Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / cell shading???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 01:12
How can I cell shade/cartoon shade my models? I am only using DB-Classic v1.13 so I don't have the luxury of using code to enable cell shading. I was wondering if there was a modeling program that allowed cell shading to be accomplished.
If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 04:38
what modeller program do you have?

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 05:39
I have Anim8or, Max3, Max5, Poser, Rhino 2, Maya, Lightwave, Bryce 5(for terrain), JTEdit, 3D Canvas, and TrueSpace 5. But I am really only good with Rhino, which I doesn't support textures to well since it is only NURBS modelling. I use Max for animating, Bryce for terrains, and Lightwave for a more realistic scene in an avi.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 14:36
woho...Budget...or soon to be broke lol!

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 19:07
Unless you want to approximate it with clever tricks, you need DBpro and a recent high-end graphics card like a GeForce 4 Ti (not MX) to do cel shading.

Even then, I haven't seen any DBP examples that actually put a proper black outline around the edges.

The tricky DB classic solutions involved making a slightly-larger inside-out model textured black on the inside that surrounds the main model like a shell. You see through the invisible outer layer, so the shell's visible black inside surface appears as a black edge around the totally visible inner main model.

Surrealist writing toy -- http://www.iconpoet.com
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 21:31
theres this article also

http://www.planetquake.com/gg/tutorial/toon/

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 22:21
holy crap its piraters like you that make the cost of programs so high
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 23:47
would be my first reaction ... there are 2 main ways to achieve it in classic, one way is how Steve said -

Copy the object, scale -101, colour black, turn off ambience

2nd way is damn'd tricky but performs a greater effect

it involves rendering the elements of the scene to the screen on a background that is least likely to be used (pink/blue/green) ... you then make this as you're transparency colour - now you take the backbuffer points from that instance from the backbuffer ptr (which is setup like an image memblock)
then you find where the colour is NOT your transparency and array this information real quick, then you do n edge sort finding what colours are next to the transparency ... final step is to then colour the pixels in the array within Nth pixels from the found edges in the array. Once this is done for each object you want shaded in this mannor its a case of the writing this information to the backbuffer within a DLL

its probably best to setup the calculatio data within a DLL to calculate because it'll be quicker (^_^)

thought i have a feelin' i know which way you'd choose, there might be another ... but i think those are the only 2

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 00:29
What do you mean, "pirates"? I bought Rhino with my own damn money, I got Max 3 & 5 and Lightwave from my computer animation teacher. I got Bryce 5 from a promotional contest at the gaming store in my town, and I don't 'own' Maya or TS but my friend does an he lets me use them. Poser and 3D Canvas are trial versions and anim8or and JTEdit are freeware, thank you very much. Now QuothTheRaven, I hope you feel bad. And for your information, its the quality that makes the prices so high. Rhino is an eighth (to my understanding) the price of Max. And it shows. Rhino isn't even able to render an object and display textures.

Anyway, I tried your method(s) Raven and Steverino. However, it runs very slow. My game runs at about 27 FPS on my computer (300 MHz, I know its sad). When I did the shding techniques, it ran at 11. Does DBPro's function cause this to happen? On the version of my game that I compiled with DBP before the 30 days ran out, it ran at 175 FPS on a 900 MHz school computer. I think I might buy DBPro.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 00:39
Wha!?You already tried Raven's trick? O_o

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 01:01
well Pro naturally runs faster... but you should remember to do loop operations several times before syncing.

because the game should run at max speed so you place you're sync within a timed operation area, this allows your loops to go far quicker because it doesn't have to rerender everything per loop.
pitty you don't have a data sync and a 3D sync within db... and a data sync in pro would be fantastic.
update data only - but i guess thats generally what the loops does

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 01:49
Data sync? Is this utilized in C++? I've never heard of it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 03:13
no not utilised in C++ ... it just when you invoke the Sync command it makes sure everything in the loop is upto date and rendered.

FastSync in Pro does this purely for the 3D - just wish there was a way to only invoke it for the data, that was you could run data at the loop speeds and run the 3D at the FPS speed. would make things alot quicker if DB didn't have to worry about the 3D

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 03:03
Ok, I think I understand. Well, thanks again Raven.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 03:22
You have some rather fortunate connections

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 08:09
Fortunately I do. I am the poor white guy in my town(don't think I'm racist, I hate racism). And fortunately I have intelligence to make up for that. Not to brag, but last December I got a 1520 on my SATs. Do any of you people in the UK have to SATs or ACTs or any kind of standardized testing for college/university entrance?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 15:35
nope our SATs are before we take our GCSEs
can't remember what i got, was like 13 at the time - which was the first major year of them wasn't it but i can't remember. I know they were introduced somwhere around '92-'94

we get into college's based on GCSE grades and Uni's based on A-Level grades (or rather the AS-Level, stupid new ciriculums) which you take for the 2years after your GCSEs

the whole school system after GCSE/SAT's for the UK and US going in completely different directions - i mean stateside your basically taking on higher education but in a highschool style set ammount of subjects, your freshman years remind me alot of our GCSEs ... not just in setup style but also educational level. Once you hit the Minor and Major Degree's is when it starts getting on par with the UK educational system.

problem here isn't the fact that people arn't intelligent enough but its just far too expensive
recently had 2 friends drop out of Uni cause they just can't afford it and goto classes... just sucks.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 19:25
I got a 25 in math and scientific reasoning on my ACTs. At the time it's was 76% at or above national level. So why did I almost flunk Agewlbra II? Never got the chance to take higher math, wish I didn't sleep so much in class.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 20:10
lmao... hito that makes no sense to me at all
personally i hate the way that the SATs are an adverage score for all the tests you take, meaning that if you're fantastic at math - but useless at english, your english will yank down your grade so badly meaning that unless you get accepted on prior merits you can't continue in a college to enhance your maths to a better degree - add to that you start at a quite embarassingly low level of it

the system really does confuse the hell outta me and make me wonder how people can actually come out of that kinda schooling system with decent grades. It's kinda sick that you are give GPA's rather than each subject treated individually... because there are several course you have to take just to make up the numbers and you know you'll be leaving them behind in 2years time - but you have to do well in them to keep up your adverage.

