Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 17:51
Yeh hello i want to make an RPG but i am stuck i dont know where to start i want to know how to add NPC to my games thanx in advance (@)
KITTY
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 18:04
An RPG is a big project. You have to have a storyline, lots of designs, and preferably some media you can use in the game. If you have all that, you first create a basic rpg engine, i.e waling around, ability to talk to ppl and battle system. Then as you start designing the worlds you add more and more interactivity.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 18:08
hey i can help u there.. I find that most of the useful tutorials for rpgs were written in the qbasic language.. They need to be adjusted of course because darkbasic is a bit different, but the basics of rpg making is the same no matter the language

http://berzniz.zext.net/tutorials.html
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 18:10
I think I answered this EXACT same question a few posts down or in the Newcomers Corner....

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 18:18
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=5897&b=7
Right there

RPGamer

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 22:16
Or if you dont want to clickith the linkith just read on......................

OK, the first thing you want to do is plan out EVERYTHING you want to do in this game. Open up a wordpad and START TYPING!!!

See how you want the game to feel, graphics and play wise. Explore what kind of features you want the game to have, and how you would go about coding them.

Draw up some flow charts, plan your time! Decide what you are going to do first (not characters, just use blocks at first) and then go from there.

Next, your probably going to need a team. So, post up here (please have some evidence showing your progress, documents and screenshots are nice ) And get ready!

Code a BASE GAME, with crappy everthing. Just make it so you can go from point a to point be in the game, without all those pretty textures to look at

After this is accomplished, begin increasing the games performance. Yank out those cubes and pop in some real characters! Use textures this time! Make that menu system pretty!

Go over your game multiple times, each time adding more and more detail, watch that frame rate though!

Once you have gone over everything, you are going to have to finalize it. Have as many people as you can play the game thoroughly, checking for bugs. TRY TO FIND BUGS FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD! Much better you finding a bug, then someone who actually bought the game

Once you are sure your game is perfect (or as close as its gonna get) go out and find some advertisement. A few people here have sponsors who pay you for advertising for your game, or maybe, help fund for a commmericial.

You have this great product, dont stick it on your www.myname.subdomain.companyname.biz website! YOU NEED TO TRY!! Dont let that hard work go down the crapper! Advertise! Make people know there is this great game out there!

Now the fun part Let the game hit the market and roll in the dough baby! Have fun!

Now, this is a long process, and I probably left some parts out. A lot of people dont really scan their game over, which is why it sucks. They try and make everything great at once. Try something like this, and you will have a lot more fun programming, especially if you make money out of this

Now, this is no short process. I wouldnt be suprised if this took you 5 years, but it would all be worth it if you got a good profit, and had a bunch of fun doing it

I hope this helps you!

Regards,
RPGamer

Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 16:14
hi thanx for the info i have so far got a battle systen and a menu already done.I stayed up all weekend for the battle system add it is almost finished just a few adjustments i am hoping to put a tutorial to help newbies who need help with battle system if i can perfect my one.

KITTY

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 13:04:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 13:04:44