Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NewBish

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 01:44
I've been giving coding some pretty serious thought latley and want to start out on something 'share/free ware'.

I had done some programming when i was 12ish in BASIC on the good old AMSTRAD CPC (i'm 19 now) so i was wondering should i go for Q/Visual BASIC or just jump into something like C++ ?

I have the basic grasps of simple 'basic' programming but admitedly need a bit of a polish.

So BASIC or C or indeed any other suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
--Albert Einstein
Xlimun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 01:49
-sorry about the double post.

(would have been deleted if an edit/del post option was available)

--Albert Einstein
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 02:05
hey, i'll be 19 soon well i've basically gotten the grasp of the basic programming language (visual basic and dark basic) and most definately gonna move on to C++ sometime soon, maybe late this or next year. I'd guess after basic, the next logical step would be C++ in my opinion

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 12:22
C# or C.net (I am not sure what the difference is, [SHOUT] RABEN [/SHOUT] ) Is a good place to start at the moment.

.net framework allows great web development/applications programming at a decent price. (If you are at school, you should be able to get the school to buy a copy of .net studio for you (about $100) then you get VB, C, JAVA?, and the rest.

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 15:45
C# is a (vastly!) updated version of C++ created by the same developer who came up with C++ - personally I adore it and have coded in it for quite a while now. It needs the .NET framework to operate. That is all .NET is - a framework, it's not a "language" or a "driver" or anything like that - it's a framework that everything sits ontop of (and a damned powerful one too).

There is no such thing as C.net - you probably mean C++ .NET which is basically C++ using the .NET framework.

You don't get Java btw But yeah - get the educational price version of Visual Studio .NET for C#, C++ and VB .NET (ick! VB scum!)

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 15:59
Actually Rich, you can get Java for .NET - M$ called it J# to avoid copyright issues.

I have to say that C++ is probably the next best step to take (despite working for a Java software house).

An advantage that M$ have given C++ at the moment IMHO is the fact that you can use it in the 'normal' C++ way, or within the Framework at your discretion.

And C++ is a cross-platform development language, although this advantage will decrease in time (but not disappear) with .NET being ported to other platforms.
Xlimun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 19:44
Thnx.

--Albert Einstein

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 01:27:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 01:27:32