Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Block Verse - (screens & demo)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2005 03:52
Sorry Xenocythe, I haven't been able to use the computer with the unaltered models yet, so I don't have anything to give you yet.
I'll try tomorrow. All I have to do is get the models. I already have diagrams of how they're supposed to move.

And unfortunately the collision isn't perfect. When the block hits the ground, it keeps going for a moment before setting to the right height. But you never get errors where blocks fall through something or start shaking anymore. That's what I meant by for the most part.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 06:21
@Xenocythe, you've got mail.

...And I've cut the file size in half without any noticable loss in quality.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2005 21:49
Bizar,
You've got mail too!

Get on MSN, there was a stupid HOTMAIL thing.
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 01:31
hi,i like the cartoon style of your game,nice work
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 02:59 Edited at: 13th Nov 2005 05:03
Quote: "Get on MSN, there was a stupid HOTMAIL thing."

MSN is giving me trouble. It refuses to take my password, or send me an e-mail with a new one like it said it would.

As soon as I can I'll send you an exe. file instead of rar., or I can just post it here if you want.

@David, thanks.

EDIT: A good number of people seem to get stuck on the second level, so I'm going adjust it a bit to make the solution more obvious.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 03:18
Ah, screw it. My e-mail's giving me trouble with attachments now as well, so I'm just posting it here.

Click the link to download the models and instructions.
http://www.cusound.com/download/games/modelstuff.zip

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 03:26
Alright, once I figure ot that diagram I'll get to work
BTW, is this DBC?
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 03:46
Quote: " is this DBC?"

Yes.

Sorry the diagram's confusing, e-mail me if you have any questions.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 13:31
Ah, sh*t. I need them in .lwo, .obj, or .3DS cause I can't import .X

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 18:37
Nice awesome cool game man! I loved the original, and this is looking a pretty pretty good...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2005 22:30 Edited at: 15th Nov 2005 12:37
I'll get you some 3Ds soon...

@Flindiana Jones, Thanks. The original was such an awesome concept, but limited by the TI-83.

I've found a way to make the game look even more like a cartoon, by slightly altering the prespective.

I still want to know what people would like to see for a bonus...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 02:05 Edited at: 17th Nov 2005 02:06
Okay, Xenocythe. Here's the new download. This one has 3ds.

http://www.cusound.com/download/games/model_stuff.rar

I'm taking a break from programming for a while (probably the rest of the week ), so I won't have any updates until I start again. I'll try and post some new screens when I do.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 02:57
I loved the look of it, the fact that you could like skip the intro screens, and the new levels I saw, but the load time for each level and the game in general was horrific.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 05:13 Edited at: 18th Nov 2005 06:25
@Flindiana Jones, are you talking about the entire time it takes for the level-win movie to play out? Because the levels load at the end of that, when the last frame of the vid pauses for a moment. But since you mentioned it, I added a cool music effect that makes any load times less noticeable and more a part of the game (I don't consider that programming, as if I did, that would mean I'd interrupted my own break!! ).

Here's the level start view for level seven. This is by far my favorite level start.

For those of you have just started reading this thread, all the other cool images can be found of the first page.

Stay tuned, I should have a demo soon- not much left for the new demo but the animations, and a few extra touches I want people to see before the final release.

Speaking of animations, do those models work Xenocythe?

Edit: I figured out what the bonus will be, he he heh...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 22:16 Edited at: 28th Nov 2005 04:58
B-U-M-P

I just want to say this isn't dead, I'm just I bit busy at the moment. The new demo is basically ready; I'm just waiting for the animations from Xenocythe.

I've also added a bunch of cool effects like flashes when you collect keys and falling snow in the fith level, as well as considerably more sound effects, and a large number of bug fixes.

I've also finished the ninth level. I'll post a screen once the scenery for it is completed. (when my modeler starts working again )

Check the WIP board for updates on Block Verse
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2005 22:24
AGHHH!

I did some animations, next day I can't find the animations, I try again, Blender acts up and freezes every time its something over 10 polys (STUPID friggen thing!) and now I can't find anything else that can do animations correctly for DBC!!!!!

It's so annoying, cause boned animation doesn't work for DBC either, and I need a limb animtor, but I can't find any!!

I'll keep trying, sorry that this happened... truly sorry.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 05:02
It's okay, I can wait until you're able to animate them (hopefully sooner than later, though). In the meantime, I'll continue to work on improving this, as well as a few other projects...

