Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / DarkBASIC Enhanced Audio Plugin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 00:41
Quote: "i posted this here because it's mainly an issue with EAP.
can someone look this over and let me know what i'm doing wrong.
note: am using BLUEGUI"

Does it give you an error message from EAP? I threw in quite a bit of error protection. What happens when your code is ran?

Check out my site!
sizer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 02:14
only error message recieved
------------------------------------
dark basic audio plugin - LOAD AUDIO
error opening audio file
------------------------------------
also it continues with the error message until i 'end task' it.
any ideas?

-------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Sempron 2800+ : 768MB RAM DDR400 : ATI 9800PRO 128MB AIW
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 03:26
As the plugin suggests it looks like the path you're feeding the plugin is incorrect. Maybe trying to print the path to your window as a debug will show you what is incorrect about the audio file path.

Check out my site!
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 17:16
sizer, I've removed your post, be careful about leaving your BGUI key in there ( your .bak file had it too ).

Here's what you posted:

Quote: " just double checked the playlist, source, and the files.
can't really figure this one out. i originally had the files in an encryted filesystem. then copied them out of there. still the same error. attached is the media,source, and project file.
NOTE: i did remove my uid&key from the startblue command.
[edit] brain not working.... forgot to include the playlist."

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 19:40
If you want to save me a lot of time include the .exe with your post sizer. It'll make it possible for me to debug the program by stepping through each line of code. If you wanted to be extra nice you could throw in a "wait key" as the first command in your compiled source so I can place break points after that in certain dll's.

Check out my site!
sizer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2005 22:31 Edited at: 24th Oct 2005 00:25
last time i'm trying this.
frickin forums keep eating my post.
[edit]gonna have to grab it off my web,
give me a minute to upload it then i'll re-edit with a direct link for u.[edit-2.9]check your email man. will have to rename the file from .gif to .7z
my smtp eats all other file formats.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 06:39
There are two problems within your .exe I found. First is that when you using BlueGUI to add your playlist item to the listbox it is returning an error status, so that is something you'd want to look at first. Because of this error just mentioned the strings aren't populated so when the code calls the load audio function you are passing a NULL value as the file path.

Check out my site!
sizer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 07:54
WOW....
i'm waiting for a reply from tgc at the moment, cause i just installed the advanced terrain plugin, and they sent me a blank registration email. can't believe i missed that one though. must of nodded off on the keyboard and broke it. will look back into it as soon as i can. thanks for your help.

Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 22:46 Edited at: 24th Oct 2005 22:50
Hi, Torrey!

Me and my team are making media player and we would like to use Your plugin for support with music formats. Is that OK with You? Of course, you'll be in the credits.
Here's the link to the screenshot of player:
[href]
http://thebeely.50webs.com/images/Player%20v0.1beta%20screenshot.html
[/href]

EDIT:
Don't know why that link thing won't work...

Thebeely team...
Great software...
Join us!
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 23:38
Quote: "Hi, Torrey!

Me and my team are making media player and we would like to use Your plugin for support with music formats. Is that OK with You? Of course, you'll be in the credits."

Yes that's fine with me. I think you're the third person since the release of this plugin that started a media player app, and the first to use a visualization with it.

Check out my site!
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 17:06
Hi Torrey, and thanks a lot!

Visualization is moving randomly, actually.
Don't know how to make it to move depending on music. If it can be done at all. And, I don't know why, but when I use "audio position" command, it all crashes.

Thebeely team...
Great software...
Join us!
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 04:35 Edited at: 26th Oct 2005 04:43
Torrey, my media player is not teh tits, without this plugin, so I decided to debug somemore, and I've discovered that it's crashing on the load audio command, when I go from having an MP3 file loaded, to an OGG file loaded. I'm definately deleting the audio before loading a new one, so I don't know why it's crashing.

The 'crash' is silent one, and gives no error message, but DB Pro automatically generates one of those crash.txt files. But, by using a series of prompts, I've discovered it bombs out on the load audio command.

I've tried using all forms of delays as well, as you suggested, even up to a second, and yet it still happens. These problems do not occur when using the equivalent DB Pro music commands.