very very weird way around things

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 03:01
I only wish we weren't graded on our abilities to copy answers from a damn book. I mean, I know homework is meant to encourage us to study so that we can actually learn the material, but it is damn stupid to have 35% of your grade relying on to crap you copy from a book and then call homework. I personally never do homework, I'm to busy doing other things. Unfortunately, my grades show it. I can consecutively score the highest score on every test I take and still get one of the lowest grades in the class. I just think it's completely unfair.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 04:56
i don't remember an aweful lot of our homework being about simply copying, infact i don't remember any of it being such ... you'd have to figure out the answer's - cept with the languages, you just really copied in them.
were never taught them properly though, its kinda listen, repeat and somehow you magically learn it ... unless you felt like sitting down and taking from the book howto use the words you learnt in a sentance you'd never get a good grade, which is senseless as thats what your in school for to learn howto do this - not to be taught keywords.

about the only gripe i've had with the education methods over the years thou

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 07:49
Accully Raven I got 24 in English and a 23 in reading, lol.

Large_nostril, if you think our tests are bad, try Japanese college entrance exams. It's litterally coping the text books. They ask questions like how long the Amazon river is in feet or the acesteral line of the current emporier.

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 10:32
Arrow; holy crap, I'm glad I don't Japan. See what I learn from these forums, I never new that before. That's more than what I learned in school today. Oh wait, it's Saturday. Didn't notice it, all I did today was sleep, I was just like school. But seriously, it's not fair. I have the highest test scores from my school in SATs, S.A.T. 9 (last 2 years), and the most AP classes (if any of you from the UK don't know what an AP class is, it stands for Advanced Placement and is supposed to be for the elite students of the school). Yet I'm the one from my school who might not get into a reputable college/university because of my damn GPA. I have a GPA of 2.89, while the dumn crap that sits accross the room from has a 3.688. What the heck is up with that. I guess it is in part my fault for wanting to do other things in life instead of study (if that justifies it).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 15:56
Hito i have no idea what a 24 and a 23 mean even slightly.
the UK grades are done on a simple scale,
0-100%

< 35% = U or Ungraded
36% - 50% = F or Failed
51% - 65% = E
66% - 75% = D
76% - 85% = C
86% - 95% = B
95% - 98% = A
98% < = A*

i'm pretty sure thats the current setup ... ofcourse you have all the +/- grades too, but really you're only suppose to count the major grade. And anything under a C really isn't worth the paper its written on.

the college grades are far simpler with
U - E = Fail
D - C = Pass
B = Merit
A & A* = Distinction

the uni's have a similar system to that

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 19:45
I was talking about the ACT scores. My GPA is 2.59, so my ACT scores kinda balance it out.

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 20:21
What Arrow is talking about for the 24-23 is actually the score he got. In America, ACTs scores are out of a total of 36 points. So that means that Arrow got a . And our grading scale is relatively the same, but a little more harsh.

90-100% : A
80-89% : B
70-79% : C
60-69% : D (but colleges don't accept this)
below 60% is an F (which doesn't make much sense A,B,C,D,F ?) and all highschools consider this failing and no credit is granted

In the UK, are you required to take certain corses like 4 years of English, 3 years of math, etc. I know that in some of the European countries they have their students choose a major at an early age and those are the class they focus on. Say I wanted to become a biochemist (which I do) I would only take biology and chemistry related courses and not have to waist time with stupid English courses. To me, I consider myself fluent enough in English to engage in an intelligent conversation with most anyone and I'd rather never take another English course. When I say English I mean American-English not British-English. Is it true that in the UK, a "diaper" is what you wipe your face with at a meal. I heard this from my 6th grade teacher and always wondered if it was true. In America, a diaper goes around the smelly end of a baby. (Please don't take this as an insult, I merely heard this from my teacher and doubted it but I was still curious).
Sorry for ranting so much.

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 20:23
Sorry, So that means that Arrow got a 64%-67%.

fatbiffa
Years of Service
User Offline
has anyone got cel shading working yet?

heart of gold, nerves of steel, nob of butter
sicjoshsic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 20:02
you can get a reasonable cel-shading effect using anim8or. there's a tutorial here:
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=10099&b=10

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 20:15
This what you want? (made in DBC).

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=9840&b=8

Not hard to make and can be quite fast. The only problem is that it does not change because a different lighting.

Kevil

fatbiffa
Years of Service
User Offline
KEVIL - I was just wondering how you're drawing the cel-shading.
Are you using BDPro's own cel-shading code?

SICJOSHIC - that techique looks good, but obviously doubles your poly count.

sicjoshsic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 21:03
true, bu theoretically you could make the detail a lot simpler anyway, with it being cartoon style and all, and reduce the poly count

im sure some more advanced users will figure out some way of making it work better eventually

kevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2003 22:00
Well, you can't make the outline in DBC without doubling the polys, at least not easily.(I'm sure there are some ways). My cell shading was not done with DBPro cartoon shading, but with simple texturing and using a second object to create the outline.

Kevil

fatbiffa
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks anyways, I'd been trying to work out the CARTOON SHADING ON
option in DBPro but with no success - I've simplified a few characters
and outlined them with black using the second-mesh-flipped-normals technique and it does look good.

cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 15:25:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 15:25:40