Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Project almost done but... (message to DarkSDK developers)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 00:51
Hello, I'm currently working on Carte Blanche, a full-scale adventure game with pre-rendered 3d graphics, music, voice acting, featuring around 6 hours of gameplay.

reference : [href]www.absurdus.net/carteblanche[/href]

We're almost in beta stage, the only thing missing is the voice acting which should be recorded within two weeks and some testing.

I don't think any games of this size has ever been released with DarkSDK and it could certainly be an interesting showcase for the product. The thing is, the performances are not really interesting.

Happily, that could be easily fixed. Almost everything visually is contained in mpg files displayed with the dbPlayAnimationToImage and then pasted on the screen (with some sprites). When the animations stop, I get a very satisfactory 70 fps (even if I continue pasting the image every frame) but when the animations are playing (most of the time) I get a sucking 20-30 fps on a good machine! Only for displaying animation! (I tried other formats than mpg and it's the same thing)

It's the only drawback for minimal requirements, as far as memory goes, it stays around 30mb and it's pretty light in all areas.

If this only function could be optimized, it would greatly improve the game, increasing chances of publishing (we're in contact with 5 publishers worlwide up to now) and extend DarkSDK's visibility (and other The Game Creator tools)

Best regards,

Jonathan Lessard

Jonathan
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
From Montreal,Quebec my self. You usisng Old Montreal for any scenery in this? I always though the old port area would be an excellent scene in a game. Especially some of our cathedrals.

- Do it, Do it Right, Do it right now..
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm finally downloading the trailer... the pictures look really good!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 21:05 Edited at: 17th Nov 2005 21:06
I think TGC should give a little more support to those people having real projects near completion. Your product looks very good indeed.

They probably don't have time right now, with that 5.9 update, but I think that the speed of that command will be hard to increase anyway.

Congrats again on your product, by the way, don't you use any shader?
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
FIRST RATE STUFF!!!

ready for prime time as far as i can see... good luck with this, although, judging from the video, luck is only gonna play a small part in this production...

--Mike
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looked at the trailer: really liked the look of it - great stuff!

Quote: "
Almost everything visually is contained in mpg files displayed with the dbPlayAnimationToImage and then pasted on the screen (with some sprites)."

I've been meaning to ask this, tough: does this mean that you are not rendering those scenes/characters in realtime on dgsdk? Are they prerended and being blitted?
Unkelben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 04:30
Thanks for the encouragement!

X1B : Yes, we've been inspired a lot by the architecture of the Old Montreal. No cathedrals yet, though.

Miguel : You're right, they're pre-rendered. In the beginning, it was all real-time, but the advantages in the gameplay were really not worth the loss of visual quality.

Morcilla : Shaders? No, it's all pre-rendered.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 16:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 16:32:57