I'm also still experiencing the hang on exit bug as well, which is proving much harder to debug. I'm also definately deleting the audio before exiting. This sort of hints that the audio is not deleting cleanly (IMO). Perhaps it is not a problem with your plugin at all, but instead a problem with the Audiere library.

Thanks for any more help you can provide,
- Rpg Cyco

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 09:27 Edited at: 26th Oct 2005 10:23
This latest release for version 1.5 is final. Even though my test runs came up clean, if you find any bugs please report then in this thread and I will add the fix to the 2.0 release.

The install files linked in my first post on this thread have been updated, enjoy!

P.S. The update for DGSDK is coming soon!

Check out my site!
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 10:25 Edited at: 26th Oct 2005 10:28
Quote: "Torrey, my media player is not teh tits, without this plugin, so I decided to debug somemore, and I've discovered that it's crashing on the load audio command, when I go from having an MP3 file loaded, to an OGG file loaded. I'm definately deleting the audio before loading a new one, so I don't know why it's crashing.

The 'crash' is silent one, and gives no error message, but DB Pro automatically generates one of those crash.txt files. But, by using a series of prompts, I've discovered it bombs out on the load audio command.

I've tried using all forms of delays as well, as you suggested, even up to a second, and yet it still happens. These problems do not occur when using the equivalent DB Pro music commands.

I'm also still experiencing the hang on exit bug as well, which is proving much harder to debug. I'm also definately deleting the audio before exiting. This sort of hints that the audio is not deleting cleanly (IMO). Perhaps it is not a problem with your plugin at all, but instead a problem with the Audiere library.

Thanks for any more help you can provide,
- Rpg Cyco"

With the new release that is out your problems should be gone. Redownload from the links up top (in the first post).

[edit]
I was playing around with the new release some more, and it feels faster in processing then the previous ones.

Check out my site!
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 11:32 Edited at: 26th Oct 2005 13:01
Thanks so much! Your right, all my problems now seem to be gone!

Thanks again,
- Rpg Cyco

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 07:14
Quote: "Thanks so much! Your right, all my problems now seem to be gone!

Thanks again,
- Rpg Cyco"

No Problem, good luck with your project!

I installed the Windows Media SDK over the weekend and started looking over the documentation. If I find that it's not a complicated task to add WMA support into version 2.0 then it'll be added.

Check out my site!
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 21:19
wow thats really cool
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 06:49 Edited at: 12th Dec 2005 07:00
Version 2 will be worked on very soon, here's what is planned for it:

- WMA file support
- M3U playlists
- DarkScript Lite (embedded)*

* - DarkScript Lite will contain the regular script core command bindings, and also enhanced audio plugin script commands with simplistic interaction between dbpro and the plugin.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 17:22
Torrey - Just wanted to say thanks, this is an excellent and superuseful plugin Once you have wma support as well it will be perfect

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 06:31
Quote: "Torrey - Just wanted to say thanks, this is an excellent and superuseful plugin Once you have wma support as well it will be perfect"

Thanks for checking it out and leaving a comment! I have received an email recently from a user that has done some rough testing on this plugin and the one used by dbpro. The results he had were that upon using the plugin from TGC the fps dropped by 50, then by 10 each time another sound was added. With this plugin the fps dropped by 5 and even if a ton of sounds were added no more drops in fps were made.

About the WMA support...

I'm having a hell of a rocky start with the support for this file format. I've gotten the template for the new file format completed but the WMA uses a different style of usage than what Audiere does, so I'm left trying to figure out how to make it work. To say the least I have a major headache each day. It's the hardest addition to the plugin, but I think it'll be the most rewarding one.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 10:04
Good luck with it!

I guess the piracy prtection/liscence part of wmas means Microsft aren't keen on making it easy for anyone to be able to poke and prod em about too much? Mind u I always turn of such rubbish anyways, once I've paid for a song its mine to listen to when and where I want, and I'll play it on as many pcs, mp3 devices, cdrs and hdds as I want thanks Mr Gates

"The results he had were that upon using the plugin from TGC...."
You mean not your plugin, another one has those problems?