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 15:40
Alright, finally having taken time to beat all the levels in the demo, some feedback:
The music from level 5 didn't stop: it overlayed the much cooler level 6 music. The load time is now much faster; it got faster every time I played it untill it's actually pretty speedy. The controls were somewhat unresponsive: I couldn't get the key on Level 6 because the controls wouldn't readt fast enough. Level 5 took way to long for the same reason.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 04:16
@Flindiana Jones, first, I'd like to congratulate you for completing the demo.
About the music, I really don't know why that happened to you. I tested the demo before a released it and that wasn't an issue for me (don't say that the lava music is cooler than the winter music... Andrew Neal might get mad at you ). The unresponsiveness I'm assuming came from the significant lag in those levels, as I've had no problems with the controls being unresponsive. So you know though, you need to mastered the controls pretty well to get the key on the sixth level.
And about the thing you e-mailed me about, I haven’t had time to start it yet, but I’ll get working on it as soon as I have the time.

Well I hope you don't have any of those problems in the new demo I'm building now, as I've lowered the number of protocols, so the fps is much higher in the larger levels than before. You may have also noticed the tutorials were a bit clunky, and I've fixed that as well.

Alright, I'm ready to compile a demo pretty much, just waiting for animations. Xenocythe, could you give me an estimate on when you think you'll have finished the animations? I need to know, because if it isn't soon, I'll have to release the demo without them, and just put them in for the final.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 05:41
My dream has come true... I've been mentioned in the news letter!!

Well, I have a new demo that's half the size of the old one uncompressed, plays faster, and is really just way better in most respects. I'll upload it once my server stops being stupid.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 16:33
Wahey! You deserve it!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 22:37
Ok, sorry, but more bad news.
After I knew that I can't use milkshape cause it does boned animation, I tried Blender. Blender froze, so I looked and looked and found a limb animator for DBC! SO I open the model in it and I see that the entire model is one limb... I decide to try and make it more than 1 limb in Milkshape so I open it up and the model IS already in different groups!

Blender is to blame. If it wouldn't freeze everytime, I could've done animations!!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 01:25 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2005 05:34
@andrew neale, thanks.

@Xenocythe, ah, oh well. Does this mean you can't animate the models for me (if so I'll figure something out)?

Seeing as the TGC has spotlighted my game in their Newsletter, here's the new demo!!!!!!!!!!

!NEW DEMO!
http://www.cusound.com/download/games/BlockVerse_Demo.zip

This demo runs much faster, takes up way less space, and is in .zip format so more people can download it. It features tons of improvements, and is really worth a download for those of you who haven't tried the old demo, or had trouble with it. Please feel free to post any complaints or suggestions here, as well as anything else you want to about the demo.

Uncompressed the game is about 40 Megs, as apposed to 120 Megs of the old demo. Compressed, it's 2/3s the size of the old demo.

Enjoy.

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 18:32
Yay! *downloads*

I needed to re-download this for my laptop anyway

16-colour PNGs pwn.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 15:35
Thank, Blanky.

...No one else?

Well, anyways, there's a new DEMO out in my last post, and here it is again...
http://www.cusound.com/download/games/BlockVerse_Demo.zip

And here's some screens taken directly from the demo...

For those of you who tried it and experienced slowdown, this demo fixes that and you should be able to play through the entire thing at a full 30 frames per second the whole way though this time. There are tons of other improvements, but that is probably the biggest for people who have slow computers.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 17:56
Ashamed to say I've only just tried this, I really enjoyed it and the graphical style is excellent Unfortunately DBC games crash on my computer after about 5 minutes (never found out why) but you've done a really good job.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 23:12
Thanks, Kangaroo2! Sorry to hear that dbc games only run for a few minutes on your computer though...

Well, today in the Block Verse world things aren't going too well. The ninth level isn't playing out too well now that I've added something chasing the character, and I'm getting a lot of unexplained slowdown. I may have to drastically shorten the last level to just include the first of its 3 parts, as that part is running the best at the moment. It will mean a much shorter last level than I wanted, but it will still be larger than any of the other timed levels.

Other than that, I've made a lot of progress with the design documents for my next two games.

