvious one... use low poly models
2) Another obvious one... decrease the camera range with the set camera range command
3) Use static objects for levels. I did and my fps rate doubled
4) Use the sync on command, and then sync rate 0

Any other ideas? (PS: Saying: "Buy an amazing PC." doesn't count)
Howling Mad Murdoch, at your service.
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 20:37
Sync on and sync rate 0 is definitly not good. U have to set ur game to run at one speed you want, limit it's speed. Let's say that u have done an RPG and 30 fps is enough ( RPG's are fine with 30 fps ) So then, u have to set sync rate to 30. If u don't do it and let it be zero ( which means machine capabilities), it can run stupidly fast in some machines and the game will turns out unplayable.

Most games runs at 40-50. Somes FPS at 60. Setting at sync rate 0 then, no good idea

Other thing to speed up is... in the case of DBC, use small textures, DB is slow with high textures. In DBpro, u have to plan b4 the game if ur level is going to have too many objects

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 20:44
Here's one:

Use a textured box and turn the backdrop off, this stops DB having to clear the screen before drawing.

Van-B
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:11
"If u don't do it and let it be zero ( which means machine capabilities), it can run stupidly fast in some machines and the game will turns out unplayable."

To solve that you have to change your equations a little:
e.g. with sync rate 30
x#=x#+10
but with sync rate 0
a#=screen fps()
x#=x#+300/a#
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:14
You guys haven't forgotten fastsync have you!?!?

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:16
@megaman

The objects problem is fixed in Patch 4. With lots of objects on screen (eg: 1000) you get a respectable framerate (eg 30 instead of 1)

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:19
Another thing you can do to improve framerates is to do processor intensive things on alternate frames if you can get away with it. Suppose you have two processor intensive tasks which you don't absolutely have to do each frame but must be done often, do them in alternate frames to spread the load.

Eg:

Frame 1:
- Task A
Frame 2:
- Task B
Frame 3:
- Task A

instead of

Frame 1:
- Task A
- Task B
Frame 2:
- Task A
- Task B

Hide as much stuff as you can get away with as well.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:19
^_^ I can't wait for that patch =P.

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 22:48
I have it - and believe me - you'll be glad that you waited until they fixed the bugs (Although for the first time ever Lee promised that something (the early beta patch) would have quite a few)

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 00:17
Hi Megaman You are right that setting the sync rate to zero would make games runs at crazy speeds, but locking the fps at 30 isn't the best way to do it. If you use the sync rate 0 command to run at full speed on your pc, but don't sync once every loop, but instead sync 30 times a second by using the timer() command, your game will be super smooth and run the sam on all pcs My current project has the sync rate set at zero, gets 500+fps on my best pc, 50 on my worst. However it runs at the same speed! The increased fps adds smmothness but the speed of gameplay is the same To see how I do it, look at my sonic code in the "2d sprite bug rich" thread in 2d Or IanM and Raven and I'm sure some others have similar ways too If u want any help with this, u can email me my friend, its really worth doing!

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 00:35
Hey I just noticed theres a thread with at least 3 different methods for doing what I just said "Full Duplication" on the DBPro board Cheers

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 01:40
Hi Kangaroo2 Thanks man for the message . I'm coding a little with DB again after a long time using BB so I'm having many problems :S. I will e-mail u soon again my friend with a couple of questions about it and other things if u don't mind .
Thanks for the e-mail as well. Hope everything is fine with you and don't forget to present me to Bunni hehehe, J/k

From MMX

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 02:58
NP man, look forward to hearing from you. And don't worry I'll put in a good word with Bunni

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 03:10
O_O kangaroo2 she browses the forums also...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 17:10:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 17:10:54