Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Cloth & Particles question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 21:39 Edited at: 12th Oct 2005 22:05
Hi,

Is there a way to get the particles to radiate away from a central position in all directions?

There are two commands that suggest they would do just that: set emitter explode and set radial emission. but no matter how I use them the particles still emit vertically.

Thanks

[Edit] Also whilst on the subject can the particles be emitted in a direction other than up? So, for example, rocket thrust could emit from behind a rocket in the opposite direction to that in which the rocket is travelling?

Thanks again

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 23:48
At the risk of being blasted by others here...download my SmartParticles (link in my sig). It's free, never got past the beta stage and hopefully it will work for you (seems OK for ~ 75% of users).

You can play to your hearts content, and then export the DB Source code. It's the best way to experiment and see what is possible.

Quickstart guide: Add an emitter, change the parameters using the SmartSliders. Just click and drag the values up and down. Some of them have a right-click and drag for a second set of values. This is where it will work or fail...some people struggle with the sliders.

It also installs a handful of suitable images.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 09:20
I must be one of the 25%

When I click on a slider the cursor jumps approx 100 pixels down and right and sets the value to the maximum.

Whilst I think the cloth & particle pack has a reasonable help file, it could certainly do with some more general info.

For example: without the pack, objects are objects and particles are particles. With the pack, particles are objects and are positioned with the position object command. It took me ages to figure that out. There is no mention of it at all in the help files.

Is there anything else undocumented that would make things a lot easier to understand?

Thanks

Great Britain would be Amazing Britain if it wasn't for idiots like you bringing down the average!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 11:59
Don't know if you saw it, but there was a showcase download on my SmartParticles Site.

Well, it's a mess, but attached is my showcase folder, all the media, source etc. Every effect has it's own include file, so if you see something in the showcase you like the look of, you can just look at it's include file.

You'll need the enhancements pack to compile. Either that, or just delete the OGG commands.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 12:02
...and to answer your original question, you need a sphere or box emitter to radiate in all directions. The basic one emits in one direction only.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:21:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:21:38