So no one else is going to try it? Man, I need to learn to keep the word block out of my thread titles…

mr joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 01:13
Hi, I downloaded your game. It looks very nice but I got a "Program Error: Sever Exception!" just after it starts to load up. It's probably something to do with my computer as no-one else has had the problem. I'm running Win98, 900mhz, and i do have DirectX and all that. If that helps.

Keep up the good work though.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 01:52
I played for a while and got stuck at level 4. I was fine up until I got to the very top and there was one more block that I couldn't get past. Great game!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 00:10
@mr joe, hmm.. That might have had something to do with one of the models, as I've gotten that on a few occasions try playing it again, or re-download it. If that doen’t works, then I have no clue. Maybe it has something to do with win98.

@Antidote, Glad to here you like it. And since a good number of people are having trouble with some of the tricky levels, I might add a hint for each level in the help menu.

No updates at the moment, school work is laying on a bit heavy at the moment. I'll try and push this weekend, and finish the rest of the main game. Then I can work on things like saving, the bonus, semi-animations, and getting the key counter to actually work rather than just appear to work. Then I can look through the code once again and increase the optimization even more... I really want to get this done for Christmas.

I've also promised myself not to post my next game until I finish this one, so that's even more incentive to get it done.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 20:46
I know I've seen it before but those screens look great, especially for DBC!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 01:14
Alright,

UPDATE
All the levels in the game are done, including the two bonus levels, which gives the game a total of 11 levels.
The level select is almost finished, and blaa blaa blaa.

Well, rather go through the whole list, I think it's enough to say the game will almost certainly be ready for the 25th.

Well, here's a slightly altered version of the add I made for Block Verse in for my school magazine.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 10:38
It´s a great game! I didn´t know DBC was able to handle cel-shading... How did you succeed with that?!
Please reveal your secrets! please, please, please, please...
I also found a bug on the first lv. When I had moved the first block and was going to jump on to it, the game crashes with an error message saying something with line 99 (sorry, I don´t remember more of it).
I´m looking forward to the release of this fantastic game, Bizar Guy!

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 11:35
Quote: "UPDATE
All the levels in the game are done, including the two bonus levels, which gives the game a total of 11 levels.
The level select is almost finished, and blaa blaa blaa."

Awweeesooommeee. Nice to see you're still working on this.

16-colour PNGs pwn.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 06:51

Block collision is PERFECT!!!!!!!!

Not only that, but the game runs faster in later levels now as well!

@zzz, ah, the secret of dbc cell shading... take a maker and outline the objects on your screen... Ha ha, no, just joking.
I addressed this on the first page, but here it is again. Note, I believe you have to do this in a modeler, but you may be able to do it directly in dbc, I've just never tried. First you make a model, and then you copy and paste it. Make the copy slightly larger than the original and then place it in the same place as the original model. Then paint the copy black, and invert it (or scale in the negatives). And ta da! An outlined model!! It's slightly more complex than that, but there's really not much more to it.

About that bug, I've tested both tutorials many times, and have never come across it myself. All the bugs in the tutorial should be gone, but I guess they aren't. All I can say is try playing the game again, and don't manually move the camera around until the tutorial is finished. The camera shouldn't be a problem in the newest demo, but it may help just the same.

@blanky, yep. And if I don't finish by the 25th, the gods of programming will probably have me working on it forever.

Well, it's almost 1am where I am, so I think I'll go to- ZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 16:37 Edited at: 19th Dec 2005 20:05
Aha! Thanks for the tip Bizar guy!
I´ll try to use this "function" as some kinda glow effect on some monster in my game!
And that bug... I tried it again and it didn´t appear...

[Edit] Phew, that cel-shading is a lot of work. I have to move all the vertices to their opposite position. It´ll be hard to make high-poly objects...

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 03:32
Hmm... what kind of computer are you running it on? That shouldn't happen, and I think I should be getting more complaints if it does...

what modeler are you using? It shouldn't be that dificult to do it. The only thing I worry about when I outline objects is that they'll be too high polly.

SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 08:43
I get a nice warm nintendo-like feeling looking at this. Looking great!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 20:53 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 12:27
Bizar Guy,
First: The error message only appeared once. And my specs are:
P4 3,4GHz : 1Gb RAM : Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra : Direct X 9.0c.

Second: I found a handy "flip normals" button! So now it´ll be easy to cel-shade!

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 11:13
When I'm using anim8or, I generally create a two-sided material with a transparent front and a completely black back... Then I clone & scale the clone of the model a bit bigger and I apply the material.

