Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Using DarkMatter Media

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 20:46
OK, so I bought darkmatter with my own money. If I want to use the media in a game then I have to put the file into a folder. If I give this folder to other people, they will also have the darkmatter file, without paying for it. What's up with this?
Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:11
Yah, so, they'll have that DarkMatter file.

P.S. If you make a game including all of the animations and character models..... I'll give you a cookie! And I'll give you double the amount of cookies if the game is for ME and ME only!!

AlamDV, NHL, NHL 2K3....... The best combination ever!
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 21:55
I won Dark Matter with my ace coding skills, but I generally don't use every Dark Matter object in my games. Plus I usually change the textures, and do my own animations. In DBPro you can encrypt the attached media, but I don't know how easy this would be in DB. Maybe if you included some extra data in your media, then only read the parts of the file you needed in the program? Any other editing software would read your in-built copy protection data and come out with something different.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
In DB i think theres a MAKE FINAL EXE option it should put ALL of the media (images,models and includes files) into the EXE

[br]mikey
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 00:37
No that is not true. All files (images, 3d files) need to be placed in the folder which has all your stuff in it that will be in your game. You get your final exe, ect, and then you make the folder will all your media (images, 3d files, animations), the exe and a readme or whatever else you include in it, a .zip file. Then when people extract the .zip file, all of the files you used in your game will be avaliable for the other person to use.

AlamDV, NHL, NHL 2K3....... The best combination ever!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 16:06
Sorry DarkJedi07 but the guy was absolutely right. In DB there is a "Make Final" option (F7) which will build the EXE and then stick all the media that you load during your game into it. This single EXE can be copied on its own and given to people and it'll work just fine without the need for the media files too.

In DBPro there is a similar option but it's on the Project Settings dialogue instead.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 22:17
I wasnt really wondering about me paying and other people getting them for free (I know it sounded like I was) but more what the people from DM who have their product being freely distributed throughout the net. I suppose that there isnt really any other way to do it and they still are making money as it would be hard to get all the media from the net.

Thanks for the replies.

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 22:19
K, sorry.. I didnt know, rich.. I didnt have DB so I didnt know but from the demo I didnt think there was one. Im so sorry...

Current Project: Dark Wars
130 lines of code so far
http://hometown.aol.com/Hockeycow07/rebel.html - The official ReBel Games website!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 03:45
DarkJedi - No worries, you don't have to apologise! Just didn't want anyone thinking that feature wasn't available because it's quite an important one (I'm sure it's in the demo too btw).

Hamish - if you use "Make Final" like people have said, the objects will be bound into your EXE and you won't be giving them away free - that we can't really argue with now can we?

Cheers,

Rich

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 06:11
True the Make EXE function copies all of the media files into the exe but TheDarthster had a good point about writing your own encryption because there are many programs that can rip media out of exes.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 06:13
There are just as many that can rip media out of memory too - no encryption can stop ripping by the determined IMHO. Still, good luck!

Cheers,

Rich

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 15:49:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 15:49:27