Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Lua scripting in DBPro - make your game moddable, scriptable, expandable

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 19:55
that question for David T

AMD 2,4 512MB RAM,2x200GB hdd,GforceFX5700GT128MB
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 01:50
Although I haven't made my presence known in this thread beforehand, I am also watching DavidT's work on the Lua plugin with great interest. I'm going to get to the point where I need a good scripting engine to play with in the next few months. There is an amazing number of scripting engines being written by the community but I'm keen to try DavidT's out.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 03:40
Davids and Torreys is on my list, They both appear to have what I would like to use.

DARK IDE RETURNS - Yes Dark IDE is still a go!!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 22:44
Sorry for the lack of updates guys!

It's finished. Got some very cool demos done. Mouse has also been messing around with it, and seems pleased ().

I'm really pleased with what is the culmination of almost 5 months work - it runs lightning fast, is really easy to use, has loads of possible uses and fits is very well with the DBPro style of things (the new functions are quite natural to use - unlike some TPCs I use where things seem a little disjointed). A few weeks ago I also added a neat way to iterate arrays from within DBPro, which is cool.

Unfortunately, no demo at this point. Plugins of this nature are best showcased when you can actually code with them - simply a demo of something walking towards you is no fun at all.

However. I have been tinkering around a bit making a short DBPro app for Maths work - this uses Lua's expression solver to draw a graph of a function given...

Obviously you can't test it, but it gives you an idea how easy it is to use (with or without an actual script to load)

Just finishing writing documentation now (all 10,000 words of it) and exporting a few more DBPro functions to scripts.

"A book. If u know something why cant u make a kool game or prog.
come on now. A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes"
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 23:59
I eagerly await the official release.

RiiDii: "I highly recommend Philip's vector tutorials"
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 14:51 Edited at: 30th Oct 2005 14:52
Me to, i can't wait to use this! (tries to copy the bears smiley but fails miserably)

"We make the worst games in the universe."

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 19:04
Can you guys wait 24 days?

Actually - I may be able to release it a bit sooner. We'll see hwo things go.

Philip - check your email.

come on now. A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes"
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 22:54
Quote: "24 days"

*dies*

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 17:50
Mmm, as a beta'er I can confirm that this is quite the fantastic plugin. I've been working on a few things with lua, including enemy AI (in very primitive stages), an NPC dialogue system, and simpler scripts such as torches that light up during nighttime or elevators that are activated when the player steps on them.

It's handy to have things like the elevator outside of your excecutable so that you can, for example, tweak its speed, but it's necessary to have the dialogue external; it's pretty inconcievable to recompile every time I fix a grammatical error or even add a new NPC. And the lua scripts are great as opposed to something like a stored array of dialogue information because there's limitless flexibility with what can go on behind the scenes. You could make some NPCs not want to talk to the player if he's affiliated with others, for example, or make all kinds of complex missions for the player without touching the source code.

That's just the use I've been putting lua to of course - there are loads of other things one could do with it. For those interested in an example of how well it works I'll upload an excecutable a little later that showcases some of my (less than professional quality ) scripts, and of course anyone can modify them however they want and see the changes when you run the excecutable.

Blog is death. How? NO idea. But is murder. REVENGE!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 19:54
Sweet, i can't wait until it's released

Maleck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 08:19
Awsome! I, too, cannot wait for a release. THanks for all the hard work you put into this.

@Ian T,
I would be interested in seeing the scripts when you get a chance.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 20:46 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2005 20:47
This is one from an RPG sample I've made for the plugin. It defines all the behaviours for an entity labelled "Bob".

Ignore all the functions towards the end, for level loading. All they do is send hte relevant bits to DBPro so it can load the 3d models, etc. Then each loop DBPro invokes Bob_Tick() to update everything.

If I was smarter , and had more time, I'd OOP-ify all this so when loading a level you'd just write

Bob = new EntityBob(0.0,10.0,0.0,"Hello!")

instead of the current level data file which is

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 17:47
This would be a really cool way to get newbies or younger children into coding. You could write an engine, and let them change it's behaviour through scripting.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2005 21:43
Nice!!!!! I know you've been working on this for ages. Its going to be GREAT!!!!!! I cant wait!!!!

SSDD
Same Sh** Different Day
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 23:06
Mike even mentioned this plugin as part of his presentation at the Convention. Its receiving lots of attention.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 23:29
I can't wait. November 22th, come here ... so i can test LUA script plugin

Skalex Production |Website Coming Soon| ChaosZone
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 23:57
Quote: "Mike even mentioned this plugin as part of his presentation at the Convention. Its receiving lots of attention. "

Brilliant - from whom if I may ask?

You had a go yet, Phil? (no worries if you haven't, just interested )

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 20:16
Quote: "Brilliant - from whom if I may ask?"

Lots of REALLY important people, such as the people at the Con for example. And Mike.

I haven't looked at it yet. No time. I've only just finished a trial so work has been manic. But I'm looking forward to looking at it shortly.

Philip

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 22:37
No problem Philip. Did you win?

Thsi weekend is the big it up weekend. Where I write loads of blurb bigging the product up for a web site. Get that sent to Rich by sunday night, hopefully all go for the November newsletter

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 14:05
WOOOWWW LUA I ALWaYS WANTED LUA IN THE DBPRO ^^ I used lua first time in hl2 garrys mod now in dbpro wow... I can use this in my second game i wish so ^^

Goto the http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68828&b=8 to see latest news on my game..
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2006 21:50
Sorry to bump, just noticed the reply. In case you haven't noticed (how couldn't you? ) my plugin has been released under the name Unity. See my sig image.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 06:53:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 06:53:49