Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Hey I got a question maybe someone might know. (Smart person)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 00:54
Ok I want to build a website for my team but I would like to build it on a free bannerless host. Anyone know of any.

I have tried all these:
Netfirms
Brinkster
Geocities
Tripod

So far the best ones I got are netfirms and brinkster.
Oh ya, I also would like to know of one thats free and I can have a short and simple address.

Post back please.
SmokieMcPot
Future Company Name = Blazing Fire
Current Website Name = Blazing Fire
Future Number is Eleventy
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 01:48
hmm, thats a hard one. try www.freewebs.com

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 02:11
ok heres a cheat go with one with banners and if you put it as a .htm it will add a banner but if you put a .txt it wont so just construct it around .txt

l8er

----- dark coder -----
The Lone Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 05:05
Hey dark coder I dont follow. I like the idea of getting rid of the banner that they force on your page but I dont follow in getting rid of it.

Do you have any more detailed instructions or other cheats.

Thanks
SmokieMcPot

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 05:27
look, its obvious smokie is not very literate in these things. to put it to you simply, smokie, its like this:

there is pretty much no way you are going to get a free, bannerless host. It is sadly obvious that you do not know anything internet languages like html or java. Even if you did, taking the banners off a site would be stupid, because you obviously wouldnt get much webspace.

talk to your parents, and ask them to buy you webspace for a small montly fee. But to me it sounds like you dont really need a great website, because you have shown nothing special on these forums.

Regardless of what you think you have of potential, banner hosts are fine for you. If you really have stuff to show off, buy a server. Theres no way around it. If not, at your current level, it would be too much trouble to try to (illegally I might add) remove banners from a free webhost. Its more trouble that its worth. I hope you take this advice seriously, because it is good advice.

To sum up, you wont get a good banner free host at your current level of internet and programming knowledge, and it may be a few years before you fully understand these concepts. Buy webspace, or stick with a free host, because its your best options.

Darken the skies, we are God.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 05:51
I'm sorry but I must agree with QuothTheRaven on that one...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
The Lone Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 06:10
Come on man you dont have to be mean to me. I do know HTML and I know a little CGI-Scripting.

I am not very advanced right now but I am trying to learn. You guys have all had way more experience than me. You guys are what 19+

I am not.

Well thanks anyway.
SmokieMcPot

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 06:44
Jesus crap QuothTheRaven, is that all you can do is insult people. Everytime that I've seen any of your posts your insulting somebody.

Smokie don't listen to them, they just don't understand what be a "beginner" means. We all know that they were "pros" the day they started anything.

You should probably just use a site like freewebs.com (as petrat said) or maybe netfirms.com. If I recall correctly, netfirms uses a really small banner at the top of your site and there aren't any popups. I don't know about freewebs though. I know that netfirms requires you to have an FTP client software. I always use AceFTP since it's free http://freeware.aceftp.com/download/download.html.

Most everyone here that has a site, uses a free hosting plan with banner adds. By the way, how old are you, I'm 16.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 11:08
nostril "Smokie don't listen to them, they just don't understand what be a "beginner" means. We all know that they were "pros" the day they started anything."

... and yet mysteriously they rarely demonstrate this "pro" ability with code I've deleted several "Quoth" posts in the past, I'm sure I will again.

Smokie - don't be put off, but do "live with" the free web hosts until you can afford some of your own web space and be done with banners for ever.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 19:11
look for one with pop-ups, they will allow you to forget about the banner.

PS to rub some salt. CGI scripting is not really technically the right term. PERL, C, PYTHON etc. is better terminoligy

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 21:30
i'm 16, and speaking from direct experience. I was there once...

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 21:49
and that was advice, not insulting...

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 21:50
also, having a "short simple address" means a domain name. This you HAVE to buy, because pretty much all free hosts put their name into your title.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 23:29
lol, sorry guys. I was in a bad modd... I guess thats no excuse but I'm under a lot of stress right now.

BTW-I'm almost 16, thats far less than 19, but I've had bad experiance with web hosts and such. I finally broke down and got myself a proper domain and server. And I was 14 at the time. I'm not sure if you can get a good banner free/popup free host, but you can certainly get a cheap one. A free domain from www.tk might work, if you don't mind it being .tk of course So if you can a good free host with no banners and such, but a long domain name, just get a .tk account as well

Sorry about the "brush off" before.

I wasn't trying to be mean, I just wasn't being helpful. And I don't claim to be a pro or anything. Many may call me an oldbie, but I'm not a pro. Sure I could do something cool in DB/P had I the time and the will. Unfortunately I don't... I have to find out were the hell to get $50,000 US to get into fullsail lol

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
The Lone Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 00:48
Nostril,
I am 14 1/2 By the way. It might say in my profile. If not i will put it in.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 01:09
it does work test this

u have your index.htm right?

just rename it to index.txt and make all the hyperlinks goto games.txt or models.txt

im not sure if it works if you put index.txt because it usually is .htm but anyways rename all your pages + hyprelinks to .txt

l8er

----- dark coder -----
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 01:18
it works with some providers not all though

l8er

----- dark coder -----
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 04:38
um... if you name it to a text file, wouldn't it also be displayed as a text file?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 05:15
"i'm 16, and speaking from direct experience. I was there once..."
Then act like it, both as beign 16 and as having been there once.

"um... if you name it to a text file, wouldn't it also be displayed as a text file?"
Yes it would be. The graphics and html/javascript wouldn't be there, but sometimes the information is well worth the graphical loss. And rapscaLLion, you weren't being mean or rude at all. You merely agreed with Quoth, who was rude. And when you agreed with him, I'm pretty sure you agreed with the advice and not with his insult to Smokie.

"14 1/2"
Ah man, I'm 16 and I berely learned about DB like two months ago from programmers heaven. Prior to that I was stugling with rewriting the Wolf3D engine in C. Arg I say, Arg.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 05:54
lol nostril you're the first person to have a public problem with me, and I still stand by my great advice.

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 06:07
fine by me

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 14:07
Hehe arg Yea I doubt your going to find any hosting thats a) Very dependable and free or b) the previous and has no form of advertisement.

I have seen hosts that tht only thing they do is you have to put a small text link at the bottom of your page linking to them. No honkin banner or nothin, small text link I would settle with that

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 14:07
PS No I dont remember where, it was on some top 100 web hosts and their link didnt work *whimpers*

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 15:05
www.vapournet.com is the homegrown website provider around here.

u should email mike for a cheap solution if u are dedicated.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 20:26
you could use

http://web1000.com

they have no ads unlimited bandwidth and for free but d/l are limited to 1 or 2 meg

l8er

----- dark coder -----
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 06:13
I like http://www.doteasy.com -- register your domain name with them and bannerless hosting is free.

Surrealist writing toy -- http://www.iconpoet.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:53:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:53:48