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 10:10
Quote: "You mean not your plugin, another one has those problems?"

Correct, he did a benchmark type test with TGC's sound plugin vs. my enhanced audio plugin. I was really surprised that using TGC's plugin causes such a fps drop. In the past when using TGC's plugin I didn't really pay much attention to the fps dropping. I developed this plugin for more media formats support and flexibility.

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 10:28
I downloaded and used your plugin to try and hack a doppler effect. The ability to use floats for a sound's volume rocks -the standard volume controls were too harsh and unsubtle for what I needed. Again, the float for pitch changing was very useful but unfortunately (and probably not your fault) tweaking the pitch every sync leads to a lot of crackling and distortion.

I'm going to "pre-render" the doppler wooshes now and use the volume and pitch to give variance.

To summarise: Nice one.

New 'n' Improved sig details how little I accomplish
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 16:21 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 16:54
Quote: "I downloaded and used your plugin to try and hack a doppler effect. The ability to use floats for a sound's volume rocks -the standard volume controls were too harsh and unsubtle for what I needed. Again, the float for pitch changing was very useful but unfortunately (and probably not your fault) tweaking the pitch every sync leads to a lot of crackling and distortion.

I'm going to "pre-render" the doppler wooshes now and use the volume and pitch to give variance.

To summarise: Nice one."

Thanks for the nice comment! The reason why you'll hear a lot of crackling and distortion is because machine code executes very fast and there's not enough time between the last pitch change to create the effect you were looking for. "Pre-renders" and homebrew timers would be a possible answer for you.

[edit]
If you ever need sounds check out this site. I've found lots of great sounds there that I've used in games, and in music for various effects.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 04:21
Torrey, a few questions:

1: Would you mind if I used this plugin with Quikly Studio products to add further functionality?
2: If I do, would you like a free copy? + a credit in the docs obv.!
3: As Quikly Game Pro can output to dbpro code, users wishing to do this will need to then download your dll. Do you therefore mind if I mirror the file? (ie host it on my webspace) to A save you bandwidth and B protect my a*se incase your site goes down and new users need it

Again, thanks for making such a cool plugin

Preorder EA here:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67575&b=8&p=0
+ Model Pro out now in Program Announcements!
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 05:51 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 05:53
Quote: "Torrey, a few questions:

1: Would you mind if I used this plugin with Quikly Studio products to add further functionality?
2: If I do, would you like a free copy? + a credit in the docs obv.!
3: As Quikly Game Pro can output to dbpro code, users wishing to do this will need to then download your dll. Do you therefore mind if I mirror the file? (ie host it on my webspace) to A save you bandwidth and B protect my a*se incase your site goes down and new users need it"

1. I don't mind at all, that's why I made it!
2. Sure, if you'd do that for me I will also send you v2.0 of my audio plugin w/license once it's complete.
3. If you use a setup file to install your product why not install the plugin automatically? If the users need to download it instead, you can use my host. I get up to 10gb/day bandwidth transfer, and my host has 24/hr tech support. So even if something goes down they work on it immediately. You can also mirror it if you'd like the feeling of having a backup incase something major did happen.

Quote: "Again, thanks for making such a cool plugin"

I'm really happy that you like it enough to use it in your Quikly Game Pro product! Thanks!

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 08:47
"1. I don't mind at all, that's why I made it!"
Excellent thats what I figured - just thought I'd ask to be polite

"2. Sure, if you'd do that for me I will also send you v2.0 of my audio plugin w/license once it's complete."
That would be great and much appreciated, thank you

"If the users need to download it instead, you can use my host. I get up to 10gb/day bandwidth transfer, and my host has 24/hr tech support. So even if something goes down they work on it immediately. You can also mirror it if you'd like the feeling of having a backup incase something major did happen."
Thank you, that's what I'll do then, I'll link to your site and put up a mirror too

"I'm really happy that you like it enough to use it in your Quikly Game Pro product! Thanks!"
No problem at all It adds extra functionality without me having to do any work Gotta be good!