Works fairly nicely.

16-colour PNGs pwn.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 12:02 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 22:55
@SirFire, Thanks!

@zzz, sorry, I miss-read your post... the smiley face threw me off. Well, I'm glad you found an easier way to cel-shade! That's actually what I do, as I have a similar button.

@blanky, hmm, interesting. I imagine then that there must be many different ways to cel-shade in different modelers...

Progress recently has included the cleaning up of the code, which is quite helpful, and actually speeding up the game! I wish I could be doing more at the moment, but teachers seem to think that they need to give us tons of work to get into the holiday spirit.

Edit: I've made a list of what I still have left to do. There are twelve things on it, ranging from adding a sound here and there, to making the auto-save.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 01:58
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Level nine isn't working. I can't get the monster chasing the player to make sense without running through boxes, and for some reason the level is going too slow to play, the puzzles are screwing up, and... well, I've had it. If you look though this thread you'll notice I've had lots of problems with level nine, and I'm sick of it. Sorry, but there are only going to be ten levels, not eleven. Instead of having the boss level, I'll just extend the final cut scenes a bit, and be done. If I work on this again after Christmas and Hanukah, I'll think about fixing level nine, but I doubt it will ever happen.

In other news, my list of things to do has dropped from 12 to 9.

btw, sorry for the double post, but I had to say that...

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 05:56 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 05:58
I dunno if it messed up whilst downloading, but I get a "System Error : Severe Exception!.", happening at the VERY beginning, a black screen appears then the error shows...

System Specs:
Windows XP - home edition - Service pack 1...
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40 Ghz
512 MB Ram

Nvidia graphics card - 128mb ram

Direct X 9.0c.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 12:31
Idea!
Bizar guy, the monster doesn´t have to move, just put him in one position and make him shoot laser(or something) at blockman! That should be easier to fix.

new programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 06:18
i like the mario-looking guy =D
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 20:26 Edited at: 28th Dec 2005 05:07
Sorry everyone, but there's going to be a delay... I should still be able to release it before New Years, but for now I can't program and have to engage in family activities... After this game I hope to start turning out games much faster.

@zzz, that's a great idea, but it's too different from the original one for me to make it at the moment. If I use it I'll have to design and program and entirely different level, and I'd have to make it so that Block Man has to constantly move, which is significantly different than outrunning something.

EDIT: Expect Block Verse to appear in the Program Anouncments Board friday, as well as the other game in my new sig here in the WIP... I really hope that's the final deadline.

Diablos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 02:51
loving the game. i also had the problem on the first tutorial of it crashing when i jumped onto the first block, but that only happened on the first run through. after that it was fine.

oh and about the lvl 9 problem... have you thought about the monster conjuring up falling blocks? i mean sticking with the block theme and all, plus it would ensure constant movement. like a small shaow appearing on the area the blocks fall a split second before they hit kind of thing.

-Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 00:24
Sorry for the delay!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, but I really just can't say when this will come out anymore. I'll give no warning ahead of time, it will just appear in the program announcements one day and I'll bump this thread with a link to it. Hopefully it will happen before the end of the month, with more updates than I have planed right now.

@Diablo, that would probably work, but the story has already been carefully planned out, so I have to have the creature chase Block Man into a portal/door. I'll just have to convert the ending to a series of pictures.

Please, everyone, I know I’d be awesome to have a boss level, but when it comes right down to it, this is a puzzle game. I have many other things on my schedule at the moment, and I barely have time for this at all.

I WILL finish this. I just can't say how soon anymore.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 23:19 Edited at: 13th Feb 2006 23:19
I know I shouldn't resurrect dead threads, but...

...THE END IS NEAR...

BlockVerse is almost completed... It should be less than a week before I release the final version. I know I've been pretty lousy at keeping on schedual in the past, but I literaly have almost nothing left to do before the game is completed.

There are twelve new screenies on my VERY new site , and if you haven't downloaded the most recent demo, you can get it there. You need to register to download, but the registering process requires very little information. You may have noticed that all my downloads on the forums have stopped working, so this is the only way to get the demo at the moment.

Here's a link to my site,
http://www.bizargames.com/

The Core
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 02:01
looks amazing well done 10/10

i'm E.T i have so much tech but yet i dont have a mobile phone! where is a land line when you need one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 04:24:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 04:24:17