Many thanks again, I'll email you properly when I've done more about this

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 11:48
Nice plugin, btw. I've been trying to whip up a quick tech demo in 2 days (dec. 23 + dec. 24, i should get back to work ) and I needed something to play Ogg files. This works really well!

The 'Audio White Noise' function is brilliant too, it probably saved me about half an hour scouring the internet for a similar effect (My own sound-making skills are, er, crap.)

Cheers and happy christmas.

16-colour PNGs pwn.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2005 03:03
Quote: "Nice plugin, btw. I've been trying to whip up a quick tech demo in 2 days (dec. 23 + dec. 24, i should get back to work ) and I needed something to play Ogg files. This works really well!"

Good luck with the tech demo! I'm fascinated with them, but I've never really took the time to understand how they are created.

Quote: "The 'Audio White Noise' function is brilliant too, it probably saved me about half an hour scouring the internet for a similar effect (My own sound-making skills are, er, crap.)"

The pink and white noise I wasn't too sure about adding in support for because in my mind I was thinking "what do game creators need this for?" If you've found a creative way to use it, please let me in on the secret!

Quote: "Cheers and happy christmas."

Merry Christmas to you too!

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 16:06
Torrey - I've noticed a slight problem with the plugin, if you exit the program without deleting the audio, it crashes. For example:

load audio 1, "music.mp3"
loop audio 1
do
x=x+1
set cursor 1,1
print x
if spacekey()=1 : STOP AUDIO 1 : delete audio 1 : end : endif
loop

if you run that code and exit by pressing space key, it works fine. However if you press escape to exit, it crashes (or does on my pc anyway)

The program seems to shut down ok, but its still on the task bar and when you force windows to shut it, it says its stopped responding, before closing peacefully.

I would say this doesn't matter as you can easily disable the escape key, and write a code to delete it all and THEN exit when escape is pressed, trouble is us Win XP users can still use Alt+F4, Ctrl Alt & Delete and other ways to exit which aren't able to be turned off in dbpro (disable system keys doesn't get them in XP)

Is there any way to fix this? Also any news on wma files?

No pressure/worry about it, as I said before, this is a great dll and really useful

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 16:29
Quote: "Torrey - I've noticed a slight problem with the plugin, if you exit the program without deleting the audio, it crashes. For example:

load audio 1, "music.mp3"
loop audio 1
do
x=x+1
set cursor 1,1
print x
if spacekey()=1 : STOP AUDIO 1 : delete audio 1 : end : endif
loop

if you run that code and exit by pressing space key, it works fine. However if you press escape to exit, it crashes (or does on my pc anyway)

The program seems to shut down ok, but its still on the task bar and when you force windows to shut it, it says its stopped responding, before closing peacefully.

I would say this doesn't matter as you can easily disable the escape key, and write a code to delete it all and THEN exit when escape is pressed, trouble is us Win XP users can still use Alt+F4, Ctrl Alt & Delete and other ways to exit which aren't able to be turned off in dbpro (disable system keys doesn't get them in XP)

Is there any way to fix this? Also any news on wma files?

No pressure/worry about it, as I said before, this is a great dll and really useful"

Yeah, what you mentioned here was the only major downside to this plugin. The reason you must delete each audio created is because for each sound file you load it uses streams and those streams must exit properly. I did try to find a way to work around this problem but wasn't successful.

Possibly in the next version (2.0) I'll add support to get rid of this problem. It would involve me adding in ADE (advanced disassembler engine) to disassemble the dbpro code in memory and patch the return instruction that occurs before the program exits to delete the streams. I'm not completley sure this is a "legal" method though, but it's really simple, can someone answer this for me?

As far as the wma news for version 2.0, I haven't worked much on this plugin in the past month since I'm trying to finish up the EA version of DarkScript for people. I never realized how much work went into creating a commerical product. I easily put 40 or more hours a week into these projects.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 16:33
ah ok, well thats no problem, I can work around it Thanks for the quick response! And yeah, its a lot of work isn't it Good luck with Dark Script by the way it loks like you're doing a really good job

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 16:51
Quote: "ah ok, well thats no problem, I can work around it Thanks for the quick response! And yeah, its a lot of work isn't it Good luck with Dark Script by the way it loks like you're doing a really good job"

Thanks, if you have an msn name and get on there often maybe you can email me the address to add to my list and we can chat sometime about this topic. In the really near future I'll try adding in ADE to the 1.5 final version and you could test it if you have time?

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 16:57
"In the really near future I'll try adding in ADE to the 1.5 final version and you could test it if you have time?"
Sure that sounds great

As for MSN, I don't tend to use it (as it distracts me from working ) but I'll email you

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 19:39
Wow, this is free? When you mentioned it over on the Blackout thread I thought you needed to buy it.

Quote: "Don't forget that DBPro loads those WAV files in memory, so if you load a bunch of sounds that are of high quality you'll have a huge decrease in fps. I didn't find that out until someone benchmarked my audio plugin against DBPro's built in support."

You should've mentioned it's free, if this supports all those formats, and performs better than the DBPro commands then we're definitely using it. Cheers Torrey!

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 05:30
Quote: "Wow, this is free? When you mentioned it over on the Blackout thread I thought you needed to buy it."

EAP v1.5 is free.

Quote: "You should've mentioned it's free, if this supports all those formats, and performs better than the DBPro commands then we're definitely using it. Cheers Torrey!"

Sorry about that. You're free to use it for whatever project you'd need it for.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 13:01
Been playing around with it. Very cool.

Are you still working on it (Adding features) or are you leaving it as it is?
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 14:56
Quote: "Been playing around with it. Very cool.

Are you still working on it (Adding features) or are you leaving it as it is?"

Thanks, yes this project will move forward to the next version. Here's some new features that will be expected with v2.0:

- Updated trigger zones. The current ones aren't so great.
- Trying for WMA support.
- M3U playlist support.
- Scripting language for external control of audio.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 10:56
Sounds good. Are you looking at adding more functionality for tracker files (mod/xm)?
oh say, stuff like, CURRENT PATTERN, SET PATTERN.

Is it possible to do something like "GET NOTEON modfile, channelno" ? To check when a note is being triggered on a particular channel. I've used something like it way back on AMOS, but never seen anything like it elsewhere.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 18:10 Edited at: 16th Feb 2006 18:11
I hath found a bug!

Deleting sounds makes any existing sounds loop even when using "play audio". Sounds loaded afterwards do not suffer this problem.

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 19:27
Thanks for posting the bug, we're talking on msn, so I'll fill in other people as to what's going on. The reason for the bug that the device reference pointer needs to be deleted before exiting the application, and the delete audio command does this each time it's called. Which ended up causing this strange problem.

Also, thanks to Hamish for the deconstructor finding in the help file of dbpro. I can completely remove this need to delete audio before exiting since dbpro can call this deconstructor in my plugin and free up the memory.

It still might be a little bit of time before v2.0 is released so I will most likely release a v1.75 to fix this issue and completely remove the need for making sure audio is deleted before exiting.

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 19:55
That would be awesome, aside from the crashing when you don't shut down properly, this thing is perfect for my evil plans (or my friends ideas for Katey chapter 2's music anyway) - so whoooo

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 16:06
Torrey don't know if this has been posted have you got any plans for .m4a support (It's an i tunes file type) that would be awesome

Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 17:24
Quote: "That would be awesome, aside from the crashing when you don't shut down properly, this thing is perfect for my evil plans (or my friends ideas for Katey chapter 2's music anyway) - so whoooo"

Hopefully I get the chance to make the quick update this week. It really doesn't take me long, and it'll benefit everybody that uses this plugin.

Quote: "Torrey don't know if this has been posted have you got any plans for .m4a support (It's an i tunes file type) that would be awesome "

I'll have to take a look at the file format and see what's possible. I'm shooting for WMA support first.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 17:11
Cool it would be great if you can if you need me to i'll upload reason is treason by kasabian

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:55:49
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:55:49